Andy Rourke Interview

G

goinghome

TodayOnline's Christopher Toh reports a chat with Andy Rourke who's djing in Home Club, NYC.

Excerpt:
- "When people interview me, they try to fish for me to say something nasty about The Smiths. But I had a good time all the time."

Yes, even the Spinal Tap moments. "I remember the first time we played a gig in New York, it was New Year's Eve, and Morrissey fell off the stage. He had to be picked up, and I think he actually cried.(Laughs) His glasses were a little bit bent out of shape, but he was okay." -

Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Entertainment/Music/EDC101018-0000039/The-accidental-DJ

TodayOnline's Christopher Toh reports a chat with Andy Rourke who's djing in Home Club, NYC.

Excerpt:
- "When people interview me, they try to fish for me to say something nasty about The Smiths. But I had a good time all the time."

Yes, even the Spinal Tap moments. "I remember the first time we played a gig in New York, it was New Year's Eve, and Morrissey fell off the stage. He had to be picked up, and I think he actually cried.(Laughs) His glasses were a little bit bent out of shape, but he was okay." -

Link: http://www.todayonline.com/Entertainment/Music/EDC101018-0000039/The-accidental-DJ

"people... try to fish for me to say something nasty about The Smiths."

"Morrissey fell off the stage.....he actually cried.(Laughs)"

No need to fish with Rourke it appears he offers up nasty with glee the horrid fool.

"people... try to fish for me to say something nasty about The Smiths."

"Morrissey fell off the stage.....he actually cried.(Laughs)"

No need to fish with Rourke it appears he offers up nasty with glee the horrid fool.

I don't find Andy appears to be nasty talking about Morrissey who once fell off the stage.

Your perception both Andy and Mike seems not neutral or fair.

I don't find Andy appears to be nasty talking about Morrissey who once fell off the stage.

Your perception both Andy and Mike seems not neutral or fair.

So Andy Berk relates a story where Morrissey fell off a stage and hurt himself so much that he cried, and Andy now thinks this is hilarious.
Do you wanna explain how this is not being nasty?

If i'd been ripped off like Rourke was i'd definitely be nasty about Morrissey (and Marr).

He seems quite chilled out though, not nasty at all.

Think his friendship for Marr is more important to him than the money he missed out on, good for him.

You can laugh from sympathetic embarrassment as easily as you can laugh from malice. (Laughs) doesn't communicate which it was. Also, I imagine the interview was MUCH longer than the 4 or 5 sentences that got published. I'm sure the New York story was just one of many. The journalist picked out the most interesting and juicy bits, and taken out of context, they can seem harsh.
Hmmmm, when have we seen that type of journalistic behavior before?
Andy's a very nice guy. I got the feeling that he's been saddened and occasionally hurt by some of Morrissey's actions over the years, but I didn't feel like he was vindictive in any way.

I think it was like this.

ta6c1v.jpg

"and I think he actually cried".

...and I think Rourke is embellishing the incident for the sake of 'drama' and stretching the truth. Moz commented on the Danceteria incident saying he was "dying of embarrassment" or some such, but no mention of tears or having to be picked up. That just fits Rourke's condescending vision of Morrissey - a fey sissy :rolleyes:

It's simply sad to see some people interpret Andy's comment on an incident in 1983 is vindictive / bitchy.

The journalist put it for the sake of spice up the interview.

In other interviews Andy said that he didn't understand Morrissey at that time which doesn't imply a feud / conflict between them.

You can laugh from sympathetic embarrassment as easily as you can laugh from malice. (Laughs) doesn't communicate which it was. Also, I imagine the interview was MUCH longer than the 4 or 5 sentences that got published. I'm sure the New York story was just one of many. The journalist picked out the most interesting and juicy bits, and taken out of context, they can seem harsh.
Hmmmm, when have we seen that type of journalistic behavior before?
Andy's a very nice guy. I got the feeling that he's been saddened and occasionally hurt by some of Morrissey's actions over the years, but I didn't feel like he was vindictive in any way.

if the laugh was of "sympathetic embarrassment" then why recount the story, in public, in the first place?

yes it could be a misquote or taken out of contexts - lets hope so

For what it's worth, give the guy a break. How many of us have not sniggered or laughed at the misfortune of others, of friends, at some point? If you say you haven't, then you're one in a million. And that was but one comment in an interview of several comments.

Give him a break.

P.

Back
Top Bottom