"Andy Rourke Tells All" - The Daily Beast interview from 2011; Morrissey-solo mentioned

Michael sends the link:

Bigmouth Strikes Again: Smiths Bassist Andy Rourke Tells All - The Daily Beast
by Michael Moynihan Oct 13, 2013 12:17 PM EDT

Excerpt:

All of this was unsurprising: the terrifically wealthy singer is both notoriously prickly and embarrassingly tight-fisted. The Penguin affair reminded me of a lovely afternoon I spent in the East Village with his former band mate Andy Rourke, the talent behind (partially) bass-driven Smiths classics “This Charming Man,” “Pretty Girls Make Graves,” “Barbarism Begins at Home,” and “You’ve Got Everything Now.” Morrissey and Rourke haven’t spoken in decades; he has since dismissively referred to The Smiths’ rhythm section as mere session musicians. When we chatted in 2011, Rourke dryly noted that his songwriting credits with Morrissey resulted in no royalties.

During a long, meandering conversation lubricated by much beer and wine, Rourke discussed Morrissey’s famous avariciousness (“If anyone asks for a pay raise, they get fired”), his move to New York, and the just-emerging Anthony Weiner scandal (“He looks like a douchebag”). Unlike Morrissey and former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Rourke—who since the Smiths breakup has played with Sinead O'Connor, Killing Joke, and members of the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays—lives an ascetic life, though not by choice. When I met him, he had just moved into Manhattan from the part-hipster, part-terrifying Brooklyn neighborhood of Bushwick.

I’m not entirely sure why, but when Rourke later disappeared during negotiations about being photographed for a piece I was writing on him, the tape of our 2011 conversation disappeared. In honor of next week's publication of Morrissey: Autobiography I offer an edited and condensed version of our somewhat bibulous discussion.

...The Morrissey-solo mention:

What do you think when the partisan fan websites like Morrissey-Solo talk about you?

They never say anything nice. I had a stalker for a few years, and she was actually banned from the Morrissey-Solo website. She used to say crazy stuff, and then people would go crazy on her, and then I used to get this backlash from it. Shit, what the hell did I do?

What do you think when the partisan fan websites like Morrissey-Solo talk about you?

They never say anything nice. I had a stalker for a few years, and she was actually banned from the Morrissey-Solo website. She used to say crazy stuff, and then people would go crazy on her, and then I used to get this backlash from it. Shit, what the hell did I do?

Ah, the good old days...

Never anything nice? Not true. I remember that obsessed poster. I think she has Autism spectrum disorder (Asperger's).

Never anything nice? Not true. I remember that obsessed poster. I think she has Autism spectrum disorder (Asperger's).

My recollection is that we all, or most of us, tried to get her to stop her bizarre behaviour and get help. I recall some people got in touch with her family and begged them to get help for her.

P.

My recollection is that we all, or most of us, tried to get her to stop her bizarre behaviour and get help. I recall some people got in touch with her family and begged them to get help for her.

P.

Yeah. I wonder what became of her? Did she get help? Find a new obsesssion? I always felt bad for her. She wasn't mean or violent, to my knowledge.

Yeah. I wonder what became of her? Did she get help? Find a new obsesssion? I always felt bad for her. She wasn't mean or violent, to my knowledge.

Maybe not, but she posted some crazy stuff. No one deserves to be dogged like Andy was. She lacked the instinct that most of us have that said "don't post that", and she posted a lot of really personal and family stuff about herself too. Anyway, i hope she's well, and I hope Andy's well.

P.

Wow pretty depressing stuff. I hadn't thought about the myriad of people who have taken the lyrics to heart and taken their own life. It appears having your own work shouted back at you isn't necessarily seen as a tribute. :straightface:

Just finished reading the entire interview. Very interesting. He elaborates more on the stalking situation.

"She lacked the instinct that most of us have that said "don't post that""

- that's a bit rich coming from a So_Low regular! I'm sure davidT endorsed her postings as "freedom of speech" though. :D :D :D

"She lacked the instinct that most of us have that said "don't post that""

- that's a bit rich coming from a So_Low regular! I'm sure davidT endorsed her postings as "freedom of speech" though. :D :D :D

Do you sit there all day scouting for every opportunity to have a dig? You're a stuck record mate. But give yourself a pat on the back for eliciting a response. Of sorts. Oh, and you don't have the faintest idea about what happened at the time regarding this issue, but don't let your lack of knowledge hold you back.

P.

I would like to know more about the sessions between Andy and Morrissey. It must have been such a weird confusing time with just the both of them in the studio with session musicians.

Michael sends the link:

Bigmouth Strikes Again: Smiths Bassist Andy Rourke Tells All - The Daily Beast
by Michael Moynihan Oct 13, 2013 12:17 PM EDT

Excerpt:

All of this was unsurprising: the terrifically wealthy singer is both notoriously prickly and embarrassingly tight-fisted. The Penguin affair reminded me of a lovely afternoon I spent in the East Village with his former band mate Andy Rourke, the talent behind (partially) bass-driven Smiths classics “This Charming Man,” “Pretty Girls Make Graves,” “Barbarism Begins at Home,” and “You’ve Got Everything Now.” Morrissey and Rourke haven’t spoken in decades; he has since dismissively referred to The Smiths’ rhythm section as mere session musicians. When we chatted in 2011, Rourke dryly noted that his songwriting credits with Morrissey resulted in no royalties.

During a long, meandering conversation lubricated by much beer and wine, Rourke discussed Morrissey’s famous avariciousness (“If anyone asks for a pay raise, they get fired”), his move to New York, and the just-emerging Anthony Weiner scandal (“He looks like a douchebag”). Unlike Morrissey and former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Rourke—who since the Smiths breakup has played with Sinead O'Connor, Killing Joke, and members of the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays—lives an ascetic life, though not by choice. When I met him, he had just moved into Manhattan from the part-hipster, part-terrifying Brooklyn neighborhood of Bushwick.

I’m not entirely sure why, but when Rourke later disappeared during negotiations about being photographed for a piece I was writing on him, the tape of our 2011 conversation disappeared. In honor of next week's publication of Morrissey: Autobiography I offer an edited and condensed version of our somewhat bibulous discussion.

...The Morrissey-solo mention:

I remember it differently. People on this board were actually very supportive of Andy Rouke because of his stalker, and pleaded with her to leave him and his then girlfriend alone. When she moved around the corner from him it was actually Morrissey solo'ers, fearing for his safety, who turned her in.

Mike Joyce on the other hand........................ But he came on here and stirred it up a bit.

There are mentally ill people in the world who commit suicide. You can't blame a band for breaking up or deep lyrics for triggering it. Just be glad our hero has a lot of compassion for those suffering.

Wow pretty depressing stuff. I hadn't thought about the myriad of people who have taken the lyrics to heart and taken their own life. It appears having your own work shouted back at you isn't necessarily seen as a tribute. :straightface:

andy Ison or Andrea Ison, those were the days...she was totally in love with Andy , one side I really feel for her,
she was really alone and Andy Rourke meant the world for her, on the other side, stalking is not funny, even elibate get's
stalked on the i'net it's fustrating though I don't know if miss Ison privately stalked Andy Rourke. I hope she got help from proffesionel social workers, or social -psych.

Joyce posted here as ' the drumms' but some years ago

'and they say he's mentall'... C E L I B A T E

There are mentally ill people in the world who commit suicide. You can't blame a band for breaking up or deep lyrics for triggering it. Just be glad our hero has a lot of compassion for those suffering.

I actually have found what Morrissey has said about suicide in the past to be dangerous. I was worried that some people would take it as an endorsement. Instead of saying you must seek help he said he thought it was brave... I'm not saying I disagree with his sentiment but he is a person of influence in people's lives and if their hero said said seek help, talk about it it would do far more good than harm.

I actually have found what Morrissey has said about suicide in the past to be dangerous. I was worried that some people would take it as an endorsement. Instead of saying you must seek help he said he thought it was brave... I'm not saying I disagree with his sentiment but he is a person of influence in people's lives and if their hero said said seek help, talk about it it would do far more good than harm.
Yes, that would be the sensible thing to say.

wow AndyIson (wasn't that her name?) was actually legit?? I just figured it was someone trolling on here all those years ago

I don't think Andy Ison was banned from the Morrissey-Solo website, they probably just had asperger's or something. But wasn't Mike Joyce banned at one time?

A lot of folks have said some very nice things about Andy Rourke on Morrissey-solo over the years and his bass playing skills, so what Andy Rourke says isn't true. Andy Rourke comes across as a bit of a Drama Queen and is using Moz-solo and swearing to sound cool. I remember the days of Andy Rourke, his ex-girlfriend Heather Street, his ex-manager Nova Rehman and the singer Rowetta seems a long time ago now. I have some respect for Rourke's bass playing on the "Meat Is Murder" album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom