Morrissey Central "Another one bites the dust." (January 3, 2023)

Screenshot_20221203-1503362.png

Related item:

I agree with that .
I would love to take the daughter to shows in UK and Europe but it takes planning and you can make all these plans and spend thousands just to get a social media update saying " M is not playing tonight " then you hear he's well enough to go on the lash. When I was 30 I thought it meant M was bad ass . Now I just think hes a bit of selfish twat and couldn't give a shit about his fans .
The fact he thinks it's cool to say "sorry my LP cover was shit. Someone else done it " I mean , do it the f*** yourself you lazy loveless twat
Concerts, rather than sales of physical formats, support the lifestyle of pop stars these days: tickets are more highly priced accordingly. So it does seem both reckless and a little insulting to cancel concerts on a whim.

So many hateful and negative responses. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind.

I kind of agree. Most Mozz albums and some Smiths, have always had 6-7 magnificent songs, with maybe 2-3 songs that I dislike.
This said, Mozz always does try something very different with each album, and for me it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t.

An example would be, the secret of music and the truth about Ruth, but go back a few songs to river clean, and that could be easily said that that is one of his best songs for some years.
Overall I’ve always found his albums
To be magnificent and a tad disappointing all at the same time.

When did Central/he mention UK tour dates? They must have been removed sharpish because I never got my beady eye on them. Did see the ones for France and Belgium, though, was it around the same time?

And yeh, it's extremely weird, but sadly no longer unexpected, that the dates for the French-speaking gigs have never been mentioned again despite saying the actual "finalised" dates would be released last week.

What’s the point of Moz Central, I mean really ?
It’s meant to be a link to the fans but hardly any of the fans have any time for the site.

Well, half of it is. World Peace, Low In High School and Dog On A Chain are an excellent album between them.
My Love I Would Do Anything For You is a great opener.

I love I Wish You Lonely and Jackie while the end of Home Is A Question Mark is as good as a Moz ballad gets.

Israel is a great closer and I must be one of the few people that likes to hum along to All The Young People Must Fall In Love, although I've read that Noel Gallagher likes that one too.

Spent The Day In Bed is a cute little ditty ala Ask.

Who Will Protect Us From The Police
is lyrically a bit repetitive but the music is storming and I Bury The Living is some kooky experimental (for Moz) weirdness that I like.

For me the only weaker songs are Lap, Tel Aviv and Legs as they have a kind of same-ey feeling to them but in isolation I quite like them.

I know 95% of the board will disagree with most of this mini-review but tastes are individual and I stand by it. I'd reach for this album far quicker than I'd reach for Quarry which is overrated moosh (by Moz's standards.)

I love I Wish You Lonely and Jackie while the end of Home Is A Question Mark is as good as a Moz ballad gets.

Israel is a great closer and I must be one of the few people that likes to hum along to All The Young People Must Fall In Love, although I've read that Noel Gallagher likes that one too.

is lyrically a bit repetitive but the music is storming and I Bury The Living is some kooky experimental (for Moz) weirdness that I like.

For me the only weaker songs are Lap, Tel Aviv and Legs as they have a kind of same-ey feeling to them but in isolation I quite like them.

I know 95% of the board will disagree with most of this mini-review but tastes are individual and I stand by it. I'd reach for this album far quicker than I'd reach for Quarry which is overrated moosh (by Moz's standards.)

I hated much of it at first, and only loved a few particular songs, but it's been slowly and impressively growing on me over the years. Of the Chiccarelli records, it's the most cohesive and thematic. It's the one where if you're willing to go in with J.C.'s bombastic and operatic production style, it rewards you the most consistently. I still don't think the Tobias/Manzur/Lopez axis of co-writers is anywhere near where Whyte and Boorer were.

For me, the only bad songs at this point are Jacky and Spent the Day in Bed. Someone on here wisely remarked that Spent would've benefited from having a quasi-reggae arrangement, and I agree. He could've paid some homage to Johnny Marr and arranged it more like Rubber Ring or Frankly, Mr. Shankly. But it's just too dink-dinky-dink-dink with the keyboards as it is. And I don't know why Never Again Will I Be a Twin failed to make the cut.

What I've done with it is made a Spotify playlist from the deluxe album. With that album cover, and this modified track listing, I quite like it:
  1. My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
  2. I Wish You Lonely
  3. Never Again Will I Be a Twin
  4. Home Is a Question Mark
  5. I Bury the Living
  6. Back on the Chain Gang
  7. In Your Lap
  8. The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
  9. All the Young People Must Fall in Love
  10. When You Open Your Legs
  11. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?
  12. Israel

Well Morrissey, Low in High School was a rather dismal record, wasn't it. "Jackie's only happy when she gets off the stage."? So, Miley was employed to belt out a tune to give this latest effort a boost of sorts ? Then the "woman" changes it's mind and wants out? All after, you pulled the plug on your own record label, contract and promo co.? Was that it? You cancelled yourself ? New song title "I Cancelled Myself"! ,🙋

I really like Low in High School - always have. I don't understand all the negativity about it, and that's no offense to you. There are a few songs on the album I don't listen to, but just 2 or 3 of them. In my opinion, the album includes at least two of Morrissey's all-time best songs - Spent the Day and Girl from Tel Aviv. In Your Lap is also brilliantly unique for Morrissey, and Side A as a whole is terrific.

Morrissey should release his own records as many here have remarked already. Also, regarding Miley or anyone guesting on Morrissey records --- the fact that he's touring with a consistent lineup again, and recording basically right now - we're hopefully back to just Morrissey and his band playing on albums, without the need for any big-name guests (like BOT, Cali Son, and Dog on a Chain - though Bobby Don't You Think was a great duet). The Morrissey band has at least two additional really good singers: Alain and Gustavo.

Last edited:
  1. My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
  2. I Wish You Lonely
  3. Never Again Will I Be a Twin
  4. Home Is a Question Mark
  5. I Bury the Living
  6. Back on the Chain Gang
  7. In Your Lap
  8. The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
  9. All the Young People Must Fall in Love
  10. When You Open Your Legs
  11. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?
  12. Israel
May I suggest Lover-To-Be for that list? And to avoid the unlucky number, Spent the Day in Bed perhaps. Just for luck.

I quite like the songs that Mando wrote for him in IANADOAC and LIHS. I hope that New Year dinner that Morrissey had with him had a tinge of "business" in it.

I don't like Israel that much. I'm never too sure what to make of those lyrics. Sometimes they resonate awe, sometimes they feel too heavy with -somehow ambigious- Zionist sentiment. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Scandinavia or Istanbul, just to name a few city/country songs, do not have the same sentiment with Israel, and the poetry flows more freely in them.

Lyrics to The Girl from Tel-Aviv are much, much preferable for me, besides the part about oil. I'm not too sure why he had to stick that in because Israel is not rich in oil and I thought the US was a strict ally of them? Maybe he started another song on Iraq or Libya and said "Naahhh... can't be arsed with it. Lemme add that to Tel-Aviv". Anyway, I'm being a pedant but that's what Morrissey-Solo is for.

I think Quarry is very overrated as well, more than any other Morrissey album. I'd say it is only marginally better than Maladjusted, if at all.

I think Quarry is very overrated as well, more than any other Morrissey album. I'd say it is only marginally better than Maladjusted, if at all.
Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar each have tracks that are better than anything on …Quarry (the title tracks in particular) but, as an overall album, …Quarry is his best since Vauxhall &I.

May I suggest Lover-To-Be for that list? And to avoid the unlucky number, Spent the Day in Bed perhaps. Just for luck.

Lover-To-Be is decent, but it seems out of place for the album. Too whirligig and wacky. Just like Jacky and Spent are too fluff and pop. I like that the songs are often weighty and dissonant.

I quite like the songs that Mando wrote for him in IANADOAC and LIHS. I hope that New Year dinner that Morrissey had with him had a tinge of "business" in it.

I like some of the Lopez compositions, but Darling I Hug a Pillow was beyond the pale for me. I'll have to hope against you that the New Year's dinner was business. I'm cautiously looking forward to the reunion of the Alain Whyte partnership. Will Whyte's sensibilities have any effect on how Chiccarelli produces? Chiccarelli can play it straight sometimes (What Kind of People is pleasantly unadorned with his usual electro-twinkles). Do Morrissey & Whyte have another masterpiece (or two) on the level of Life Is a Pigsty or It's Not Your Birthday Anymore in them? I hope so.

Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar each have tracks that are better than anything on …Quarry (the title tracks in particular) but, as an overall album, …Quarry is his best since Vauxhall &I.
The title song, Trouble Loves Me, Alma Matters and Ambitious Outsiders are wonderful. I first listened to the 2009 reissue a couple of years after it was released, unaware of the original tracklist, and was shocked to see that This Is Not Your Country, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel, I Can Have Both and Heir Apparent were delegated to non-album B-sides*.

*This comment might be a bit anachronic. I don't know too much about which songs were recorded first or last.

I like some of the Lopez compositions, but Darling I Hug a Pillow was beyond the pale for me. I'll have to hope against you that the New Year's dinner was business. I'm cautiously looking forward to the reunion of the Alain Whyte partnership. Will Whyte's sensibilities have any effect on how Chiccarelli produces? Chiccarelli can play it straight sometimes (What Kind of People is pleasantly unadorned with his usual electro-twinkles). Do Morrissey & Whyte have another masterpiece (or two) on the level of Life Is a Pigsty or It's Not Your Birthday Anymore in them? I hope so.
Of course, if I had to choose between the two of them, I would definitely go for Alain. Mando, Manzur, Lopez, Tobias have composed very solid songs throughout the years but they've always been a bit "ehvenişer" as comparered to Alain's compositions.

...but will we ever hear those potential Morrissey/Whyte songs on a proper, physical/digital album? Released and distributed without drama? I highly doubt it now.

Of course, if I had to choose between the two of them, I would definitely go for Alain. Mando, Manzur, Lopez, Tobias have composed very solid songs throughout the years but they've always been a bit "ehvenişer" as comparered to Alain's compositions.

...but will we ever hear those potential Morrissey/Whyte songs on a proper, physical/digital album? Released and distributed without drama? I highly doubt it now.

True enough. If things keep on with Morrissey as they presently are, we might be looking at more than just one "lost album." It would lend him a certain Brian Wilson/Syd Barrett mystique, but it would be disappointing for those of us who would like to hear the music.

Jesse Tobias, I think, is underrated. He can't play Johnny Marr's parts very well, but he has his own strengths. One of my favorite songs on Low in High School is I Bury the Living, which seems to come in for a lot of criticism on here. I think it's note-perfect. There's something coldly militaristic about the guitar playing, a sense of the ugly rat-a-tat of machine gun fire. Kind of like how Jimi Hendrix simulated "the bombs bursting in air." Compliments the lyrics beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom