All You Need is Me enters No.24 in the chart

How many copies did he shift and how may did the No.1 sell?

They only had it in one of the three big record shops on Oxford Street!

It sold a measly 6184 copies, and is thus indeed his worst selling single of the decade... Available for a week or not.

From Music Week:

Mint Royale reign at top of singles chart
Monday June 9, 2008

By Alan Jones

Seventy-nine years after it was written, and three years after it was released, Mint Royale’s version of Singin’ In The Rain rockets to number one. Its success, in the wake of its use in a breakdancing routine by 14-yea- old George Sampson to win the second series of ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent, far exceeds its original 2005 chart peak of 20.

It sold 45,987 copies last week – more than the 26,167 it sold between its original release and its re-emergence last week. Sharp-eyed readers will notice that it has changed label affiliation from original label Direction last week to Simon Cowell’s Syco Music imprint. It is Syco’s sixth number one, following Stevce Brookstein’s Against All Odds, That’s My Goal by Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis’ A Moment Like This and Bleeding Love, and Leon Jackson’s When You Believe.

To accommodate Singin’ In The Rain’s leap, last week’s top three all move down a notch. Rihanna’s Take A Bow slips 1-2 on sales of 28,836; That’s Not My Name by The Ting Tings ebbs 2-3 (23,035 sales); and Duffy’s Warwick Avenue retreats 3-4 (18,906 sales).

Take A Bow surrenders its lead at the top of the chart but Rihanna scores her 11th and 12th chart hits in a career of less than three years, debuting at number 29 with Maroon 5 collaboration If I Never See Your Face Again (4,975 sales) and at number 42 with Disturbia (2,922 sales). All three tracks are supplements to Rihanna’s current album, Good Girl Gone Bad, which benefits enormously from their addition, rocketing 59-12 on sales of 15,042. She now has five singles from the album in the Top 75, with Don’t Stop The Music holding at number 50 (2,707 sales), and Umbrella easing 74-75 (1,810 sales). Altogether, Good Girl Gone Bad has now spawned seven hit tracks, and has sold 783,715 copies.

With its physical release still a week away, Chris Brown’s Forever vaults 17-11 (13,791 sales). It is Brown’s second straight Top 15 hit, arriving 10 weeks after With You reached number eight. It is from the new Forever Edition of Brown’s latest album Exclusive, which is released 23 June. The original version of Exclusive spawned With You and the more minor hits Wall To Wall (number 75) and, with T-Pain, Kiss Kiss (number 38), neither of which had a physical release. Stocks of the original Exclusive are falling fast, hence the album’s 36-56-87 slide in the last fortnight.

Morrissey is out of his teens. After four straight singles peaked between 14 and 17, his latest, All You Need Is Me, has to settle for a number 24 debut on sales of 6,184. As said sales include downloads, CDs and two seven-inch releases, it is likely to climb no further and will thus become his lowest-charting hit since 1998, when Satan Rejected My Soul crashed at number 39. All You Need Is Me is Morrissey’s 47th Top 40 hit in total, his 31st solo, and appears on his current Greatest Hits set.

German techno band Scooter’s latest single, Jumping All Over the World, climbs 47-36 on sales of 4,156 downloads, to become their first Top 40 hit since 2003. Based around a sample from Sailor’s 1976 number two hit Glass Of Champagne, it is the second single and title track from their chart-topping album, and easily beats the number 49 peak of its immediate predecessor, The Question Is, What is The Question.

Continuing at number two on the airplay chart, Californian singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles’ debut single, Love Song, enjoys a big leap in sales to jump into the Top 10. Moving 52-30-23-16-15-6 since its chart debut, Love Song sold 17,202 copies last week, a 69.6% increase over the prior frame.

Rockstar is now Mickelback’s biggest-selling single, with its to-date tally of 456,711 beating their previous best of 423,104 set by How You Remind Me. Rockstar dips 31-33 on its 34th week in the chart while Photograph, another three-year-old cut from the Canadian band’s All The Right Reasons album, improves 85-52, as it attracts considerable airplay. Photograph originally peaked at number 29 in 2005, and has sold 39,714 copies, including 2,681 last week.

While Radiohead’s Best Of set secures a top-five berth in the albums chart, their back catalogue was suddenly made available on iTunes last week. Of 217 selections available, six sold enough copies to make the Top 200, with Creep selling 3,956 copies to return to the Top 40 at number 37, after an absence of nearly 15 years.

Continuing at number two on the airplay chart, Californian singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles’ debut single, Love Song, enjoys a big leap in sales to jump into the Top 10. Moving 52-30-23-16-15-6 since its chart debut, Love Song sold 17,202 copies last week, a 69.6% increase over the prior frame.

i cant f***ing stand that song. i only know it cuz its on a commercial.

Rockstar is now Mickelback’s biggest-selling single, with its to-date tally of 456,711 beating their previous best of 423,104 set by How You Remind Me. Rockstar dips 31-33 on its 34th week in the chart while Photograph, another three-year-old cut from the Canadian band’s All The Right Reasons album, improves 85-52, as it attracts considerable airplay. Photograph originally peaked at number 29 in 2005, and has sold 39,714 copies, including 2,681 last week.

hahaa, Mickelback?

Mickelback, Nickelback, Schmickelback, i f***ing hate that band too.

( will thus become his lowest-charting hit since 1998, when Satan Rejected My Soul crashed at number 39. All You Need Is Me is Morrissey’s 47th Top 40 hit in total, his 31st solo, and appears on his current Greatest Hits set.)

Satan Rejected my Soul is much better than all you need is me. I am not overly excited by this or Squeezing my skull.

Re: "All You Need Is Me"-the airplay and chart predictions thread!

Yes, it did. The exact rules are quite complicated but as a rough summary, the record company elects up to three specified formats to count towards a chart placing, and 7" singles can count as a specified format.

If that's the case, then Decca's marketing department should be summarily fired. Why the *f**** would one count 7" vinyl singles instead of making the song, and accompanying b-sides, available for download? It is the year 2008. Hello Decca... Hello.. :confused:

It would have been really good if I could have found it in stock in Hull! I checked in both HMV and Zavvi and WH Smith for 3 days running - nothing. This has to be the worst marketing by a record label. Release it on a largely defunct media, and what's more, for 1 week.

It would have been really good if I could have found it in stock in Hull! I checked in both HMV and Zavvi and WH Smith for 3 days running - nothing. This has to be the worst marketing by a record label. Release it on a largely defunct media, and what's more, for 1 week.

Mal, you should send a PM to Steph (aka Sphinx).
She has a spare set. ;)

lets face it , it wasnt well promoted , it was delayed , it wasnt listed on the radio , the video was no where , it wasn't advertised or promoted in the press . even we hardly knew if it was out or not

the record company shipped it late , there wasnt enough stock on the inital run

is anyone surprised , if i was morrissey i would be getting Decca to f*** as the clearly dont have the ability to drive him forward

Decca sabotaged this release with their witless desire to cling to a dead format without releasing all tracks on the CDs or download, forcing mad keen fans to get them elsewhere. Some of us did mention it as I recall, and got attacked for it from certain imecilic quarters.

Morrissey? Are you reading this, and more to the point are you going to let them **** it up next time? Mafeking was relieved, but eventually we lost the Empire, and even vinyl was replaced.

Get a grip for Christ's sake. Number 24? Learn the painful lesson that has been meted out. If you want to release vinyl then by all means do, but make sure all the rest of the tracks can be bought too, eh?

Last edited:
lets face it , it wasnt well promoted , it was delayed , it wasnt listed on the radio , the video was no where , it wasn't advertised or promoted in the press . even we hardly knew if it was out or not

the record company shipped it late , there wasnt enough stock on the inital run

is anyone surprised , if i was morrissey i would be getting Decca to f*** as the clearly dont have the ability to drive him forward

It also wasn't as good a single as, say, "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get", "First of the Gang to Die", or "Everyday Is Like Sunday". It was never gonna set the world on fire.

I take some pleasure from the "All You Need Is Me" scheme to get it high in the charts (releasing it for one week only with the songs spread over multi-formats/versions) being a failure. Maybe Morrissey should chill on the marketing schemes and focus on the strength of the songs. And don't make it so difficult to purchase the music. I'm sick of jumping through hoops to get the music. I hate to break it to Morrissey, but ever-fewer of his fans are teenagers and we don't have time to keep up on what song is on what version of what single to be released for what limited time. f*** all that shit.

None of which is to say "All You Need Is Me" is a bad song. I dug it the first time I heard it (performed on a talk show), and I still kind of like it now (though it gets old quick). Would've been better placed as a b-side though.

If that's the case, then Decca's marketing department should be summarily fired. Why the *f**** would one count 7" vinyl singles instead of making the song, and accompanying b-sides, available for download? It is the year 2008. Hello Decca... Hello.. :confused:

Actually the situation is even worse than that.

Re: my post about elected formats above, yes the record company can have up to three formats count towards chart placing. But that's three PHYSICAL formats.

Each physical format can have a corresponding digital format that counts, as well!

So you can have your 7" format and its digital equivalent on itunes doesn't count as a further format.. so you don't lose anything, he could still have had the two 7"s (though, as others have remarked, at least 2 CD formats would have been better).

Finally, chart rules ALSO allow the video to count as a format, I for one downloaded the That's How People Grow Up video onto my ipod and have enjoyed watching it occasionally very much indeed! I certainly would have done the same with All You Need Is Me (despite the objections, the video has its charm!!). Another f***up.

Margins are SO small between 20 and 24 (varies week to week but we're talking hundreds as opposed to thousands usually) that I'm fully confident this amateur approach to the digital domain cost Moz a top 20 hit.

It also wasn't as good a single as, say, "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get", "First of the Gang to Die", or "Everyday Is Like Sunday". It was never gonna set the world on fire.

I take some pleasure from the "All You Need Is Me" scheme to get it high in the charts (releasing it for one week only with the songs spread over multi-formats/versions) being a failure. Maybe Morrissey should chill on the marketing schemes and focus on the strength of the songs. And don't make it so difficult to purchase the music. I'm sick of jumping through hoops to get the music. I hate to break it to Morrissey, but ever-fewer of his fans are teenagers and we don't have time to keep up on what song is on what version of what single to be released for what limited time. f*** all that shit.

None of which is to say "All You Need Is Me" is a bad song. I dug it the first time I heard it (performed on a talk show), and I still kind of like it now (though it gets old quick). Would've been better placed as a b-side though.

fair point , mind you i dont think its a bad A side as a fan , but dont think its accessable to a non fan

Actually the situation is even worse than that.

Re: my post about elected formats above, yes the record company can have up to three formats count towards chart placing. But that's three PHYSICAL formats.

Each physical format can have a corresponding digital format that counts, as well!

So you can have your 7" format and its digital equivalent on itunes doesn't count as a further format.. so you don't lose anything, he could still have had the two 7"s (though, as others have remarked, at least 2 CD formats would have been better).

Finally, chart rules ALSO allow the video to count as a format, I for one downloaded the That's How People Grow Up video onto my ipod and have enjoyed watching it occasionally very much indeed! I certainly would have done the same with All You Need Is Me (despite the objections, the video has its charm!!). Another f***up.

Margins are SO small between 20 and 24 (varies week to week but we're talking hundreds as opposed to thousands usually) that I'm fully confident this amateur approach to the digital domain cost Moz a top 20 hit.

Thank you for the information. One wonders what precisely the problem is? When Moz worked with Merck at Sanctuary, they were able to orchestrate a successful comeback and many Top Ten hits. It seems after Sanctuary went bust the marketing of Morrissey's material has been plain awful. I wonder if Moz fired Merck because of this? At present, there does not seem to be a strategy to market him successfully.

One hopes his new manager can bring some sanity back. As you outlined, this isn't rocket science: release the music to the masses in the format most popular at the time: digital downloads and CD's. Vinyl has a niche appeal among audiophiles, but why would a marketing representative ever think it would boost not hurt sales (offering vinyl rather than digital downloads)? I'm worried Morrissey is going to be lost on a big label with little interest in doing more than the bare minimum to promote his music. Sanctuary, and the Attack label, was a perfect fit for Moz at this stage in his career. I'm sad to see it go.

Decca sabotaged this release with their witless desire to cling to a dead format without releasing all tracks on the CDs or download, forcing mad keen fans to get them elsewhere. Some of us did mention it as I recall, and got attacked for it from certain imecilic quarters.

Morrissey? Are you reading this, and more to the point are you going to let them **** it up next time? Mafeking was relieved, but eventually we lost the Empire, and even vinyl was replaced.

Get a grip for Christ's sake. Number 24? Learn the painful lesson that has been meted out. If you want to release vinyl then by all means do, but make sure all the rest of the tracks can be bought too, eh?

Agreed. What makes this all the more ironic, is that during the seven year drought between "Maladjusted" and "YATQ," Morrissey refused to release new music directly to his fans via digital downloads, etc. when he was without a label. His reason being he didn't want to release to a niche market, rather continue to be a pop star. Consequently, he waited for a record deal to come along and as history has shown Mozzer made a smashing comeback. I wonder now about the logic of releasing material exclusively on vinyl, which is destined to be purchased by hard core Morrissey fans who don't mind buying vinyl. Is this not the same as releasing to a niche audience?:confused:

Tags
chart morrissey new single
Back
Top Bottom