Alvvays’ Molly Rankin talks about Smiths influence - interview in The Guardian (October 11, 2022)

Not sure this really counts as either strange or unexpected, but there's a bit of Morrissey/Smiths chat in this new Guardian interview with Molly Rankin, singer from the band Alvvays, which includes the following bit:

There can be a thorniness to fandom that becomes more apparent with each passing year – the idea that idolatry may not be as simple as it was in one’s youth. In almost every interview that Rankin is asked about her influences, she brings up the Smiths – so I ask, Smiths fan to Smiths fan, how she’s coped with the last few years, which have seen Morrissey show support for far-right political parties and spew racist sentiment at his shows and in the press.

“Because I love the idea of two people with great ideas colliding at a very specific time and making something really beautiful and timeless, I feel very invested in the Smiths – so you might have to pry that from my cold dead hands,” she says. “It doesn’t mean that I agree with the views of Morrissey and where he’s gone with all that – you know, justice for Johnny Marr.”

When did he spew racist sentiment at his shows…

spew racist sentiment... what a load of bollocks. complete idiot woke twats.
and Alvvays still believe there was a pandemic in the last 2,5 years...

Last edited:
I love Morrissey
I love The Smiths
I love Alvvays

And I like some articles published by The Guardian, but hate the horrible way they treat Morrissey.

They can just print whatever they want and no one questions it. Not the public nor the people they interview. Does anyone have one original idea or thought? Has anyone from the Guardian or anyone of the people they interview on Morrissey ever looked into the whole “Morrissey is racist” idea? Everyone just accepts this absurd lack of nuance.

Who gives a crap what she thinks anyway and who the heck reads the Guardian.

I can confirm that we Canadians love Alvvays. Not terribly original but certainly not terribly bad.

My favorite band going. Knowing that Molly loves the Smiths makes me love them even more!

spew racist sentiment... what a load of bollocks. complete idiot woke twats.
and Alvvays still believe there was a pandemic in the last 2,5 years...
because there was a pandemic. Good for you for being somewhere where you were immune to it.

They stealth edited out the "spew racist sentiment... " - they're spreading lies to the industry, in person, in print and online, without taking responsibility for it.

When did he spew racist sentiment at his shows…
I'm the first to admit that he's said some pretty iffy comments (or at least ones open to bad interpretation) over various print interviews in years past - but I can't recall him ever 'spewing racist sentiment' at shows. At this stage, it's like these left-wing Guardian folks have bought into their own made-up mythology of Morrissey as some kind of Hitlerian villain.

I'm the first to admit that he's said some pretty iffy comments (or at least ones open to bad interpretation) over various print interviews in years past - but I can't recall him ever 'spewing racist sentiment' at shows. At this stage, it's like these left-wing Guardian folks have bought into their own made-up mythology of Morrissey as some kind of Hitlerian villain.
My point exactly. They can just say whatever they want and it goes completely unchallenged. And meanwhile Morrissey suffers a disproportionate backlash. It’s disgusting.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom