Another Morrissey is a racist blog entry

The Seeker of Good Songs

...comparing him to the composer Richard Wagner, even.
(Note: the blog is not mine. I frequent it for "educational purposes".)

The comments section is interesting as well.
see https://thenewvinylvillain.com/2023/04/10/this-could-spark-a-discussion/

"The composer Richard Wagner was an unashamed anti-semite, committing the most repugnant prejudice to print in both published and private writings...

Risking a clang of bathos here, it could be said that Morrissey stands in a similar relation to modern pop music. His influence and innovations are not of comparable stature, but his now undeniable racism places fans of his music in an invidious and depressing position. How can people listen to songs that once defined and enriched their lives without conferring respectability on a man whose every utterance now disgusts them?

Neither Morrissey nor Wagner produced music that is explicitly racist, even though there is much post-hoc reappraisal of songs such as Bengali in Platforms, Asian Rut and National Front Disco. It was possible at the time for Asian fans to read those songs as sympathetic laments, and as I will argue below it is still possible for us all to do so, despite Morrissey’s more recent and unequivocal pronouncements.

All the same, it feels much easier to listen to Parsifal or the Siegfried Idyll than ‘How Soon Is Now’ or ‘Hold On To Your Friends’. The distance of time is undoubtedly significant. Wagner is long dead and not earning royalties from any of my purchases..."

Back
Top Bottom