Andy Rourke bass part for "This Charming Man" - 56th best bass part of all time in BassPlayer Magazine

It's just been voted the 56th best bass part of all time in BassPlayer Magazine.

'The Smiths were a group at least a decade ahead of their time, doomed to be more read about than listened to during their active career, and only fully appreciated several years after the band members had gone their separate ways.

Bassist Andy Rourke is the group's unsung hero , complementing the guitar wizardry of Johnny Marr in a way that most of us could never hope to do.

The fast fingered line on This Charming Man is his masterpiece'.

Lovely to see Andy getting some long overdue praise for his bass work in The Smiths.

Last edited by a moderator:
The arrangement for bass have had some help from John Porter. If you listen to HOH version you'll have something slightly different. But, of course, Andy is one of the best bass player of post-punk. I think he's better than Peter Hook, however, Hook has a very personal way of playing. Andy has much more talent and skill.

Screenshot_20220723-122848.png

Image for posterity.
FWD.

alone

together alone

Bassist Andy Rourke is the group's unsung hero , complementing the guitar wizardry of Johnny Marr in a way that most of us could never hope to do.
The fast fingered line on This Charming Man is his masterpiece'

What makes this song for me is Mikes bass line and Morrissey’s melody and voice that really work together to move and express the sadder undercurrent or vibe of the song, best way I can explain it.

Last edited:
The bassline of his I enjoyed the most was for the demo/instrumental version of The Queen Is Dead. I could listen to it all day, wonderful stuff...

The bassline of his I enjoyed the most was for the demo/instrumental version of The Queen Is Dead. I could listen to it all day, wonderful stuff...

How predictable.
It’s even better with Morrissey singing over the top of it.
“All those lies about racism and money, they’re still there..”

I don’t usually agree with people who pretend to be literate cats, but I’ll make an exception here. The bass on Barbarism… shits all over The* Charming Man.
Well, considering I’m a 52 year old surgeon who speaks 4 languages and has raised 2 children, that’s incredibly noble of you and I’ll add it to my CV. 😘

Well, considering I’m a 52 year old surgeon who speaks 4 languages and has raised 2 children, that’s incredibly noble of you and I’ll add it to my CV. 😘

And naturally, stating that the Barbarism Begins bass line is fantastic should come top and first in your list of achievements.

;)

Oooooh, get you, dear. I’d put that information in brackets (parentheses, I believe you might call them), just after the “pretend to be a cat online” bit.

Oooooh, get you, dear. I’d put that information in brackets (parentheses, I believe you might call them), just after the “pretend to be a cat online” bit.
Being a literate cat is one of my proudest achievements, not before encountering a member of The Smiths in 1985 online naturally.

It's just been voted the 56th best bass part of all time in BassPlayer Magazine.

'The Smiths were a group at least a decade ahead of their time, doomed to be more read about than listened to during their active career,
and only fully appreciated several years after the band members had gone their separate ways.

The fast fingered line on This Charming Man is his masterpiece'.

Lovely to see Andy getting some long overdue praise for his bass work in The Smiths.
Who got first place? 🤔

I expect Barbarism Begins At Home didn't sit too well with a bass player magazine cos it's a bit melodic. Although I think Rourke's best bass line is November Spawned A Monster so what do I know.

Last edited:
I have met Andy, Mike, Johnny, Craig and Stephen Street. All very nice people. I have also met Morrissey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom