American version of Morrissey

V

Victor Johnson

Greetings. My name is Victor Johnson. I am an artist/musician living in Atlanta, Georgia USA. For years, people have been telling me that I sound like Morrissey. When I first started hearing this, I had never heard of Morrissey or the Smiths. I heard it enough times, it prompted me to go out and buy "Louder Than Bombs" and "Viva Hate" both of which I loved, and got me into the Smiths, etc...

The funny thing is, its completely unintentional on my part, but that just seems to be how people relate to my voice. It still seems to be one of the first thing people say. I guess I just take it as a compliment.

Anyway, I have a cd out entitled, Tangled, which you can check out for yourself at http://www.cdbaby.com/victorjohnson

cheers,
Victor

CD Baby

Re: American version of

Victor.
Your songs "are said to induce concentration".

How do you do that?

> Victor.
> Your songs "are said to induce concentration".

> How do you do that?

When describing my music once, a friend of mine said my songs "induce concentration". I guess she was comparing it to a lot of other music that is somewhat mindless and superficial. In other words, it's the kind of music you have to sit down and pay attention to when you listen to it. It's not background music.

Victor

Oh Vic, May I call you Vic? Thanks, well Vic, It won't be long before your little "tangled" CD is tangled on Napster.

VIVA NAPSTER!!!!

> Oh Vic, May I call you Vic? Thanks, well Vic, It won't be long
> before your little "tangled" CD is tangled on Napster.

> VIVA NAPSTER!!!!

I'm not sure what your point is. Everybody is familiar with Napster. If you're trying to say that musicians should not receive any compensation for their work than you're an idiot because if musicians are not able to make a living then there wouldn't be any music to put on Napster. If musicians receive more exposure through places like MP3 and Napster that they wouldn't ordinarily find then these places are a good thing. It's hard to believe that people think music just grows on trees.

Victor Johnson

Napster musicians

> I'm not sure what your point is. Everybody is familiar with
> Napster.

Some people enjoy blind solidarity with what is "anti-establishment" purely for their antithetical value alone. An orator can say, "white," and you know there'll be someone who screams, "black!" just because, and there will surely be a lone fist raised from somewhere in the crowd for no real reason whatsoever.

> If you're trying to say that musicians should not
> receive any compensation for their work than you're an idiot
> because if musicians are not able to make a living then there
> wouldn't be any music to put on Napster.

Right on. I agree that Napster has its benefits, but in its full function it would be like a plague on the music industry, and basically it would end up curdling itself as well. The music industry is cut-throat enough as it is. You have a hit single and you're a star, but your second single flops and you're out. I believe artists who CAN make money, should.

> If musicians receive
> more exposure through places like MP3 and Napster that they
> wouldn't ordinarily find then these places are a good thing.
> It's hard to believe that people think music just grows on
> trees.

I just don't think people put much thought into things. I find that most of the time, after the initial enthusiasm, many just don't finish their thoughts; they start running and have no idea of where they're going or where they'll end up. I admire the brio, but I abhor the thoughtlessness. A lot of damage can be done by knee-jerk decision making.

ah_138.jpg

Re: "Yeah baby; I'm back"

Maybe she was comparing it to other music that is somewhat mindless and superficial bladebladewaffle...

OR

Would you like to hear what I think Victor? No, wait, don't answer. I really don't care whether you wanna here it or not because I wanna tell you, so I shall, simply and purely because it pleases me to do so (god I wish this were verbal...I REALLY LOVE my own voice on top of my senseless and arbitrary rantings!)

So I'm gonna s h a r e, unload, offer you(ram down your throat forcibly whether you like it or not actually) my uncalled for, unnecessary and most probably WHOLLY unwarranted belief(/attack)that I'd call the above either:

A radical interpretation of the text on your behalf you self serving, screeching LUNATIC. OK, possible OTHER interpritations of "induces concentration" I mean come on how fukin insulting can you get? your music is SO pants it drives one to deep concentration in order to drive the abismal drone out of ones consious mind?! Or concentrating on just how to not show utter disbelief as to how AWFUL it really is and concentrate on a flippin good lie, maybe an avoidance/non-commital type thing 'my god it's awful I can't lie to him but I can't exactly tell him!' type answer?

OR

Your friend is a pretentious pissbitch who needs a fuggin slap for TRYING to be all deep and thoughful and intense and intelligent when all, in point of fact, she is suc(k)ceding in actually doing is being...TRYING?! HA! Being trying whilst trying, my god I'm utterly brilliant, my keen sense of wit is downright astoundingly superb and I am amazed at the sheer genius which is meeeeeeeee(btw, there's no point disagreeing with me on this point, I will never accept it...somebody elses opinion over my own? Pfft - it's ludicrous to even consider it. Ever.)

My God, academic stress REALLY brings out the worst in me doesn't it?! The only redeaming factor about this fact (redeaming factor if you're ME that is) is that I don't actually care!

I've been completely lost; equilibrium turned quite completely to irregularity - distortion...I've was drowning and all the time all everyone kept doing was describing the bastard water to me!

This is all purely rhetorical you understand, there's really no need (use) for a response or a reply. See that's is the beauty of a soliloquy of the solipsist.

Re: Oh WHAT a fuggin suprise I must say..! (Yawning now)

> but I abhor the thoughtlessness. A lot of damage can be
> done by knee-jerk decision making.

Oh I've put a lot of thought into what a lot of lovely damage MY
knee-jerk reaction to YOU would make. See it's not merely a case of pushing the knee up but slamming the body down to meet it. It's amazing really how easily this could break someones neck, but that would be too quick for you dearie why if it were over so suddenly wherein would lie the fun?

And My Word! That wouldn't be, it's not, no, it can't be, It Isn't, surely that's not, no, wait it is, it really is, my dear good lord you posted a picture of...Audry Hepburn! Well paint me purple and call me crippen there's a shock event. What's up did you fancy a change?

You are such an a m a z i n g loser, it staggers me. Do you actually Practice or were you just graced with this horrible gift?! Did I mention just how much I dispise you lately...I'm sure I must have because I think you fukin suck so much so I feel compelled, almost to the point of a tourettes like infliction, to bark this out at you without ending or restraint! My god you're pathetic you choke.

You utter pilac, you more than disgust me.

"I will not change and I will not be nice"

You again?

> You are such an a m a z i n g loser, it staggers me. Do you
> actually Practice or were you just graced with this horrible
> gift?! Did I mention just how much I dispise you lately...

Cinderella, maybe if you spent some of your private time off the internet and off this message board you wouldn't find yourself outrageously exaggerating every minor annoyance on it. When you see the sun, the online musical universe seems much less important.

> I'm
> sure I must have because I think you fukin suck so much so I
> feel compelled, almost to the point of a tourettes like
> infliction, to bark this out at you without ending or restraint!
> My god you're pathetic you choke.

I know this is only your second post directed towards me but this has become quite tiresome, wouldn't you agree? You do realize that this is only an internet message board right? You seem obsessed. Redirect your misdirected rage somewhere else. Take up a @#!!!ing cause or something, they could use your energy. Listen "jlascivious," isn't it embarassing to be a cliche?

> You utter pilac, you more than disgust me.

[sigh] Like I said in my other message to you, that happens sometimes. What can one do?

> "I will not change and I will not be nice"

Fine, don't change or be nice. But why choose to be two years old forever? Maybe when you grow up a bit, you'll find that there are things in this world that aren't worth raising your heart rate to such dangerous levels for--certainly a "tourettes like infliction" is overdoing it? Calm down Cinderella. But if you really can't, then go right ahead continuing doing what you do. Yes, if you must hear it, when I read your messages they do embarass me and they do make me feel a little badly as I'm sure you intended them to. But at the end of the day it's nothing much.

This isn't about any issue or debate, this is simply about you not liking me and I don't know how to raise this exchange up to a decent level beyond pure pettiness. I don't want to get involved with these sorts of conversations because they're so absurd and needlessly aggravating. But if you dislike me so much, just stop clicking on my messages. It's really easy Cinderella. I don't know what else to tell you.

-Cili

Re: why who else!

> Cinderella, maybe if you spent some of your private time off the
> internet and off this message board you wouldn't find yourself
> outrageously exaggerating every minor annoyance on it. When you
> see the sun, the online musical universe seems much less
> important.

Yawn...

> I know this is only your second post directed towards me but
> this has become quite tiresome, wouldn't you agree? You do
> realize that this is only an internet message board right? You
> seem obsessed. Redirect your misdirected rage somewhere else.
> Take up a @#!!! ing cause or something, they could use your
> energy. Listen "jlascivious," isn't it embarassing to
> be a cliche?

same old, same old...

> [sigh] Like I said in my other message to you, that happens
> sometimes. What can one do?

> Fine, don't change or be nice. But why choose to be two years
> old forever? Maybe when you grow up a bit, you'll find that
> there are things in this world that aren't worth raising your
> heart rate to such dangerous levels for--certainly a
> "tourettes like infliction" is overdoing it? Calm down
> Cinderella. But if you really can't, then go right ahead
> continuing doing what you do. Yes, if you must hear it, when I
> read your messages they do embarass me and they do make me feel
> a little badly as I'm sure you intended them to. But at the end
> of the day it's nothing much.

Ooh I strike the nerve and how you SLASH me with your words (stifled laughter)

> This isn't about any issue or debate, this is simply about you
> not liking me and I don't know how to raise this exchange up to
> a decent level beyond pure pettiness. I don't want to get
> involved with these sorts of conversations because they're so
> absurd and needlessly aggravating. But if you dislike me so
> much, just stop clicking on my messages. It's really easy
> Cinderella. I don't know what else to tell you.

But I take great pleasure in not liking you so why ever would I want to stop?

Victor Johnson,

ok, you've made your little "They say I sound like Morrissey so buy my music now" speech, now shut up. How pathetic for you to advertise your music through Morrissey. And how pathetic for you to actually post here yourself. So I must be an "idiot" huh? That shows great character Victor. I don't think your gonna get very far by making comments like that in front of all these people, who you are trying to lure into your music. I hope your music ends up in the bargain bin at the local music store.
Now watch everyone as this "musician" angrily responds to me.
As a "musician" your gonna have to take it in the ass and like it!
DAMN, it feels so good to be bad!!

> When describing my music once, a friend of mine said my songs
> "induce concentration". I guess she was comparing it
> to a lot of other music that is somewhat mindless and
> superficial. In other words, it's the kind of music you have to
> sit down and pay attention to when you listen to it. It's not
> background music.

> Victor

Dear Victor,

thank you for the enlightening explanation.
This "concentration gift", I thought it was a wonderful idea for a bonus track.
And it saves you from having to sing.

Regards,
from Wendy.

> ok, you've made your little "They say I sound like
> Morrissey so buy my music now" speech, now shut up. How
> pathetic for you to advertise your music through Morrissey. And
> how pathetic for you to actually post here yourself.

Once again, I'm not really sure what you're referring to. The more exposure the better for any independent artist. And in regard to the second part, yes I actually post messages myself as I don't have a servant to post them for me. Don't you post things here yourself?

So I must
> be an "idiot" huh? That shows great character Victor.

If you read my post correctly you would see that that was not what I said.

I don't think your gonna get very far by making comments like
> that in front of all these people, who you are trying to lure
> into your music. I hope your music ends up in the bargain bin at
> the local music store.

People make their own decisions based on information provided. They listen to samples and decide for themselves if they like something or not. I've already accomplished my objective here by posting my information and whether or you care to pursue it is immaterial to me.

> Now watch everyone as this "musician" angrily responds
> to me.
> As a "musician" your gonna have to take it in the ass
> and like it!
> DAMN, it feels so good to be bad!!

To think that I would be angry is absurd as I don't even know you and nothing that you think or say makes any difference to anything of any importance to me. I'm used to having more intelligent conversations with people actually though I don't know if this can even be considered a conversation. Responding to this was more out of idle curiousity than anything else so don't flatter yourself.

Victor Johnson

Funny how you make no comment about selling your music through Morrissey. This is probably because you know its true and its wrong. Like I said your little "I sound like Morrissey so buy my music" speech is pathetic! Stop advertising your music here! Go some place where someone might give a damn! You sound like Morrissey, YEAH @#!!!ING RIGHT! GO produce some original music before you expect people to buy your records.

> Funny how you make no comment about selling your music through
> Morrissey. This is probably because you know its true and its
> wrong. Stop advertising your music here! Go some place where someone might give a damn! You sound like Morrissey, YEAH @#!!! ING RIGHT! GO produce some original music before you expect people to buy your records.

First of all, this is an open forum for fans of Morrissey of which I am one. This means that anybody can post anything and you don't necessarily have to like or agree with what they are saying. Now most of the time when people have debates over an issue, they discuss it in a respectful, intelligent manner. You apparently have no regard for any etiquette, and are just ranting and raving, full of aggression for no obvious reason.

My cd is being sold through http://www.cdbaby.com , not through this bulletin board and I certainly haven't seen any advertisements so I really don't know what you're talking about as far as advertising. And let's see, a long time ago we covered the fact that people think that my voice sounds like Morrissey...hmmm you didn't quite understand so let's explain this again in simpler English so it might sink in and not be so confusing to you.

I write and produce original music that is completely unique and different from anything else. When people hear new music, they relate it to something else they are already familiar with in order to describe it. What they mean is that it reminds them of a particular artist. The music may be completely different but there might be one aspect that makes them think of this other person. I can assure you that my music does not sound anything like the Smiths or Morrissey nor have I ever intended it to. However, Morrissey and I both have a rich tenor voice that is in a similiar range. So when people hear me sing, it reminds them of Morrissey a little. Personally, I don't think I sound like Morrissey though I can see why some people might see a resemblence.

I have sold cds to people all over the world as you would see if you visited my website. You would also see all the excellent reviews it has gotten. I hope this had made things a little clearer for you. I don't see how I can simplify it any further.

Victor

Read Greaseteas message for some more Victor Johnson bashing. It's Lovely!

> First of all, this is an open forum for fans of Morrissey of
> which I am one. This means that anybody can post anything and
> you don't necessarily have to like or agree with what they are
> saying. Now most of the time when people have debates over an
> issue, they discuss it in a respectful, intelligent manner. You
> apparently have no regard for any etiquette, and are just
> ranting and raving, full of aggression for no obvious reason.

> My cd is being sold through http://www.cdbaby.com , not
> through this bulletin board and I certainly haven't seen any
> advertisements so I really don't know what you're talking about
> as far as advertising. And let's see, a long time ago we covered
> the fact that people think that my voice sounds like
> Morrissey...hmmm you didn't quite understand so let's explain
> this again in simpler English so it might sink in and not be so
> confusing to you.

> I write and produce original music that is completely unique and
> different from anything else. When people hear new music, they
> relate it to something else they are already familiar with in
> order to describe it. What they mean is that it reminds them of
> a particular artist. The music may be completely different but
> there might be one aspect that makes them think of this other
> person. I can assure you that my music does not sound anything
> like the Smiths or Morrissey nor have I ever intended it to.
> However, Morrissey and I both have a rich tenor voice that is in
> a similiar range. So when people hear me sing, it reminds them
> of Morrissey a little. Personally, I don't think I sound like
> Morrissey though I can see why some people might see a
> resemblence.

> I have sold cds to people all over the world as you would see if
> you visited my website. You would also see all the excellent
> reviews it has gotten. I hope this had made things a little
> clearer for you. I don't see how I can simplify it any further.

> Victor

Back
Top Bottom