An OZ sees MOZ in Berlin!

marred

Well I have say that was pretty f@%King amazing! Mozzer's voice was on perfect pitch note for note. No sign of any voice strain whatsoever. I think his voice if anything was sounding even better and stronger than ever. He said something like "I realize now I am from Berlin." which you can imagine got a great cheer. Every song was tight as hell but if I had to pick one that was a little shall we say loose and floppy was "How can anybody...?". Band just seemed to be plonking along on that one.

Highlight songs for me were Paris which was just fantastic and a real sing - a - long for all who wanted to. "One day goodbye will be farewell" rocked like it was on steroids. "Seasick yet still docked" was utterly hypnotic and Jesse was plucking those strings beautifully while Moz plucked the heart strings. My brother cried during "Ask". He is a sensitive one that boy :) All the other songs like the ones I mentioned were loaded with extra gunpowder and "How soon is now" was a goddamn bazooka! Moz laid down on the stage while the boys played out the last part of HSIN? and Matt beat the shite out of the gong!

Morrissey actually looks younger in person than he does in the recent pics and interviews I have seen which I wasn't expecting. He handed the mic to a few people and asked if anybody had any questions. I can't really remember what they said other than "Poland is waiting for you" which isn't really a question and some moron behind me yelled out "F%#K me! which Moz did not like at all by the way he screwed his face up.

Moz handed the mic to me and I asked him what I have been wanting to ask him for a while now.

Me: When are you coming to Australia?

crowd laughs

to which he replied in true Moz fashion.

Moz: (smiling) Next question.

crowd laughs again

I mean what's the man going to say? I was just thrilled to look straight into his eyes one foot away and actually say something to him. I couldn't believe I managed the power of speech???

Just before the encore Moz and the band came out, put their arms round each others shoulders and were going to bow but Moz instead decide to just drop straight down dragging the whole band to the floor and they piled on top of each other laughing! Solomon had to lift Boz up who seemed to be giddy with laughter.

During the Encore of "Furst..." A girl seemed to spring from left behind me and landed on the stage. The security guard in the pit managed to grab her ankle but her ambition pulled her free and she ran straight past Moz towards the exit. I guess she was a little dazed from the stage lights. She turned around saw Moz and gave him a big hug which was awesome. 3 or 4 others tried to get on the stage with less luck and even less grace. A couple of those managed to get a few Moz fingers.

Moz walked off and the rest of the band proceeded to shake everyone's hands in the front row. So even if I didn't get to shake Mozzer's hand I did shake the hands of the whole band. Solomon had the strongest grip of em all but not too strong.

A couple of shirts from the counter and off we went to listen and dance to guess who at home!

I have a few pics I'll post when I charge my camera battery but here's the setlist my sister in law got and graciously gave to me and my bro got one too.

Berlin_09_setlist.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant tale!

I laughed about the girl who ran PAST Morrissey. At least she turned around and rectified it!

Good on ya for asking him about travelling to Australia!

Thank you for fulfilling my main page request (I dunno if you saw it) to see the setlist! :thumb:

You have no idea how much I hate you right now :(
But well done on at least trying to ask the question .. god damnit Moz it's not time to be coy with answers, give us a yes or no!!

He said something like "I realize now I am from Berlin."

Didn't he say "I realize now that I'm German"? I could be wrong, though.

Me: :When are you coming to Australia?

That was you? Hehe ... I wonder how many Soloers were there and just didn't recognise each other.

I truly have to agree with everything you said, the show was fantastic and Morrisseys voice was stronger than ever. I just wish that they would have come out for another encore, because the audience around me finally seemed to wake up during FOTGTD.

And that's my only real complaint about this show: The audience. Because I arrived a little late at the Columbiahalle, I only stood somewhere in the middle between the stage and the mixing desk, but I had a really nice view. Anyway, I thought I would gain a few meters when the band started to play, but ... nothing. The crowd around me didn't move one tiny centimeter! They didn't sing, they didn't dance ... and naturally, I couldn't get any closer to the stage than I already had. Those people were standing like trees!

I'm normally not the kind of person to freak out at a concert, but with Morrissey that's different. Looking at all the zombies around me I was really envious at the crowd in the first rows, where people were very much alive.

Didn't he say "I realize now that I'm German"? I could be wrong, though.

That was you? Hehe ... I wonder how many Soloers were there and just didn't recognise each other.

I truly have to agree with everything you said, the show was fantastic and Morrisseys voice was stronger than ever. I just wish that they would have come out for another encore, because the audience around me finally seemed to wake up during FOTGTD.

And that's my only real complaint about this show: The audience. Because I arrived a little late at the Columbiahalle, I only stood somewhere in the middle between the stage and the mixing desk, but I had a really nice view. Anyway, I thought I would gain a few meters when the band started to play, but ... nothing. The crowd around me didn't move one tiny centimeter! They didn't sing, they didn't dance ... and naturally, I couldn't get any closer to the stage than I already had. Those people were standing like trees!

I'm normally not the kind of person to freak out at a concert, but with Morrissey that's different. Looking at all the zombies around me I was really envious at the crowd in the first rows, where people were very much alive.

Lol yep that was me alright :D Was strange too cuz as I heard my voice coming back at me out of the speakers it was quite a strange sensation and I thought I sounded like I was 12 years old :lbf:

Sorry to hear you were surrounded by trees. That's a real shame cuz our branches and leaves were swaying like mad up front! I was on his left side of the stage and he barely came over to us at all. What was so special about the other side of the stage that made him want to shake basically every person's hand over there I don't know?

It begs belief how people can go to any gig let alone Morrissey and just stand there and not even sing at least? There are plenty of other chances to stand around, not moving and doing basically fk all in life. This was not one of them.

I hope you had at least a good night if not a great one and yeah I think you're right about his comment on being German and not from Berlin.

Brilliant tale!

I laughed about the girl who ran PAST Morrissey. At least she turned around and rectified it!

Good on ya for asking him about travelling to Australia!

Thank you for fulfilling my main page request (I dunno if you saw it) to see the setlist! :thumb:

No Mel I didn't see your post but damn happy to oblige mate and doubly glad u got a laugh out of my review :)

You have no idea how much I hate you right now :(
But well done on at least trying to ask the question .. god damnit Moz it's not time to be coy with answers, give us a yes or no!!

Pokey I can understand your envy but at least I represented us "Down Outers" in some small way with a one on one. I remember when I saw him in 2002 at the Enmore theater in Sydney that the first thing he said when he came out on stage was that he was so touched and flattered that the tix sold out so quickly for all the OZ gigs even though he hadn't been there for 12 years. So his reply to my question shouldn't be taken to heart really as I don't think he was expecting a question like that especially in Germany.

Maybe I've planted a seed? OOps there goes the ego! :)

Last edited:
Well just to add a few things:

Moz did say I think: I realize now I MAY BE German. Classic Moz.

Maybe you mixed it up with Doll saying earlier: Ich bin eine Berliner in sort of Kennedy style. She was mentioning jokingly she learned it maent she was a donut (actually you don't call donuts Berliner here in this area, alzhough it's a common term in other parts of Germany).

No complaints about the audience from my side but then again I was in the first 5 to 10 rows. Excellent spirits there:). One girl really tried hard to get in touch with a couple of guys including me.

Other than that I totally agree with you: Moz and the band sounded great and really enjoyed it.

I also went to the aftershow party and had a nice chat with a Morrissey-Solo user from Austria.

I hope you had at least a good night if not a great one

You bet! It was just amazing to see Moz and the band live on stage again, and there were so many nice moments. I loved how they started the show with the TCM guitar riff, which worked really well as an opener.

I loved the new version of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, which I hadn't heard before (I haven't heard any bootlegs from the current tour yet). The Loop and the way Moz was dancing to it brought back memories of 1991, and Boz almost smashing his guitar at the end of the encore had a similar effect.

During the musical chaos at the end of "Furst" I thought I heard the bassline of All You Need Is Me, and for one brief moment I thought that Moz was going to come out again and giving us another encore.

I think he should have played AYNIM and Skull, as I think the show was way to short anyway. And I think that Mike Farrell was a better multi instrumentalist. But other than that I was perfectly happy with their performance.

Nah no mix up just a bit of a blur is all :) All I remember from doll and the kicks is her underwear. Is it just me or are they an act? And I don't mean in a good way either. I'm kinda surprised Moz has some affection for them... but anyway.

I forgot to mention the great footage that was played before they came out. I'm not sure if this footage is being played at all the gigs cuz no one seems to have mentioned it so far.

That black n white part of that guy singing "I'm the boy you should tell" as he prances around the stage haphazardly knocking over that girl in the ballerina outfit was hilarious. The rockabilly dude all quiffed up in a leather outfit singing "There's a whole lot of twistin' goin' on" was great. The short interview of that salford woman telling us that she gets so miserable when she leaves England even for a short time and not just england but Salford. Such a great insight into Mozzer's psyche :)

Of course there was some great clips of the New York dolls too for good measure.

Also there was a clip of a band in black and white walking around in the snow. Lead singer was a cute chick in a fur coat. Rest of the band was dudes. Awesome song and I'd love to know who they were if anyone can shed some light.

it was a very packed show, venue being very hot, and poeple going mad, i couldnt view a lot of people being quiet (beside the usual people at the back being not as animated as the front of course but thts the course of concerts
esp the people in the middle......and giving him more than warm reception

i has a lump in my throat during the stunnign seasick yet still docked..god what a song.bang me close to tears ..one of these moments..hard to explain ..the truth about love to be spoken ... hurts...

during the questioning he also handed the mic to a apparentely swedish girl who did tell him "sweden loves you" which replied "well thats an easy one, i,love sweden too"
another comment more to the beginning"after all Im german" ...lol
he was quite chatty...but i cant remember all qips

he sang a few lines from songs not written by him as an intro: a cabaret song(from the film cabaret) at the start of the first of the gang to die
and lines of another song which he sang when he introduced himself (as the last person) which happened at the band introductions part/(i couldnt idently the song though, could anybody, was sounding familiar to me...could anybody identify it?

the intro tape (the music not the videos was slightly changed , wasnt it..i ve heard a fgood part of songs of an operatic voice,-klaus nomi, Im sure(klaus being from berlin being the reason prob.)after the good part of his songs he did play some familar songs again as the cover of "paris" from the dolls and the kicks"

one shirt thrown into the crowd dring LMKY..
of the shirts he wore one was blue
voice was clear..

all stage invaders were female this time
one of the stage invaders was english(strong acent), i overheard her conversation on the cell phone telling her friends back home about it in front of the aftershowparty(which was great, too
(one of thedjs : robert-from morrisseylicious- on the small floor- did play a lot of gems : reel around the fountain, a swallow on my neck, skin storm, nobody loves us, etc etc..., , obviosly he is not one of the djs the dj who only plays the hits but being a true fan...and thank god his list of songs played contained almost completely( i would say 90-95 percent) of smiths/morrissey songs (not like the berlin aftershowparty from 2006 which was onyl playing a few smiths songs the whole night)

i remember popping in when he did play a swallow on my night and stayed there for the rest...party did last until the eraly morning
did met a nice couple from north germany fot a short time agin who i first met at the roundhouse gig to which they had traveled (to the canceled one on sat)
big floor ddi play more the hits and non noz 80ties stuff
also rockabilly stuff being played

EDIT : one thing to addD:ONE COMMENT FROM ONE OF TH AUDIENCE: "I HAVE BRUISES BIGGER THAN (or AS big as ?) DINNER PLATES!": MOZ REPLIED WITH "WAS IT WORTH IT?"

really hoping for a bootleg!

not my pics from flickr
some videos posted on youtube links at the main board

Last edited:
lines of another song which he sang when he introduced himself (as the last person) which happened at the band introductions part[/B]/(i couldnt idently the song though, could anybody, was sounding familiar to me...could anybody identify it?

Hey there! I am not 100% sure, but 99%. He sang a few lines of "Falling in love again". Or did I dream this?

Great concert it was! I grabbed one of the drumsticks and headed home being one of the luckiest guys alive!

Hey there! I am not 100% sure, but 99%. He sang a few lines of "Falling in love again". Or did I dream this?

Great concert it was! I grabbed one of the drumsticks and headed home being one of the luckiest guys alive!
thanks and welcome!
omg..really me being a friendrich holländer admirer (he wrote this) and having not clearly heard this .but it was abit noisey so i coulsnt hear all parts well and clear but its lines rings a bell even though i could only hear parts of the lines

mouz is obviously fond of the berlin of the 20ties and very rightly so.

(oh please let there be a bootleg)

Last edited:
Thank you for the beautiful report from the concert, marred

I don't get why 'Doll' compromises herself to do the dumb lolita cliché, aiming for a particulr segment of the blokes in the audience, it made me almost dislike the music.

On some of the videos (which mostly seem to be the same on the tour)

The rockabilly dude all quiffed up in a leather outfit singing "There's a whole lot of twistin' goin' on" was great.
Its Vince Taylor from Vince & the Playboys doing 'There's a lotta twistin goin'on '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkvrFQeTGU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Taylor
'According to David Bowie, Taylor was the main inspiration for Bowie’s character Ziggy Stardust.'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6230201.stm

The short interview of that salford woman telling us that she gets so miserable when she leaves England even for a short time and not just england but Salford.
Shelagh Delaney, author of A Taste of Honey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelagh_Delaney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IDjPwCgnjQ

Bump

Tour of Refusal clips:

1 Sparks - Lighten Up Morrissey
2 Sheilagh Delaney
3 Anthony Newley - I'm The Boy You Should Say 'Yes' to
4 Shirley Bassey - To Give is the Reason I Live
5 New York Dolls - Looking for a Kiss
6 Jobriath
7 Vince Taylor - Whole Lotta Twistig Goin' On
8 Shocking Blue - Mighty Joe
9 David Johansen smoking 'Turkish Tabacco'

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why 'Doll' compromises herself to do the dumb lolita cliché, aiming for a particulr segment of the blokes in the audience, it made me almost dislike the music.

I thought the Kicks were ok, but the Doll was annoying. Not so much her appearance, but her vocals managed to ruin every single song.

The dumb yellow silk flapping thing in her hair & and enforcing it in one of their songs while doing a mickey mousey earflop dance combined with her her madonnaesque corsetry in Offenbach along with betty boo pouting had drool inducing effects on some, bleurgh inducing on others (like me), so my eyes and ears rather blocked in self-help.

3611551713_159e7d5375.jpg

3617303649_77ab46b237.jpg

(pics from here http://meinzuhausemeinblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/morrissey-offenbach-090609.html, 2nd one taken in Cologne without corsetry)

Last edited:
Thank you for the beautiful report from the concert, marred

No worries Quiffa thx for saying so and thx very much for the info and links to the pre show footage.

Just a few pics which aren't great by any means but I was there to take the night in via my head and heart not a lens.

Me n my bro waiting under the bushes out of the rain. After seeing this photo it reminded me of the leaves on the "Our Frank" sleeve. Yes it may seem a bit trite me posting pics of my brother and I but this sotra thing doesn't happen very often for us Australians so bear with me :D

ourfrank.jpg

rain over and making sure I get up front!

IMGP0937.jpg

a terrible photo but as I said....blah, blah, blah and the gorilla ain't helpin' either.

IMGP0944.jpg

and over way too quickly.

IMGP0946.jpg

Last edited:
Me n my bro waiting under the bushes out of the rain. After seeing this photo it reminded me of the leaves on the "Our Frank" sleeve. Yes it may seem a bit trite me posting pics of my brother and I but this sotra thing doesn't happen very often for us Australians so bear with me :D

ourfrank.jpg

Two beauties (might be merged into the the male frink thread)
caught in the act of secret beer sipping ...

very 'Our frank' (would make also a v nice cover for a
Morrissey event /discoflyer)
a terrible photo but as I said....blah, blah, blah and the gorilla ain't helpin' either.

it's a picture of Morrissey, who will look anywhere else ?

Here are a few more pics. I accidentally had the camera on movie mode so I ended up taking 2 10 sec long clips which are a bit of a tease seeing as tho the sound quality is great. These are screen captures from those.

moz1.jpg

moz2.jpg

moz3.jpg

moz4.jpg

moz5.jpg

moz6.jpg

Pokey I can understand your envy but at least I represented us "Down Outers" in some small way with a one on one. I remember when I saw him in 2002 at the Enmore theater in Sydney that the first thing he said when he came out on stage was that he was so touched and flattered that the tix sold out so quickly for all the OZ gigs even though he hadn't been there for 12 years. So his reply to my question shouldn't be taken to heart really as I don't think he was expecting a question like that especially in Germany.

Maybe I've planted a seed? OOps there goes the ego! :)

You did your best, thats all one can ask! However I know he's not coming, I'm taking the smile and "next question" as "oh shit, someone actually read what was posted incorrectly on TTY.net, uhhh ... ummm - Next Question!" :(

Tags
berlin
Back
Top Bottom