"America Is Not The World"

friday mourning

I´m curious to know what the Americans here think of this song? Especially the lyrics. Do you consider it an attack on you personally? I´ve always viewed it as an attack on the current administration.

I made the mistake of quoting the "If the U.S.A doesn´t bomb you"-part on another forum in my signature (the reason for this was that it was playing in my mind - I meant no disrespect to Americans as people) and then....
"The anti -American quote used by this vermin from the lips of his hero Morrissey, sounds like it could have been said by the Rev Wright and is a typical piece of American hating crap all too common from the too many reptiles that inhabit the continent. America is not perfect but, my God,without it, scum like you on the continent, would not be here now."

Hmmmm....

I've never liked the song. Some of its sentiments accord with some of my own, but, as a tune, it's hard to listen to a line like "You know where you can shove your hamburger" sung by the man who wrote "The Queen Is Dead".

Speaking as an American, I'm not insulted by the song any more than I'm insulted by the anti-American sentiments in (for example) the later films of Jean-Luc Godard. The good European artists have a complex relationship with America, every bit the love/hate dynamic Morrissey sings about, so I'm not in the least bothered by his criticism as long as he knows about the good stuff, too, and it's clear that he does.

I've never liked the song. Some of its sentiments accord with some of my own, but, as a tune, it's hard to listen to a line like "You know where you can shove your hamburger" sung by the man who wrote "The Queen Is Dead".

Speaking as an American, I'm not insulted by the song any more than I'm insulted by the anti-American sentiments in (for example) the later films of Jean-Luc Godard. The good European artists have a complex relationship with America, every bit the love/hate dynamic Morrissey sings about, so I'm not in the least bothered by his criticism as long as he knows about the good stuff, too, and it's clear that he does.

I started typing a long rant but you summed up my exact sentiments much more acutely and succinctly.

-- Riah "admirer of such 'anti-American vermin' as Godard, Gang of Four (the band), Barbara Kruger, etc." Shusher

Last edited:
I've read a lot of reviews on 'YATQ' by other American fans saying that they were never buying another Morrissey release again because of this song.

I truly have no problem with it as an American. IMO everything mozza says in it is true. He knows that there are intelligent people in America (albeit, very few). Most residually, they are Morrissey fans :D.

It is also an ideal album opener.

Personally I think there are idiots in all countries all over the world - not just the States :) There are plenty of them here in Finland - I´m sure I might be considered one by some living here. Fortunately there are still some nice, people left - like you people who replied to this thread.

Personally I think there are idiots in all countries all over the world - not just the States :) There are plenty of them here in Finland - I´m sure I might be considered one by some living here. Fortunately there are still some nice, people left - like you people who replied to this thread.

Well it has come down to a more central matter with me, for I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Moz refuses to play here. I would of course be fine with it if PA had problems like Canada's seal bashing, but Mozza's only reason for not coming here is that he "refuses to play in a parking lot," which of course wouldn't be the case. He must have had a bad experience here, but PLEASE moz, for my sake, come on to my house, come on and do something newwww!!! :pray::pray::pray:

"And I love you..."

Doesn't that kind of erase the possibility of him abhoring America and [all] Americans?

See I dont mind the track and in fact like it lyrically and by and large undestand the sentiment as an American myself. That being said its rather dull to listen to and should not have been the opening track.

I think it accurately described my country. Plenty of fools, and a minority of genuinely good citizens. Don't get me wrong, most Americans are good people to their neighbors, it's just that many don't act responsibly when it comes to the future of their country.

american%20flag%20picture.jpg

Well it has come down to a more central matter with me, for I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Moz refuses to play here. I would of course be fine with it if PA had problems like Canada's seal bashing, but Mozza's only reason for not coming here is that he "refuses to play in a parking lot," which of course wouldn't be the case. He must have had a bad experience here, but PLEASE moz, for my sake, come on to my house, come on and do something newwww!!! :pray::pray::pray:

Does Morrissey mean that there are no good places to play in Pittsburgh? There must be at least one good place. I´m from Finland so I´m not familiar with your town but - due to my long-term Springsteen appreciation - I know there´s the Petersen Events Center and the Mellon Arena and a club called Nick´s Fat City (could be closed down now, for all I know). Those places have been ok for Springsteen in the past ten years.

P.S I´ve always found the American flag very beautiful-looking - I used to have one on my wall as a kid. The Finnish flag isn´t so glamourous but it´ll do ;-)

Suomen_lippu_valokuva.png

Back
Top Bottom