An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

We of course have to assume these demos really ARE from that time period, but they SURE DON'T sound very "Monster-y" at all! (Rocker With Vocal and Experiment 4-28 being exceptions)
Some of the instrumental ones could just as easily be presented as demos from the Reckoning era, and others from the Document era and Out Of Time era in my mind. Try to sing the chorus to Harborcoat over the "chorus" portion of Uptempo Ricky...
I'm sure glad they went the way they did with Monster instead.
Don't know that I'll really listen to these demos more than a few times though. Pretty boring...

As far as the REMASTER and the REMIX...
A lot of the vocals seem WAY more buried in the REMASTER than the original release. And I agree with the "brickwalling".
The REMIX is a "one trick pony" to me that overdoes it WAY too much. I appreciate having it, because I can now actually make out some lyrics I have been wrong on for 25yrs! But it's super predictable one song to the next. Just crank the vocal and bury the guitar.
With that said I DEFINITELY like Star 69 better in the remix version and I think I like Bang and Blame with the more in your face vocal of the remix.
But the rest are a big "NO" to me over the originals.
ANOTHER remix with the original tracks (guitar centric) and portions of the vocals more forward (but less forward) would be fun.
Disappointed (like others) on the "effort" put forth on this 25th anniv release I guess.

Last edited:
Dark Sky = Until The Day is Done
Harlan County = Hints of Final Straw

"Black Sky 4-14" is definitely an early Until the Day is Done.
"Cranky 4-29" sounds like an alternate version of I Believe to me!
"Time is On Mikes Side" sounds super familiar as well, but can't place it. Could easily be passed off as a demo from Document or Green.

Last edited:
"Black Sky 4-14" is definitely an early Until the Day is Done.
"Cranky 4-29" sounds like an alternate version of I Believe to me!
"Time is On Mikes Side" sounds super familiar as well, but can't place it. Could easily be passed off as a demo from Document or Green.
Black Sky is Until the Day Is Done and Harland County is Final Straw. You can read about in the monster 25 deluxe edition book.

Black Sky is Until the Day Is Done and Harland County is Final Straw. You can read about in the monster 25 deluxe edition book.

Those two seem right to me, but I'd add (without reading any liner notes I don't have access to) that "AM Boo" could be a pretty early "Crush With Eyeliner", "Sputnik" was influenced by Nirvana, "Highland Fling" would easily be a fan favorite and "Uptempo Ricky" is the little sister of "Harborcoat" with traces of "Bang and Blame".

We of course have to assume these demos really ARE from that time period, but they SURE DON'T sound very "Monster-y" at all! (Rocker With Vocal and Experiment 4-28 being exceptions)
Some of the instrumental ones could just as easily be presented as demos from the Reckoning era, and others from the Document era and Out Of Time era in my mind. Try to sing the chorus to Harborcoat over the "chorus" portion of Uptempo Ricky...
I'm sure glad they went the way they did with Monster instead.
Don't know that I'll really listen to these demos more than a few times though. Pretty boring...

As far as the REMASTER and the REMIX...
A lot of the vocals seem WAY more buried in the REMASTER than the original release. And I agree with the "brickwalling".
The REMIX is a "one trick pony" to me that overdoes it WAY too much. I appreciate having it, because I can now actually make out some lyrics I have been wrong on for 25yrs! But it's super predictable one song to the next. Just crank the vocal and bury the guitar.
With that said I DEFINITELY like Star 69 better in the remix version and I think I like Bang and Blame with the more in your face vocal of the remix.
But the rest are a big "NO" to me over the originals.
ANOTHER remix with the original tracks (guitar centric) and portions of the vocals more forward (but less forward) would be fun.
Disappointed (like others) on the "effort" put forth on this 25th anniv release I guess.

They are from the period : at the time, REM often shelved songs because they sounded too much like REM of old, and revisited them later on to see if Michael could be inspired (which of course, on Final Straw, and Until The Day Is Done, did happen).

Hello all!
Would any kind soul out there have good quality DVD rips (video, not just the audio) of Tourfilm, Road Movie and This Is Not A Show that they would be prepared to Dropbox (or whatever)? I'd be so grateful, thanks.

I just checked the Russian tracker and "Tourfilm" is there for download. I own "Road Movie" as a DVD and can't remember where I found "This is not a show" (which is not worth it anyway; awful directing and editing job).

I just checked the Russian tracker and "Tourfilm" is there for download. I own "Road Movie" as a DVD and can't remember where I found "This is not a show" (which is not worth it anyway; awful directing and editing job).
~
Can't find Tourfilm where you say... and would you be kind enough to do a torrent of Road Movie? I'd also still like a copy of This Is Not A Show, doesn't sound amazing but I might like it!

This Is Not A Show is actually on vimeo -

I just found this forum after being on a major R.E.M. kick through listening to the Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman podcast. While doing some setlist browsing, I discovered that Lindsey Buckingham played on Everybody Hurts at the November 1, 1995 Inglewood California show. An mp3 of it was posted back in 2005 on a Buckingham Nicks fan site but is since long gone. Someone here must have it, yeah? Would love to hear Lindsey soloing on Everybody Hurts!

As a general note : "This Is Not A Show" - and the similar "6 Days" thats on the Accelerate DVD edition - are both essentially worthless low-res, black + white, choppily edited with not one full song in, which seems to be the style of the director. Both are unwatchably incoherent.

Just watched This Is Not A Show at that Vimeo link. Quite enjoyed it, though I can see why some would hate it.

Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey is coming to my neighbor town in Norway

Attachments

• 84B1A9E0-643C-444F-8A8D-AE69E3AF27AB.jpeg
    84B1A9E0-643C-444F-8A8D-AE69E3AF27AB.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Two Monster moments:
- "King of comedy" is my least favorite song on the album, but it also has my most favoritest little moment in the whole album: Sally Dworsky's "oh yeaaaah"s.
- One of the main differences I first noticed when listening to the new remix by Scott Litt was the new cockatoo part by Stipe in "I don't sleep I dream". Don't like it.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom