Another gay debate

Just a fact-check here, Johnnie, but Jake Walters photographed Morrissey for the excellent Years of Refusal cover, c. 2009, so "not been in contact with for 30+ years" is incorrect. They appear to have remained friends after having lived together, so probably Walters does value loyalty over a kiss-&-tell paycheck. Anyway, Autobiography already tastefully indicates a physical intimacy to their relationship in the 90s. Maybe it was just chaste spooning and shirtless shoulder rubs; we don't need Jake Walters to describe every detail in a sleazy My Time With Morrissey thing, but there was obviously a homoerotic dimension to it beyond just your normal male/male friendship.
But couldn't he clarify the scope of their relationship in an adult, respectful way? He doesn't have to go all TMZ, if there was a romantic relationship between the two, there would be nothing scandalous about that. It is life. Just a quick note on Years of Refusal, 2009. That was a lifetime ago in the Morrissey universe! He has burned through countless associations in those 14 years. I don't know it just seems weird that no one has ever talked about being with Morrissey. That just never happens with other celebrities, surely we can agree on that.

Celebrities talk. Don't believe me, google Elliot Page, Olivia Thirlby.

But it’s not like any other love! this one is different because.. it was with Moz. ;)

Just a fact-check here, Johnnie, but Jake Walters photographed Morrissey for the excellent Years of Refusal cover, c. 2009, so "not been in contact with for 30+ years" is incorrect. They appear to have remained friends after having lived together, so probably Walters does value loyalty over a kiss-&-tell paycheck. Anyway, Autobiography already tastefully indicates a physical intimacy to their relationship in the 90s.

Maybe it was just chaste spooning and shirtless shoulder rubs; we don't need Jake Walters to describe every detail in a sleazy My Time With Morrissey thing, but there was obviously a homoerotic dimension to it beyond just your normal male/male friendship.

I know what makes sense to most. And as choice of words go, if we were talking about a sexual relationship between a man & woman, we wouldn’t use a word like heteroerotic. The same goes for The Smiths artwork, when some of it is described as homoerotic ( yes of course) but why not just use the word erotic to describe it and likewise any sexual relationship between people.

This debate should have ended in 2013, when Moz declared himself humasexual. Bunch of numbnuts still regurgitating this nonsense.

But couldn't he clarify the scope of their relationship in an adult, respectful way? He doesn't have to go all TMZ, if there was a romantic relationship between the two, there would be nothing scandalous about that. It is life. Just a quick note on Years of Refusal, 2009. That was a lifetime ago in the Morrissey universe! He has burned through countless associations in those 14 years. I don't know it just seems weird that no one has ever talked about being with Morrissey. That just never happens with other celebrities, surely we can agree on that.

Morrissey isn't the only celebrity to want his private life to be private. Nothing obligates him to "clarify the scope" of his relationships for prurient curiosity-seekers. Why should it seem weird that no one ever talks? Maybe his only three relationships were the ones he's spoken of: with Jake Walters, Tina Dehghani, and Damon Anacreonte—the latter he's still apparently with, and the other two remain friends. There doesn't have to be a "money trail" if he has two ex-lovers with whom he's on good terms and who value his privacy. Besides, didn't you accuse Anacreonte of being "gay for pay"? Now in this thread, you seem to be saying there's nothing gay about Morrissey. This is all very strange.

I know what makes sense to most. And as choice of words go, if we were talking about a sexual relationship between a man & woman, we wouldn’t use a word like heteroerotic. The same goes for The Smiths artwork, when some of it is described as homoerotic ( yes of course) but why not just use the word erotic to describe it and likewise any sexual relationship between people.

I think because it helps to distinguish what's unique about the artwork (or the caressing). Maybe in a different time, place, and culture, it wouldn't be important, but for better or for worse, we live in a society that makes these distinctions. Personally I think they're useful.

I think because it helps to distinguish what's unique about the artwork (or the caressing). Maybe in a different time, place, and culture, it wouldn't be important, but for better or for worse, we live in a society that makes these distinctions. Personally I think they're useful.

hmmm. I think ( and maybe not always the case) it’s because the one that’s doing the describing needs to make that distinction. This is done out of fear. So by using the word homoerotic, it sets up a distance between the thing being described and their own sexual preference and maintained identity in society. If they were to just use the word erotic, there’s the fear that the reader may think the author is (god forbid!) homosexual.

hmmm. I think ( and maybe not always the case) it’s because the one that’s doing the describing needs to make that distinction. This is done out of fear. So by using the word homoerotic, it sets up a distance between the thing being described and their own sexual preference and maintained identity in society. If they were to just use the word erotic, there’s the fear that the reader may think the author is (god forbid!) homosexual.

That may be the case for some. I don't have a fear of people thinking I'm gay even though I'm not. I was called "gay" in school for being unmanly according to the norms, but it didn't bother me then and it wouldn't bother me now. I just use "homoerotic" as a shorthand.

That may be the case for some. I don't have a fear of people thinking I'm gay even though I'm not. I was called "gay" in school for being unmanly according to the norms, but it didn't bother me then and it wouldn't bother me now. I just use "homoerotic" as a shorthand.

yes, understood. I just find the need for distinction interesting, or the why of it. And in another way, I find it interesting that this thread isn’t called ‘Another straight debate’.

Can't believe anyone is denying Jake Walters was Morrissey's boyfriend.

Also, nothing weird about Moz's former partners not giving interviews about it or writing tell all books? I don't actually think that kind of thing is that common at all. A lot of people do have a sense of loyalty and decency.

Can't believe anyone is denying Jake Walters was Morrissey's boyfriend.

Also, nothing weird about Moz's former partners not giving interviews about it or writing tell all books? I don't actually think that kind of thing is that common at all. A lot of people do have a sense of loyalty and decency.
Then he should just say something...that is if he's not ashamed. He has the social skills of a 7th grader!

He did say something ("humasexual"), though probably only cause he felt pressured to, due to the reaction of the press to his autobiography.
IMO he probably feels straight people don't "come out", so why should non-straight people have to?

Back
Top Bottom