All You Need is Me enters No.24 in the chart

Agreed. What makes this all the more ironic, is that during the seven year drought between "Maladjusted" and "YATQ," Morrissey refused to release new music directly to his fans via digital downloads, etc. when he was without a label. His reason being he didn't want to release to a niche market, rather continue to be a pop star. Consequently, he waited for a record deal to come along and as history has shown Mozzer made a smashing comeback. I wonder now about the logic of releasing material exclusively on vinyl, which is destined to be purchased by hard core Morrissey fans who don't mind buying vinyl. Is this not the same as releasing to a niche audience?:confused:

Maybe it's Manchester thing. Ian Brown's singles last year were released in almost the exact same way: CD single + 2 7"s, one of which was limited, and all of which had unique b-sides. I'm sure there are many others, and I confess to knowing nothing about Ian Brown's stature in the music world over there (niche vs. pop star, etc.) I just wanted the singles because of whom he was collaborating with ;)

Maybe it's Manchester thing. Ian Brown's singles last year were released in almost the exact same way: CD single + 2 7"s, one of which was limited, and all of which had unique b-sides. I'm sure there are many others, and I confess to knowing nothing about Ian Brown's stature in the music world over there (niche vs. pop star, etc.) I just wanted the singles because of whom he was collaborating with ;)

At least Ian Brown had his singles up for legal download at the same time as he was doing that...

I think it's a brilliant punky tune, I think I do prefer it live though, polished punky song hmmn? I think he ought to have released it as a double A with a live version on 1 side & a studio version on the other?

***note to Morrissey, please take note***

love

Grim

I feel his albums are a much better gauge of his success.

Studio albums
Viva Hate (1988) - #1 UK
Kill Uncle (1991) - #8 UK
Your Arsenal (1992) - #4 UK
Vauxhall and I (1994) - #1 UK
Southpaw Grammar (1995) - #4 UK
Maladjusted (1997) - #8 UK
You Are the Quarry (2004) - #2 UK
Ringleader of the Tormentors (2006) - #1 UK

B-sides compilations
Bona Drag (1990) - #9 UK
World of Morrissey (1995) - #15 UK

Greatest Hits (2008) - #5 UK

Live albums
Beethoven Was Deaf (1993) - #13 UK
Live at Earls Court (2005) - #18 UK

Besides that it's still done better than many of the most popular of his songs.

"This Charming Man" (1983), UK #25
"Shakespeare's Sister" (1985), UK #26
"Bigmouth Strikes Again" (1986), UK #26
"Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" (1987), UK #30
"There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" (1992), UK #25?????????

And that was back when most people still bought singles.

While realising that even posting to this thread is a grim parody of the lyrics, it's surely a critical factor in appreciating Morrissey to have regular episodes where we can lament what might have been. Having something going slightly wrong regularly is something we secretly cherish about holding the old feller dear to our hearts.

I suspect MDL will be on the deluxe version of YOR issued about December 2008 for that ideal Xmas present anyway.

If I knew how to do it, a poll might be interesting , to ask where we think the single would have reached in the charts if MDL had been the A side, AYNIM and CIP were the b's , and they'd both been available for download. I may be wrong, and i don't understand the chart rules, but i'm in the camp that says it's his strongest for years.

By the way, i note from the notes that Morrissey holds the publishing and copyright, and licenses it to Decca. Is that a new arrangement ? i can't remember seeing it before., but maybe i've not been paying attention. Tends to suggest to me that Morrissey at least would have been quite involved deciding what went out and the formats.

By the way, i note from the notes that Morrissey holds the publishing and copyright, and licenses it to Decca. Is that a new arrangement ? i can't remember seeing it before., but maybe i've not been paying attention. Tends to suggest to me that Morrissey at least would have been quite involved deciding what went out and the formats.

My thoughts exactly. There was a brief discussion about Morrissey holding the rights, but I can't remember where--it was buried in some other thread. (Kewpie, do you know where?)

I feel his albums are a much better gauge of his success.

Studio albums
Viva Hate (1988) - #1 UK
Kill Uncle (1991) - #8 UK
Your Arsenal (1992) - #4 UK
Vauxhall and I (1994) - #1 UK
Southpaw Grammar (1995) - #4 UK
Maladjusted (1997) - #8 UK
You Are the Quarry (2004) - #2 UK
Ringleader of the Tormentors (2006) - #1 UK

B-sides compilations
Bona Drag (1990) - #9 UK
World of Morrissey (1995) - #15 UK

Greatest Hits (2008) - #5 UK

Live albums
Beethoven Was Deaf (1993) - #13 UK
Live at Earls Court (2005) - #18 UK

Charts differ. It's too hard to compare "This Charming Man" to his recent singles. Surely no one would say "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" is better than "Bigmouth Strikes Again" anyway.

Also, in the case of ROTT for example, its #1 spot is misleading because it subsequently became the fastest-ever #1 to exit the Top 100. "Quarry", which only hit #2, sold in much greater quantities.

I tried to buy All You Need Is Me today...but all I could do was put down a $5 deposit & maybe get a copy sent by boat in a months time. But I could buy the new cure single for $3.99. So I did.

I am sure that This Charming Man, despite his # 25 ranking, sold more than Irish Blood, English Heart for instance, which charted # 2

I've yet to find a copy in all of Norfolk...what does that say to you about the marketing?

I'm afraid he's never going to chart well again.I've not heard it on any stations and its just not tuneful enough.Its hard indie fodder and I'm not talking all the crappy indie stuff about.

But what do we want?him to go all mainstream and get a hit or stay true to himself and us?

Look at Paul Weller...he is not everyones cup of tea but his album got to number one because of the right marketing.

Tags
chart morrissey new single
Back
Top Bottom