Another dig (of sorts) at Robert Smith (The Cure) from Depeche Mode

The Seeker of Good Songs

There was a comment form Morrissey once in answer to a question about why his live sets are so short compared to others.
He replied something like, that he gets lock jaw and can't be on stage all night like some people who hang their heads and play guitar for three hours...

this from a recent interview with Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode...

"What songs would you say get the biggest responses from the crowd these days?
Well, I mean, "Enjoy the Silence." And "Never Let Me Down Again," which has this amazing crowd waving effect that Dave gets going that's pretty exciting. Some of the new songs -- "Wrong" is going down really well. The hardest thing about our set list is actually compiling it. It's so difficult with so many songs. We can't do a Robert Smith and play for three-and-a-half hours. I don't think Dave can run around and dance for that long. The problem with the Cure is they did it a couple of times and then when they went back to a normal set people complained."

from: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/07/six_questions_for_depeche_mode.html

How is that a dig at Robert? They're good friends.

What he's saying is that Robert's unable to go back to a normal hour and a half long set because we're so used to him playing three hour long sets. I don't see any insult in there. Cure concerts are AMAZING. Robert plays for hours... well, three, actually. The only people who will be annoyed at a long show are people who don't like The Cure very much.

How is that a dig at Robert? They're good friends.

What he's saying is that Robert's unable to go back to a normal hour and a half long set because we're so used to him playing three hour long sets. I don't see any insult in there. Cure concerts are AMAZING. Robert plays for hours... well, three, actually. The only people who will be annoyed at a long show are people who don't like The Cure very much.

I think the dig part is, and Morrissey implied also, that Smith just stands there and isn't very active.

edit: Who are the good friends?

DM and The Cure are good friends. They have been since the 80s. Also, DM associate Daryl Bamonte is the brother of former Cure member Perry Bamonte.

Yeah. Robert mentions DM as being really good friends in multiple interviews. I doubt it was a dig. People who like The Cure tend to really enjoy Robert's stage presence. I know I do. If he were to dance around like Dave Gahan or even if he were to behave like Morrissey it would just be odd.

You can turn anything negative if you don't like someone. A friend of mine who doesn't like Morrissey says that he reminds her of Tom Jones when he's on stage. D:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Andy's intentionally taking a shot at The Cure, just offering them up as a countermeasure.

On this subject: When I saw The Cure, I genuinely felt that I got my money's worth, which is rare for me even if I'm going see a band I love and they put on a good show. True, Smith just kind of stood there and played guitar and sang, but the songs (and Simon Gallup's constant dancing) made up for it.

There was a comment form Morrissey once in answer to a question about why his live sets are so short compared to others.
He replied something like, that he gets lock jaw and can't be on stage all night like some people who hang their heads and play guitar for three hours...

this from a recent interview with Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode...

"What songs would you say get the biggest responses from the crowd these days?
Well, I mean, "Enjoy the Silence." And "Never Let Me Down Again," which has this amazing crowd waving effect that Dave gets going that's pretty exciting. Some of the new songs -- "Wrong" is going down really well. The hardest thing about our set list is actually compiling it. It's so difficult with so many songs. We can't do a Robert Smith and play for three-and-a-half hours. I don't think Dave can run around and dance for that long. The problem with the Cure is they did it a couple of times and then when they went back to a normal set people complained."

from: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/07/six_questions_for_depeche_mode.html

it's not a dig at all. you are, officially, a very naughty gossip!

Back
Top Bottom