Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork

The plot thickens. Is Andy in or out? This just posted on Pitchfork

Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in “Classically Smiths” Concerts - Pitchfork
Rep claims promoter fabricated quote from Rourke in press release

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.17.00 AM.png

The Smiths' Andy Rourke Denies Involvement in Orchestral Concerts - Rolling Stone. Link posted by Famous when dead
"At no time did I give my consent for anyone in connection with this Classically Smiths project to act on my behalf," bassist says

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think Andy needs to be given a 'talking to' by anyone. We can all see through Mike Joyce's cash grab shenanigans. Andy can think for himself, sometimes I get the impression that people see him as some ex-heroin addict bass player pushover simpleton, which is a little unfair.

I'm sure you are right, but how did Andy let it get to the point where his participation is announced worldwide? He should have shut it down immediately and saved everyone embarrassment. Morrissey did say Andy was the most malleable member of the Smiths. The whole thing is a fascinating train wreck though, isn't it?

I'm sure you are right, but how did Andy let it get to the point where his participation is announced worldwide? He should have shut it down immediately and saved everyone embarrassment. Morrissey did say Andy was the most malleable member of the Smiths. The whole thing is a fascinating train wreck though, isn't it?

'I'm sure you are right, but how did Andy let it get to the point where his participation is announced worldwide?'

he was probably given a talking to by Johnny. ;)

Do you think Andy will change his mind ? maybe he won't because his name was used,etc without his permission and he won't forgive.

Is this thing still gonna happen? Only Joyce left ? Even if Gannon stays, is he really any kind of a draw? Is Joyce even any kind of a draw?, Did ANYONE go to that Wolverhampton presentation he did a while back?

Do we really believe Andy said no to it so he can leave the door open to the possibilities of a real reunion? Maybe.

Joyce only wants this to happen because he knows even if there is a real reunion he WILL NOT be invited back, so..

Mike has nothing to lose, because he already lost.

Apparently Andy found the following mysterious note, left on his car windscreen:
"Andy, you have left the Classically Smiths. Good luck and goodbye...

More seriously - whilst I can understand the theories that Andy might have suddenly backed out due to either Moz 'paying him off' to wreck it, or Johnny advising against it on the promise there's something better coming in the future - that doesn't really account for the pissed off tone of his statement. He's been mates with Mike for decades, and would surely cry off with a little more grace (just pretend he's ill, or has other commitments) if that was the reason.

It looks to me like the stated reason seems the most likely here - they were in discussion as a 'possibly/maybe', failed to 100% confirm - but then the promotors jumped the gun and went ahead and publicised it anyway.

Dale Hibbert's phone must be ringing off the hook, right now.

'I'm sure you are right, but how did Andy let it get to the point where his participation is announced worldwide?'

he was probably given a talking to by Johnny. ;)

Do you think Andy will change his mind ? maybe he won't because his name was used,etc without his permission and he won't forgive.

Is this thing still gonna happen? Only Joyce left ? Even if Gannon stays, is he really any kind of a draw? Is Joyce even any kind of a draw?, Did ANYONE go to that Wolverhampton presentation he did a while back?

Do we really believe Andy said no to it so he can leave the door open to the possibilities of a real reunion? Maybe.

Joyce only wants this to happen because he knows even if there is a real reunion he WILL NOT be invited back, so..

Mike has nothing to lose, because he already lost.

Andy appears to work as a DJ in New York. The singer of his band just died. I think if anything, the paycheck might be the deciding factor in any final decision. The other thing is Johnny's opinion, in all the pictures of Andy and him together, they look really close. Although I think Johnny understands the idea that people have to make a living.

Also, I don't think there will ever be a reunion. And agreed, Johnny & Moz will never, ever share a stage with Mike Joyce.

Anyway, I'd go see just an orchestra doing the Smiths, not even involving any Smiths - that's how much of a fan I am!

Andy appears to work as a DJ in New York. The singer of his band just died. I think if anything, the paycheck might be the deciding factor in any final decision. The other thing is Johnny's opinion, in all the pictures of Andy and him together, they look really close. Although I think Johnny understands the idea that people have to make a living.

Also, I don't think there will ever be a reunion. And agreed, Johnny & Moz will never, ever share a stage with Mike Joyce.

Anyway, I'd go see just an orchestra doing the Smiths, not even involving any Smiths - that's how much of a fan I am!

'The singer of his band just died.'

I think Andy was on the fence about doing it, then Dolores passed away, and then Andy saw that they used his name and made false quotes, and he was like.. screw it all. I don't blame him, if that was the case.

1) Get some new material.

2) You hate Joyce because Morrissey does? Are you 12? Or just completely bonkers? No one is that much of a sycophant unless they were a complete wacko.

Ketamine Sun thinks Morrissey will read all her 1001 per month anti-Joycean posts and then ask her to marry her and they will live happily ever after in Morrissey's castle in Switzerland and Mozzer will serenade Let It Go to her from the moat.

I think I'd prefer it that way. It's like when Lol Tolhurst goes out and plays drums with Cure tributes. It's more than a little sad. I'd rather see the cover band than the guy who got left behind 30 years ago.

Hmmm. Have you seen Mike Joyce's house?

I have and it’s very nice, as somebody else has said Ketamine hates anything that’s not pro Morrissey. Fact is Mike has lost nothing. He is a well liked guy, happily married with 3 kids and is financially sound.

Compare that to a an individual who has no friends, pisses off everyone around him, lives out of hotel rooms, is full of bile and bitchiness, has plenty of money but no one to share it with.

Who lost?

Where does the Moz army stand in this? Will they be supporting this or will they be seen as traitors to Morrissey.???

I have and it’s very nice, as somebody else has said Ketamine hates anything that’s not pro Morrissey. Fact is Mike has lost nothing. He is a well liked guy, happily married with 3 kids and is financially sound.

Compare that to a an individual who has no friends, pisses off everyone around him, lives out of hotel rooms, is full of bile and bitchiness, has plenty of money but no one to share it with.

Who lost?

How do you know? It’s second guessing, I am sure Morrissey is sat in a worn in cardigan drinking tea with his mum laughing at joyce

Who lost?

We lost. It is quite the shame. So much time spent on the past. Each one of them was an integral part of the success of the band. What percentage should be assigned to each is unfortunately what lead to their demise. I love Mike's drumming, Andy's bass and Johnny's guitar playing, and Morrissey's wonderful lyrics and singing.

Morrissey is a primadonna. He was a superstar waiting in his bedroom, and Marr brought him out for the world to enjoy. In the end, these words come to mind:

Here we go again
Hurting each other for no reason
Wondering why we keep repeating
The same mistakes
Seems the more we give
The more we're disillusioned
Baby, what is it we're doin?
Are we so scared of give and take?
Ohh...

Why do we always hurt the ones we love?
(Why?)
Just when it seems we've fin'lly made a breakthrough
Why can't we fly between the eagle and the dove?
Why do we always hurt the ones we love?

Not that they loved each other, but I am certain each one to the man would say they loved The Smiths.

Last edited:
I don't know whether mike Joyce was right or wrong in taking morrissey to court. However I do know that it was a long time ago, and people should be allowed to move on from mistakes they've made in the past and not have it define them for the rest of their lives, especially when they're not particularly heinous mistakes. Mike seems like an alright guy. I can't understand what is the point of continually condemning him for something he did so long ago in the past.

That's not going to be a factor in anyone's thinking. There's as much chance of a Smiths reunion (of any sort) as a Bee Gees reunion.

IMO, the simplest interpretation of this is that Andy was pretty much committed to the classical Smiths thing, but not unreasonably expected a pause in moving things forward given that the main thing on his mind at the moment is a funeral. It's understandable for him to be pissed off that Mike and the promoter have just ploughed on regardless.

You might have hit the nail on the head, Cornflakes.

That's not going to be a factor in anyone's thinking. There's as much chance of a Smiths reunion (of any sort) as a Bee Gees reunion..

We know for a fact that Marr is up for working with Morrissey again. Steve has just had arguably the worst two months of his career. There is therefore a pretty strong likelihood that they will work together again. There is absolutely zero likelihood that either will ever work with Joyce Michael again.

I don't know whether mike Joyce was right or wrong in taking morrissey to court. However I do know that it was a long time ago, and people should be allowed to move on from mistakes they've made in the past and not have it define them for the rest of their lives, especially when they're not particularly heinous mistakes. Mike seems like an alright guy. I can't understand what is the point of continually condemning him for something he did so long ago in the past.
I agree, Rifke. He was only trying to get what was rightfully his, anyway, and he tried for years to get it without going to court but was perpetually fobbed off. Even though he won, some people in that situation would have been bitter and badmouthed Morrissey, but I've never heard him say a bad word about him.

If this doesn't work we can always have Alain Whyte (guitar), Stephen Street (bass), and Andrew Paresi (drums) + string section teaming up for 'Classically Moz'.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom