Anonymous Users

IP hash has been added to anonymous posts in the left side info section, in the forums only (not in main page article comments). Now you can at least tell which posts came from the same IP address. This is only visible to registered users by the way. Not too much clutter after all :)

Thanks for the suggestion CG.

Cool. One question though, the Gamersoul site had the hash as a link so you could see the posters history. Is that doable?

One thing to also keep in mind, most people connect to the web via proxy for NAT IPs. If two people are posting anonymously through the same proxy they will probably appear to be a single user. Not a huge deal probably.

Ok I'll type this again shall I? (I logged in to post and it didn't go through! Oh the irony)

Dear FBI

I regret to inform you that besides the number you might see on this post, I am also apparently known as the equally sexy a493e9dc2e. This I realized after checking only a couple of my own posts. It seems funny as I posted from the same laptop and exact same location (bottom right corner of the bedroom if you must know -this proving at least that I'm not Spiderman.)
So, you know, technology is not all it's cracked up to be.

Anyway...Good luck with fixing that and see ya around (at the funeral maybe?)
Bye

"Hanover one bites the dust."

Thanks for your post. I understand that people will use the site different for different reasons, personal or otherwise. Also people do move on, some because of recent actions that you mention. Traffic has been about the same for years, there are some new visitors but it isn't growing at a huge pace. I don't have numbers but in general the number of posts may be a bit down, but the site is still very active when there is news or a tour.

I've sort of followed this debate and would like to contribute -other than in a silly way. Why I bother I dunno. :D

I noticed a sharp decline in traffic on this site too. And when? Right around the time when a certain person started wearing a certain T. shirt. Suddenly, everyone vaguely interesting, and a few great people, just upped and left. They just left. And I don't think they ever post anymore, even anonymously?
They didn't just give up on this site. Some tried AYNIM for a while, they dropped the surface of the virtual earth.
They didn't just give up on websites, they gave up on Morrissey himself.
That's true even on some foreign websites, on which the administrator, who is far from being banned from Morrissey gigs, can never be bothered enough to post any kind of info or gig account himself to keep his site alive.
So, just like climate change, I'd say it's an accelerating phenomenon.

As far as "the sense of community" is concerned, well, I've been on Solo since the late nineties, with different usernames. I never really felt this was a community. This site has always had "characters" that were louder and more visible than others. They came and went. This never gave birth to a "community", just little clusters of like-minded people at times, taking over threads. I did that myself when a few nutty people were around, and we often turned the most serious topics into the Silly Olympics. That spirit is still alive within a few very naughty posters here :D

I remember a particular thread someone started that was called "say something nice about someone on Solo." Well I checked every page of it and nobody ever said anything nice about me. :p So I thought nobody would mind if I became anonymous :D

Besides, I had another reason. Yes, I won't hide it, I wanted to confuse some people. Be less immediately identifiable. Why I did is really none of your business (lol) but if you've ever paid enough attention to me when I was alive and not anonymous, you may have an idea why.

Now, if there's some way of identifying me again, I will be deprived of that choice and probably won't post much anymore.

I think that will suit plenty of people fine, including people who think Solo (and himself) are f***ed.

I just hope there'll always be funny or cute pics of pets to look at, and that the people who make me laugh continue posting even after Morrissey dies.

Also, I think I've contributed plenty to this site in my more energetic days, and, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, they might want to consider that we anonymouses are people, too.

Lastly, I want to thank David again. Not for keeping this site alive no matter what, but for having the guts to put up with all the shit he's been through. Once again I compare him with other site administrators who are nothing but touchy immature selfish tards who rarely engage positively with their users. On the other end of the spectrum we have mild-mannered administrators with a traffic of about 30 people on their site... (plus I get a virus alert everytime I try to check it, which makes me lol.)

So I for one think David is a very special and patient guy.

the end.

If you are worried about being identified, the IP hash doesn't really do that, except it show that some anonymous posts are likely from the same person.

Yeah. And I believe this my final cue to do so. (as I've had a few) ;)

All the best.

I've sort of followed this debate and would like to contribute -other than in a silly way. Why I bother I dunno. :D

I noticed a sharp decline in traffic on this site too. And when? Right around the time when a certain person started wearing a certain T. shirt. Suddenly, everyone vaguely interesting, and a few great people, just upped and left. They just left. And I don't think they ever post anymore, even anonymously?
They didn't just give up on this site. Some tried AYNIM for a while, they dropped the surface of the virtual earth.
They didn't just give up on websites, they gave up on Morrissey himself.
That's true even on some foreign websites, on which the administrator, who is far from being banned from Morrissey gigs, can never be bothered enough to post any kind of info or gig account himself to keep his site alive.
So, just like climate change, I'd say it's an accelerating phenomenon.

As far as "the sense of community" is concerned, well, I've been on Solo since the late nineties, with different usernames. I never really felt this was a community. This site has always had "characters" that were louder and more visible than others. They came and went. This never gave birth to a "community", just little clusters of like-minded people at times, taking over threads. I did that myself when a few nutty people were around, and we often turned the most serious topics into the Silly Olympics. That spirit is still alive within a few very naughty posters here :D

I remember a particular thread someone started that was called "say something nice about someone on Solo." Well I checked every page of it and nobody ever said anything nice about me. :p So I thought nobody would mind if I became anonymous :D

Besides, I had another reason. Yes, I won't hide it, I wanted to confuse some people. Be less immediately identifiable. Why I did is really none of your business (lol) but if you've ever paid enough attention to me when I was alive and not anonymous, you may have an idea why.

Now, if there's some way of identifying me again, I will be deprived of that choice and probably won't post much anymore.

I think that will suit plenty of people fine, including people who think Solo (and himself) are f***ed.

I just hope there'll always be funny or cute pics of pets to look at, and that the people who make me laugh continue posting even after Morrissey dies.

Also, I think I've contributed plenty to this site in my more energetic days, and, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, they might want to consider that we anonymouses are people, too.

Lastly, I want to thank David again. Not for keeping this site alive no matter what, but for having the guts to put up with all the shit he's been through. Once again I compare him with other site administrators who are nothing but touchy immature selfish tards who rarely engage positively with their users. On the other end of the spectrum we have mild-mannered administrators with a traffic of about 30 people on their site... (plus I get a virus alert everytime I try to check it, which makes me lol.)

So I for one think David is a very special and patient guy.

the end.

Dear Anonymous who sometimes comes up as IP hash: 079cfefba6, :D

Nice post.
I wish I knew who you were under your previous user names.

Do you think people stopped coming here when so many people were banned several years ago?
NRitH, JJ, etc? Those were some good and lively times. You're right about "community" - maybe "characters" is a better way to describe it....but I hold close all (well, most) of the people I met here--- even though I don't know where many of them are today.

Dear Anonymous who sometimes comes up as IP hash: 079cfefba6, :D

Nice post.
I wish I knew who you were under your previous user names.

Do you think people stopped coming here when so many people were banned several years ago?
NRitH, JJ, etc? Those were some good and lively times. You're right about "community" - maybe "characters" is a better way to describe it....but I hold close all (well, most) of the people I met here--- even though I don't know where many of them are today.

Nrith and JJ are still around, I chat on FB. Nice people. I have been a little quieter on this site reccently, other stuff has my attention, but I'm still here, and still glad and indeed proud to be part of the team after all these years.

P.

Nrith and JJ are still around, I chat on FB. Nice people. I have been a little quieter on this site reccently, other stuff has my attention, but I'm still here, and still glad and indeed proud to be part of the team after all these years.

P.

Yeah- I know they are still around.
They were a lot of fun on here.
And I'm glad you're still here... I think we all have our quiet times, depending upon what else has our attention.

Awesome...see they still get to be anonymous but we can tell them apart. :cool:

Awesome...see they still get to be anonymous but we can tell them apart. :cool:

Yes, this was a good call CG, well done differentiating between anons is all that we need, but a more important point who is 079cfefba6?

Yes, this was a good call CG, well done differentiating between anons is all that we need, but a more important point who is 079cfefba6?

Who cares. It's a potentially enlightening period though because I bet a lot of anon's don't check the forum and their tag will show on the mirror page of the main page. We can see maybe who's talking to themselves before they figure out this system is in place.

Hey David,

Thanks for caving. "In defense of anon cowards" - you just eroded that notion big time. This was a thread about whether or not Anonymous posting should be allowed or not allowed. You made a decision - it should allowed.

I did not feel the need to follow the thread. Then you semi-reversed yourself with this IP bullshit. The users who want this (CG, CP, TLM {who has really contributed nothing much other than to stay in off topic}) are not wanting to use this for the good faith reason of keeping a "community" together, etc., etc. They have been trolled a bit and now they want to identify users by part of their I.P. Address which is really no different than giving said users a name and taking away Anonymous posting. You made rash decision, just like when you decided to disable Anons from voting in polls.

Is this matter still open for debate? If I present a boatload of evidence as to how this erodes, if not destroys, what you have stood for, anonymous speech, free speech, will you consider reversing yourself? Is this set in stone? If someone posts here with "inside" information and they are not trolling but their I.P. Address is partly exposed and is known (let's say Boz Boorer posts here), don't you think this could in effect deny us some really good information and chill speech? Don't you think this could chill speech generally?

It feels like the walls of Solo are closing in and have been for a while. Main page polls - gone. Anons being able to vote - gone. Chat - gone. Anons being able to post totally anonymously gone. Tseng - banned from all Moz concerts - real. Site traffic is way down - yes. The Artist hates you, may have even put out a hit on you.

Why don't you just shut this Mofo down and archive everything? You were good in your time, David, really good, and we thank you with all our hearts.

Again, is this matter still up for debate? If evidence is presented or this experiment does not work out, will you consider reversing yourself? Or will you be too prideful to do it?

Please allow this post through and please respond. Thank You.

Do you know what a hashed IP is? Didn't think so, troll. Is your name Jamie?

Hey David,

Thanks for caving. "In defense of anon cowards" - you just eroded that notion big time. This was a thread about whether or not Anonymous posting should be allowed or not allowed. You made a decision - it should allowed.

I did not feel the need to follow the thread. Then you semi-reversed yourself with this IP bullshit. The users who want this (CG, CP, TLM {who has really contributed nothing much other than to stay in off topic}) are not wanting to use this for the good faith reason of keeping a "community" together, etc., etc. They have been trolled a bit and now they want to identify users by part of their I.P. Address which is really no different than giving said users a name and taking away Anonymous posting. You made rash decision, just like when you decided to disable Anons from voting in polls.

Is this matter still open for debate? If I present a boatload of evidence as to how this erodes, if not destroys, what you have stood for, anonymous speech, free speech, will you consider reversing yourself? Is this set in stone? If someone posts here with "inside" information and they are not trolling but their I.P. Address is partly exposed and is known (let's say Boz Boorer posts here), don't you think this could in effect deny us some really good information and chill speech? Don't you think this could chill speech generally?

It feels like the walls of Solo are closing in and have been for a while. Main page polls - gone. Anons being able to vote - gone. Chat - gone. Anons being able to post totally anonymously gone. Tseng - banned from all Moz concerts - real. Site traffic is way down - yes. The Artist hates you, may have even put out a hit on you.

Why don't you just shut this Mofo down and archive everything? You were good in your time, David, really good, and we thank you with all our hearts.

Again, is this matter still up for debate? If evidence is presented or this experiment does not work out, will you consider reversing yourself? Or will you be too prideful to do it?

P.

Yeah Peter, and where is Grim, Girl Afraid, Girl Drowning, Rallen, Hugh, and the entire Star & Garter crowd? You stayed, you are not the norm, but the exception.

Hey David,

Not very clever, are you?

Wanker.

P.

Do you know what a hashed IP is? Didn't think so, troll. Is your name Jamie?

Where is it David? I don't see it next to "David Singh"? I respected your initial decision to keep Anons. I have respected every decision you have ever made other than the Pedophile thread. Where is it, Sir? Where is this tag, D.T.?

No hash tag for you dumdum!

Where is it David? I don't see it next to "David Singh"? I respected your initial decision to keep Anons. I have respected every decision you have ever made other than the Pedophile thread. Where is it, Sir? Where is this tag, D.T.?

Back
Top Bottom