Alma Matters Theory

T

Talbot Rothwell

I know there has been long debate regarding the meaning of this song, in particular, is it about Alma from Coronation Street? Merely a play on words? I thought I would add my own ridiculous theory to the forum...

I considered that Alma Matters might be an anagram. I also decided that it was a play on words as well.

Reorganising the words Alma Maters, one possibility is "Malam Tears". As "malam" is the Indonesian word for "night", it is plain to see and exceedingly obvious to realise the Morrissey must be talking about crying into one's pillow (please see other song references) as in "Night Tears". Either that or "Night Rates" which could mean something else entirely....

See? You can always make something out of nothing if you only try....

Alma is also from the Welsh pagan religions, Alma is much like Kami, Karma & Aura all mixed into one.

cat.gif

Alma Matters

Why do you wish to analyze something so beautiful?
Just let it be.

I believe it can be felt. Why try so hard to understand it?
Then again, do as you may.

I just hope she knows and feels the same way.

> I know there has been long debate regarding the meaning of this
> song, in particular, is it about Alma from Coronation Street?
> Merely a play on words? I thought I would add my own ridiculous
> theory to the forum...

Thanks for the theory! I haven't really thought about the song too much. The first time I heard it I decided he was singing about his fans who have stayed with him for the long haul. It may not actually fit....but something like: He's staying true to his school, singing his songs, doing it his way even if people think he's a weirdo and sabotages his own career....and for some of us somewhere out here, below the radar of the music biz, it matters. A lot. We love that maladjusted monkey! That could be wrong, but whatever it means, it's sure a fun song to sing along to.

Oops! I forgot I was boycotting the message board! Bye!

Re: Alma Matters

All in jest, my friend, all in jest...

The evidence is overwhelming. She knows, I have no doubt.

> Thanks for the theory! I haven't really thought about the song
> too much. The first time I heard it I decided he was singing
> about his fans who have stayed with him for the long haul. It
> may not actually fit....but something like: He's staying true to
> his school, singing his songs, doing it his way even if people
> think he's a weirdo and sabotages his own career....and for some
> of us somewhere out here, below the radar of the music biz, it
> matters. A lot. We love that maladjusted monkey! That could be
> wrong, but whatever it means, it's sure a fun song to sing along
> to.

> Oops! I forgot I was boycotting the message board! Bye!

That's how I interpret the song as well.

hnia

The real definition of ALMA MATTERS

Does anybody really care the meaning of this song. I mean come on it has to be one of the worst morrissey songs ever. Listen to it it is terrible

> That's how I interpret the song as well.

> hnia

I always thought of it as a slight pervesion of Alma Mater. Which considering the lyrics is rather apt in a tongue in cheek kind of way!

something (but not much) out of nothing

i have a theory, too...
it's just a crap song, one of the worst things he's ever done, with a pathetic attempt at wordplay for a title (slightly more amusing than his other most-pathetic attempt, "roy's keen").

it's best never-listened-to. and yet he shuns the by-comparison "kill uncle" material to play crap like that? silly old man, indeed.

Re: The real definition of ALMA MATTERS

> Does anybody really care the meaning of this song. I mean come
> on it has to be one of the worst morrissey songs ever. Listen to
> it it is terrible

I almost semi-agree with you. I really don't care much for this song. (Only in relation to other Morrissey songs, though.) But I don't think it's the worst Morrissey song ever. That honor must definitely belong to "Dagenham Dave". I also think "He Cried" really sucks.

Re: Alma Matters

> All in jest, my friend, all in jest...

> The evidence is overwhelming. She knows, I have no doubt.

but, shhhhh let's keep it a secret in case she finds out with 100% certainty. it might be bad.

where i live

Dagenham Dave

> I almost semi-agree with you. I really don't care much for this
> song. (Only in relation to other Morrissey songs, though.) But I
> don't think it's the worst Morrissey song ever. That honor must
> definitely belong to "Dagenham Dave". I also think
> "He Cried" really sucks.

That is what I intend to call my Cortina, It helps to give cars names so that when they aren't working right you can yell at the car or plead with it.

cat.gif

Re: Dagenham Dave, post script on that

> That is what I intend to call my Cortina, It helps to give cars
> names so that when they aren't working right you can yell at the
> car or plead with it.

The Cortina also happens to have been built in Dagenham, I didn't actually mind that song last time I heard it eventhough it was quite simple, mind you the last time I heard "Dagenham Dave" I was about 16 & I'm 21 now so I don't know if I'd still like the song if I ever heard it again.

cat.gif

Re: Dagenham Dave

> That is what I intend to call my Cortina, It helps to give cars
> names so that when they aren't working right you can yell at the
> car or plead with it.

Ha Ha Yes!! Like Basil Fawlty! You can give the car a jolly good thrashing AND have the pleasure of informing it you are doing so at the same time!

HE,HE...

Re: The real definition of ALMA MATTERS

Now He Cried is alful. That is another blasted Malajusted hack songs. But Dave isnt that bad to be one of the worst songs he has ever done. I listen to dagenham dave more than I listen to Hold on to your friends

I really like this theory. I think that one should do anything he or she likes to give meaning to a song. On the other hand I don't thing this interpretation would be mine. It's the same thing to say that "Speedway" should be "Weed pays" (which is true!).

> I really like this theory. I think that one should do anything
> he or she likes to give meaning to a song. On the other hand I
> don't thing this interpretation would be mine. It's the same
> thing to say that "Speedway" should be "Weed
> pays" (which is true!).

Thank you. Hey, I think if you are going to buy into the fact that Moz predicted Diana's death, then why can't he have song titles as anagrams? I haven't listened to any of his songs backward yet but it may be worth a shot...

Re: something (but not much) out of nothing

> i have a theory, too...
> it's just a crap song, one of the worst things he's ever done,
> with a pathetic attempt at wordplay for a title (slightly more
> amusing than his other most-pathetic attempt, "roy's
> keen").

> it's best never-listened-to. and yet he shuns the by-comparison
> "kill uncle" material to play crap like that? silly
> old man, indeed.

Yes it makes the song 'King Leer' from Kill Uncle seem like a real masterpiece when comes to puns and word play!