All New Misheard Lyrics

I always heard "Typical me, typical me, typical me" as "To the bully, to the bully, to the bully".

My all-time favourite mishearings:

Paul McCartney mentioned he met a woman who thought the "kaleidoscope eyes" line in 'Lucy in the Sky' was "The girl with colitis goes by".

And not a mis-hearing per se, but it still made me laugh lots... Gene used to joke that the end of 'Speak to me Someone', the singer didn't say "I'm ho-home again", but in fact "I'm Hoho McGann", presumably a lost McGann brother.

Poor old Hoho.

And I still can't help but giggle in a very infantile manner at the thought of "darkened underpants" in 'Still Ill' :D:D:D

to my amusement, a very good friend of mine once thought 'I want the one I can't have' was about streetsleepers:

'a duffel bag, and a star eyed lover for sure..'

Funnily enough, that's what the subtitles say in the video version.

from Peepholism,
"The line "there are some bad people on the rise" was changed in the video to "There are some bad people on the right", not, as rumoured, amended on the single to avoid controversy (persih the thought). Morrissey wanted it changed for a scene in which a schoolboy in stiletto heels (a reference to the New York Dolls) scrawls the line on a toilet wall.
"The bad people on the rise are the willing students of (Norman) Tebbitt, he explains aptiently. "I changed the wording from 'rise' to 'right' in the video because it's my video and I am nearly thirty years old."

It also took me a while to realize that Moz was singing "No te diviertes con Papi" and not "no, dad, the belt has come, pappy!" in the last line of Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice. :D

Wow, it's so nice to see this thread revived from August~
Your responses are just hilarious!
Another foolish one:
Took me a long while to figure out the Meths on their breaths lyric from Sister I'm a Poet.
Always thought it was with Meds on their breaths like medications with an aftertaste or something like that.
That silly Morrissey always making me have to learn something cool like meths are really inexpensive methylated spirits that impoverished people sometimes desperately drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirit

Last edited:
always thought it was "Hank the D.J." rather than "hang"

"Hank the blessed D.J., because the music is obviously plain"
...was what I used to sing all the time, I must have sounded such a fool.

Love PTxx.

Of course the silliest comes from How Soon is Now? But it kind of makes sense...
I am the sun and the air
instead of
I am the son and the heir

That silly Morrissey always making me have to learn something cool like meths are really inexpensive methylated spirits that impoverished people sometimes desperately drink.

ah. i didn't hear the line wrong, but i thought he meant menthol cigarettes

^ :D

"Punch a bicycle on a hillside, yes, ole!"

I just love this. I have the most wonderful visual of young Moz punching a bike. ha!

for years i was convinced that the line in interesting drug was "a young married couple in their tethered felt hats."

Hehe. That's pretty good.

I had an early test pressing of Southpaw Grammar with no tracklisting, and was big on the tune, Rita Meet Arthur.

:)

meths are really inexpensive methylated spirits that impoverished people sometimes desperately drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirit

So, he's not singing about crystal meth (a plastic bag...)? Interesting.

I've misheard so many lines, it's sad. Some weren't too far off. From A Rush and a Push, I heard "so prized, to still be on my own" instead of surprised.

From I Want the One I Can't Have:
"raised on prisoner's bait" instead of Aid.

But on Interesting Drug:
"Oh my mounted! Ones who will always love lalalalala interesting drugs," instead of Oh mum, Oh dad. Once poor, always poor...

That's enough shame for now. :o

Piccadilly Palare
Cause in a Baltic cult/I secretly knew that I hadn't a clue

instead of

Cause in a belted coat/I secretly knew that I hadn't a clue

Panic
Humdee, dumdee, Homocide

instead of

Dublin, Dundee, Humberside

:D
It also appear you misquoted "Why Dont You Find Out For Yourself".

Its Don't rake up my mistakes.......

As opposed to Dont rate my mistakes.....​

'The Boy Racer' used to confuse me when it was first released. I couldn't figure out what he was saying in the lines "he thinks he got the whole world in his hands, stood at the urinal". The best I could come up with was "stood at the door, I know".

Another lyric I had wrong on Southpaw Grammar was in 'Southpaw':
"And you went back to Mars,
Which set the pace for the rest of your days"
which never really made a whole lot of sense to me, but of course I still sung it at the top of my lungs. :o:p

Tags
clean ur ears funny haunted bicycle lyrics
Back
Top Bottom