Another gay debate

It makes him bisexual not "greedy", do you live in 1972?
Bit of casual anti-LGBT, specifically biphobia, at Morrissey's expense there from gordy.

Some white male (mostly) straight Morrissey fans really do struggle to accept that there's the possibility of a homoerotic element to their love of Morrissey, that goes far beyond his music. I for one love it and embrace it, as a hetero man.

iv never seen a straight person on here write i think M is heterosexual.
They haven't because it would be an absurd thing to say.

Mozzer is "humasexual" according to his own words i.e. he's attracted to humans.

It's hardly a secret that The Smiths and Morrissey's lyrics and imagery is laden with queer iconography and symbolism. No idea how you can possibly deny this. Even more troubling is why you'd like to deny this, and labelling Morrissey as "greedy" because of his sexuality.

They haven't because it would be an absurd thing to say.

Mozzer is "humasexual" according to his own words i.e. he's attracted to humans.

It's hardly a secret that The Smiths and Morrissey's lyrics and imagery is laden with queer iconography and symbolism. No idea how you can possibly deny this. Even more troubling is why you'd like to deny this, and labelling Morrissey as "greedy" because of his sexuality.
read above.

This bit is incredibly homophobic:

“The two of them dancing together as men, but both being very feminine and, in Johnny’s case, quite androgynous, was incredibly powerful,” he says. “It felt to an adolescent audience that it was giving them agency to act differently – two men dancing together not in an overtly homoerotic or political way, but just having fun together in their own unique way.”
That is not homophobic in any way and by shoehorning in your agenda again, you have missed the point completely. Johnny once said that the Smiths "liberated straight boys" from poisonous ideas of masculinity and that is exactly what this para was getting at - that they realised that men could form close friendships, dance together etc just for fun without it being done for sexual or political reasons. A freedom that women already had.

"It was a joke" says Gordy, a joke he stole from Larry David, and totally not a reflection of his real thoughts on sexuality after he denied that there's anything queer about The Smiths.
i never stole it,when you sing a smiths lyric are you stealing it,no you are quoting it.
the smiths imagery was when M was in his twenties,when was the last time he employed the same imagery,a long time ago.

i never stole it,when you sing a smiths lyric are you stealing it,no you are quoting it.
the smiths imagery was when M was in his twenties,when was the last time he employed the same imagery,a long time ago.
Morrissey literally wrote about his same sex relationships in Autobiography, and referred to himself as humasexual. Also, some of Morrissey's recent lyrics (especially on Low in High School) were overtly sexual and it's not hard to imagine that he could be referring to same sex relationships considering what we know.

You, with your fingers in your ears: "Morrissey is completely and utterly HETEROSEXUAL and EXTREMELY MASCULINE. There's nothing queer, sexual or homoerotic about his work!!!! I'M NOT GAY!!!! I'M NOT GAY!!!!"

Can we please stop using the word Queer.

As a “gay man” this word has connotations especially coming from straight people. It’s a slur and an insult. The Q in LGBTQ+ goes to show that the term is not interchangeable.
I’m old enough to remember and to have suffered from this as a hurtful insult for many years.

It’s not big and it’s not clever, and certain people on here seem to take joy in using it to be antagonistic to anyone who has a different opinion than them.

Last edited:
Morrissey literally wrote about his same sex relationships in Autobiography, and referred to himself as humasexual. Also, some of Morrissey's recent lyrics (especially on Low in High School) were overtly sexual and it's not hard to imagine that he could be referring to same sex relationships considering what we know.

You, with your fingers in your ears: "Morrissey is completely and utterly HETEROSEXUAL and EXTREMELY MASCULINE. There's nothing queer, sexual or homoerotic about his work!!!! I'M NOT GAY!!!! I'M NOT GAY!!!!"
you still going on about this,as broken records go you are thee gold medallist

This is such a stale argument. Who is the most 'gay'? Where are we - the school playground? Although I suppose this is an online creche. :LOL:
Lots of bands and lots of singers have written songs that speak to all aspects of the human experience - Lou Reed, The Buzzcocks, The Smiths, Morrissey, The Pogues, Suede, Placebo...the list is endless. The Smiths are for everyone. Morrissey is for everyone. Labels are for tins of beans. Moz as an artist has never wanted to be limited to one aspect of the human experience or human sexuality. We are not defined by what we do in the bedroom.

This is such a stale argument. Who is the most 'gay'? Where are we - the school playground? Although I suppose this is an online creche. :LOL:
Lots of bands and lots of singers have written songs that speak to all aspects of the human experience - Lou Reed, The Buzzcocks, The Smiths, Morrissey, The Pogues, Suede, Placebo...the list is endless. The Smiths are for everyone. Morrissey is for everyone. Labels are for tins of beans. Moz as an artist has never wanted to be limited to one aspect of the human experience or human sexuality. We are not defined by what we do in the bedroom.
Well said!

You don’t need a prefix to define you.

I hate the term “gay man”, I’m a man it’s a simple as that, my sexuality is nothing to do with anyone other than the person I’m intimate with.

It doesn’t influence my career, my health, my taste in music or fashion or anything at all.

It’s entirely irrelevant

Queer was a word the gay community used as a code before it was a slur.

This book is great & sneaks in a few hidden Morrissey references.

I really do think the reason the Guardian has ended up shaming itself by persecuting Morrissey is his sexuality - which is also why he'll be vindicated.

4139yfnJs7L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Queer was a word the gay community used as a code before it was a slur.

This book is great & sneaks in a few hidden Morrissey references.

I really do think the reason the Guardian has ended up shaming itself by persecuting Morrissey is his sexuality - which is also why he'll be vindicated.

View attachment 91810
I agree it was Used by “some” in the “community”, however is is mostly used as a slur.

I’m far from alone in my feelings towards the word, especially from the straight “community”

@sea salt What is your objection to my post, my personal opinions?

Do you think I should be put in a box? Or are you insinuating that I’m wrong to state it’s no one else’s business or concern whom I chose to sleep with?

Interested to know

Can we please stop using the word Queer.

As a “gay man” this word has connotations especially coming from straight people. It’s a slur and an insult. The Q in LGBTQ+ goes to show that the term is not interchangeable.
I’m old enough to remember and to have suffered from this as a hurtful insult for many years.

It’s not big and it’s not clever, and certain people on here seem to take joy in using it to be antagonistic to anyone who has a different opinion than them.

Many people identify as queer and use the term though, so are you saying that all of those people are wrong and you are right?

Many people identify as queer and use the term though, so are you saying that all of those people are wrong and you are right?
No I’m saying you’re wrong.

People can describe themselves however they see fit, the problem arises when YOU use that term to describe them.

People are individuals and free to use whatever terms they want.

People who put you in a box, or assume you’re in a “community” are just sticking their noses into places they shouldn’t. Get your own shit in order before you cast assumptions about others.

I’m no more proud of my sexuality than I am my eye colour, that’s how relevant it is. Nor am I ashamed, it’s just part of who I am.

Just don’t go round calling men queer, because you’ll end up on your dish!

This conversation is not why I come on here, so I’ll end it here.

There’d be outrage if you used the N word to describe black people, even if you use the same lame excuse that black people use that term to describe themselves.

This is NO different at all.

Back
Top Bottom