Andy Rourke talks about The Smiths in Costa Rica (video) - ticotimes.net

In Costa Rica, Andy Rourke declares 'never say never' about reuniting The Smiths - ticotimes.net

Costa Rica's Hoxton recently hosted the legendary former bass player of The Smiths in his first appearance in Central America. Before the DJ set, The Tico Times sat down with Rourke to talk about what still is one of the greatest bands to have hit the stage.

Excerpt:

"Just a second," Hoxton co-owner Tom Dalby said on the other end of the phone. Sounds muffled, then some scratching and hissing, and a deep voice snarled over the line, "You're a wanker. Andy just called you a wanker," said Andy Rourke before promptly hanging up.

That was my first introduction to the legendary former bass player of The Smiths, a 1980s Manchester band that produced more mind-blowing music in its short five-year span than most bands produce in a lifetime. It was a fitting – and highly complimentary – first impression for someone I'd admired since before I could grow facial hair.

A couple hours later came my next interaction with Rourke, this time in person. Dressed in a weathered Union Jack (the same thing I had spray-painted on my bedroom wall when I was 14) covered by a light sport coat, Rourke burst into an upstairs room at Hoxton and declared, "You've eaten the grapes!"

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anonymous

About James Franco he made that REM video about Los Angeles and stardom with Lindsay Lohan in it and Jared Leto and 30 Seconds to Mars jsut released a video about Hollywood and stardom with Lindsay Lohan in it. So now I guess James Franco is copying Jared Leto who copied James Franco?

It's only a matter of time until Andy Rourke works with Riff Raff.
Hasn't Andy Rourke already worked with Riff Raff?

A

Anonymous

Johnny Marr wrote the basslines and told Andy Rourke what to do. Anyway what good bass playing has Andy Rourke done since he left The Smiths and left working for Morrissey? I can't name one track.

I don't like Andy Rourke on a personal level because I don't think he treats women well, he seems like a bit of a bad man from what I've heard.

Nobody cares about your personal opinion on Andy. Also, you're an idiot.

A

Anonymous

I think it's great that most people on this are supporting morrissey but I think people are being to harsh. Rourke and mike Joyce never got as much credit as they deserved for being in the band, as morrissey referred to them as "mere session musicians as readily replaceable as the parts of a lawnmower" which is quite harsh to be honest. Andy was a really good bass player and yes Johnny wrote the basslines but it was the passion rourke put into it. Wither you like him or not doesn't really matter. The fact was he was a great bass player though I'm not too sure about him going to dj'ing since the smiths had a song called panic.. Lol!

Top Bottom