Alternate 1986 -another "what if" topic

M

Musician

Meanwhile Karen and other half-wits are getting off on transgender politics and animal liberation, and inspired by other "what if" topics (the attempt to carry on in 1987 etc), today it came to my mind: how would have shaped the story of The Smiths if Rough Trade does not "kidnap" the Queen Is Dead tapes and it gets released in December 1985. Would we have another album between TQID and Strangeways? Or would "Strangeways" have arrived sooner and also the split? How did that 5-6 months' delay influence what was about to come?

I don't know about a full album, but I suspect we might have got another single or two.

I reckon no change.

the motivation to write songs would have been there whether the album was released or not. I think strangeway would have come out at the same time and their issues would have escalated at the same time.

Meanwhile Karen and other half-wits are getting off on transgender politics and animal liberation, and inspired by other "what if" topics (the attempt to carry on in 1987 etc), today it came to my mind: how would have shaped the story of The Smiths if Rough Trade does not "kidnap" the Queen Is Dead tapes and it gets released in December 1985. Would we have another album between TQID and Strangeways? Or would "Strangeways" have arrived sooner and also the split? How did that 5-6 months' delay influence what was about to come?

Interesting question. Probably not another album but maybe another single or two? I don't think there's a scenario where The Smiths don't split... what might have extended their life a bit is proper management and much-needed rest between recording and touring. Even then I don't see them making it past 1990 or so. The tensions were just too high.

Last edited:
There would have been a European tour and maybe some other places they didn't get to.

Interesting question. Probably not another album but maybe another single or two? I don't think there's a scenario where The Smiths don't split... what might have extended their life is proper management and some much-needed rest between recording and touring. Even then I don't see them making it past 1990 or so. The tensions were just too high.
Of course, maybe I didn't phrase the way I had intended. I don't think the split could have been avoided, even with management - it's just an innocent fantasy how the story could have been different. One or two extra singles sound plausible.

Of course, maybe I didn't phrase the way I had intended. I don't think the split could have been avoided, even with management - it's just an innocent fantasy how the story could have been different. One or two extra singles sound plausible.
No, I got you. I guess I was just stating the obvious in that a split could not have been avoided. As primarily a Smiths fan I used to be quite depressed about the breakup but now I think it happened when it needed to. To me the strain is starting to show on Strageways, I don't think it's their best album at all. If they had more time they just would've done more of what was burning them out (constant recording and touring).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom