ANOTHER Guardian article, and another Q article

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Further to the post in this section about the Salford Lads Club in The Guardian Magazine, in the self same magazine there's a fantastic piece by Rae Earl. It's about her diary. The intro blurb says...

"Heaven Knows I Was Miserable Then - Could there be a worse place for a teenager desperate for a boyfriend, than a Midlands town at the tail end of the 1980's? Rae Earl's 17-year-old self thought not. Only Morrissey eased her pain, so her diary shows."

There some great pictures of Rae herself, and the pages in her diary.

Link here.

Also, the latest edition of Q is a "Guitar Heroes" issue - The Edge, Jack White, Jimmy Page, Johnny Marr, Slash, Matt Bellamy, Dave Grohl, Joe Perry. Marr's section is as always interesting. He talks about the making of Meat is Murder, and other albums he's been involved with, such as Kirsty MacColl, Talking Heads, Electronic, The The, The Healers, Modest Mouse and Oasis. It reveals something I didn't know, that Walking Down Madison (Kirsty) was written for an intended post-Smiths solo LP.

I'll scan a few pages from The Guardian and Q if anyone would like them.

Peter

Thank you for posting that! Especially the Rae Earl article. I'm going to have to order that book when it comes out- she's a girl Adrian Mole. Like her, I was a fat teenager who couldn't get a boyfriend, who listened to Morrissey instead.

I was dying at the part about the The Smiths Family concert...

51qRrzN%2BF0L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon have it cheap.

Peter

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for posting that! Especially the Rae Earl article. I'm going to have to order that book when it comes out- she's a girl Adrian Mole. Like her, I was a fat teenager who couldn't get a boyfriend, who listened to Morrissey instead.

I was dying at the part about the The Smiths Family concert...

I was laughing at that so badly too!!! I have to get that book. It sounds so funny. I am tempted to write a screen adaptation of it.

Johnny made a few interesting comments in the Q article titled "My Brilliant Career" which seemed (to me anyway) like subtle sideswipes at Morrissey. Discussing the Talking Heads' album 'Naked' which he appeared on shortly after The Smiths' breakup, he said - "It was nice to be around some grown-ups."

A bit later, while talking about the latest Modest Mouse album, he said of lead-singer Isaac Brock - "Seriously, his words knock me out. I think he's the best lyricist I've worked with."

Maybe it's just my hyper-paranoia, but those comments stood out. :confused:

Coiff.

Johnny made a few interesting comments in the Q article titled "My Brilliant Career" which seemed (to me anyway) like subtle sideswipes at Morrissey. Discussing the Talking Heads' album 'Naked' which he appeared on shortly after The Smiths' breakup, he said - "It was nice to be around some grown-ups."

A bit later, while talking about the latest Modest Mouse album, he said of lead-singer Isaac Brock - "Seriously, his words knock me out. I think he's the best lyricist I've worked with."

Coiff.

Oh lordy...no, I don't think you're paranoid; Johnny's been saying this kind of "subtle" stuff for the whole MM publicity push in Europe.

We Were Dead... is a fantastic record, and you'd think he could trust himself to sell it without all this weird Moz-baiting.

Further to the post in this section about the Salford Lads Club in The Guardian Magazine, in the self same magazine there's a fantastic piece by Rae Earl. It's about her diary. The intro blurb says...

"Heaven Knows I Was Miserable Then - Could there be a worse place for a teenager desperate for a boyfriend, than a Midlands town at the tail end of the 1980's? Rae Earl's 17-year-old self thought not. Only Morrissey eased her pain, so her diary shows."

There some great pictures of Rae herself, and the pages in her diary.

Link here.

Also, the latest edition of Q is a "Guitar Heroes" issue - The Edge, Jack White, Jimmy Page, Johnny Marr, Slash, Matt Bellamy, Dave Grohl, Joe Perry. Marr's section is as always interesting. He talks about the making of Meat is Murder, and other albums he's been involved with, such as Kirsty MacColl, Talking Heads, Electronic, The The, The Healers, Modest Mouse and Oasis. It reveals something I didn't know, that Walking Down Madison (Kirsty) was written for an intended post-Smiths solo LP.

Peter

Thank you for these :)

Trust it to be the one day I don't buy the Guardian in weeks which has a Smiths related article :D

Coiff.

No, you're not paranoid - I noticed those comments too, but didn't want to comment further for fear of being denigrated. Brave indeed.

Peter

Haha... yeah. I loved Mind Bomb. It was, for me. It came at a crucial time in my life... I still love that album, and it's still so relevant. Armageddon Days, anyone?

I really enjoyed reading that extract, very amusing. I particularly like this bit:

"I am sat here on my bed watching a documentary about penguins. Sound down. Smiths on. How Soon Is Now? My song.

I wish I could say I wrote it. But it's Morrissey. It could have been me, though, because it's everything I think. Everything. And you're left alone in a room full of Twix wrappers shoved in sheets. And he's singing what you are thinking. And that's all."

As I read this sat at my computer desk which is littered with Kitkat wrappers, feeling melancholy and listening to Southpaw... funny how twenty years later the same scene plays on with Morrissey's hand still reaching out... sigh :)

Further to the post in this section about the Salford Lads Club in The Guardian Magazine...

Peter

Well, since you asked...I'd love a scan. Thanks, Peter.

Back
Top Bottom