An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by soundofthenorth, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Thewlis

Thewlis Junior Member

2. Driver8rws

Driver8rws New Member

We of course have to assume these demos really ARE from that time period, but they SURE DON'T sound very "Monster-y" at all! (Rocker With Vocal and Experiment 4-28 being exceptions)
    Some of the instrumental ones could just as easily be presented as demos from the Reckoning era, and others from the Document era and Out Of Time era in my mind. Try to sing the chorus to Harborcoat over the "chorus" portion of Uptempo Ricky...
    I'm sure glad they went the way they did with Monster instead.
    Don't know that I'll really listen to these demos more than a few times though. Pretty boring...

As far as the REMASTER and the REMIX...
    A lot of the vocals seem WAY more buried in the REMASTER than the original release. And I agree with the "brickwalling".
    The REMIX is a "one trick pony" to me that overdoes it WAY too much. I appreciate having it, because I can now actually make out some lyrics I have been wrong on for 25yrs! But it's super predictable one song to the next. Just crank the vocal and bury the guitar.
    With that said I DEFINITELY like Star 69 better in the remix version and I think I like Bang and Blame with the more in your face vocal of the remix.
    But the rest are a big "NO" to me over the originals.
    ANOTHER remix with the original tracks (guitar centric) and portions of the vocals more forward (but less forward) would be fun.
    Disappointed (like others) on the "effort" put forth on this 25th anniv release I guess.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM
  3. Driver8rws

Driver8rws New Member

"Black Sky 4-14" is definitely an early Until the Day is Done.
    "Cranky 4-29" sounds like an alternate version of I Believe to me!
    "Time is On Mikes Side" sounds super familiar as well, but can't place it. Could easily be passed off as a demo from Document or Green.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 7:05 PM
  4. fanofrem

fanofrem Active Member

Black Sky is Until the Day Is Done and Harland County is Final Straw. You can read about in the monster 25 deluxe edition book.

5. fanofrem

fanofrem Active Member

Time is on Mikes side sounds like Mine Smell Like Honey to my ears

6. gargumma

gargumma Active Member

Those two seem right to me, but I'd add (without reading any liner notes I don't have access to) that "AM Boo" could be a pretty early "Crush With Eyeliner", "Sputnik" was influenced by Nirvana, "Highland Fling" would easily be a fan favorite and "Uptempo Ricky" is the little sister of "Harborcoat" with traces of "Bang and Blame".

7. MoneyChangesEverything

MoneyChangesEverything "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

They are from the period : at the time, REM often shelved songs because they sounded too much like REM of old, and revisited them later on to see if Michael could be inspired (which of course, on Final Straw, and Until The Day Is Done, did happen).

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello all!
    Would any kind soul out there have good quality DVD rips (video, not just the audio) of Tourfilm, Road Movie and This Is Not A Show that they would be prepared to Dropbox (or whatever)? I'd be so grateful, thanks.

9. MoneyChangesEverything

MoneyChangesEverything "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

They did used to all be on YouTube.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not now. Just fragments of each and in relatively low quality.

11. gargumma

gargumma Active Member

I just checked the Russian tracker and "Tourfilm" is there for download. I own "Road Movie" as a DVD and can't remember where I found "This is not a show" (which is not worth it anyway; awful directing and editing job).

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

~
    Can't find Tourfilm where you say... and would you be kind enough to do a torrent of Road Movie? I'd also still like a copy of This Is Not A Show, doesn't sound amazing but I might like it!

Tags: