Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode - Recoil) desires Morrissey for a Recoil track

An article from the Quietus asking Wilder about his 13 favourite records, and how they shaped his work in post-Depeche Mode project Recoil

Alan Wilder Of Recoil & Depeche Mode's 13 Favourite LPs - The Quietus

Excerpt:

Wilder’s reasons for his choice of Morrissey's You Are The Quarry are also interesting – he's not a fan of Steven Patrick's music, but says he feels as a lyricist he'll only be regarded after he's gone. And, indeed, he’d love to get him onboard for a Recoil track.

...Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
Steven Morrissey is simply one of our most underrated writers or poets who, I believe, will only be fully recognised posthumously. Morrissey has quite a lot of detractors, even now. There's plenty of admirers out there, of course, but he's a love-to-hate character. He rubs people up the wrong way occasionally, and those things tend to overlook what he's most brilliant at, which is his words. I'm no expert on poetry and lyrics – it's not the first thing I normally come at a record from – but with him, there's something completely unique about the way he writes. He's very evocative, and I just love that, and I think he's got a good voice, too.

I wouldn't say his records are particularly that interesting musically; in a way, it's the odd one out of my collection. It's just a general rock band, and sometimes not particularly well produced and not all that inspiring. There's not a great depth of sound or unusual production techniques, but somehow he transcends all that because he's so unusual with his melodies and his words. I'd be very curious to hear what he would sound like with a more interesting musical background – not necessarily electronics, but something with more depth to it. There have been one or two tracks over the years like that, where I've thought 'It's great to hear a little more invention, using different strings or sounds or musicians'. I'd love to hear more of that him from him, because I think it would take his records to another level. Would I be tempted to ask him to work together? I think I'd be a bit scared, but I wouldn't say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful album Quarry is. I throw my head back and laugh sneeringly when I am told Refusal or Ringleader are better.

The delicious YATQ will one day take its rightful position alongside Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I as his greatest solo efforts.

The delicious YATQ will one day take its rightful position alongside Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I as his greatest solo efforts.

me thinks not. quarry has 90's overproduced stench all over it. guitars are rather dull on some songs too, which is odd considering most of his recordings

I'd also like to hear Morrissey do a technology based record - as my own tastes in music were formed from the great synthesizer groups of the 80s - but there is next to zero chance of it happening. Morrissey has always gone out the way to say he disliked the music of the 1980s, and Bernard Sumner implied Morrissey prevented Johnny Marr experimenting with synths / technology on The Smiths records. Having said that, it's surprising the amount synths and samplers which can be heard used Morrissey records, right from Viva Hate to Years of Refusal - I know everybody uses them now to some degree.

I'm not sure Alan Wilder would be the right man for the job; only Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion stands out as a well produced albums in his time with Depeche Mode. I'd prefer Pet Shop Boys to produce Morrissey, if he went in that direction (which he won't)...

me thinks not. quarry has 90's overproduced stench all over it. guitars are rather dull on some songs too, which is odd considering most of his recordings

An album full of gorgeous songs. He's not bettered it since.

An album full of gorgeous songs. He's not bettered it since.

whats not gorgeous with: .. a work of art, dear god.., i'll never be, it's not your birthday.., you were good..?

quarry's softer songs come off a tad bland: camden, i'm not sorry, america, crashing bores

over all i enjoy the album, but he has far more interesting records. it's better than maladjusted song wise, but thats not saying very much is it

Ah excuse me Wilder but Morrissey is fully recognized now as a great, if not the greatest lyricist of our time right now by a group known as his "huge f***ing loyal fan base" that has been growing steadily in numbers since the death of the Smiths. Where have you been? Wait now I remember, this is coming from a has been band from the 80's that made the very strain of music the Smiths abhorred.

yeah hearing M doing something interesting and different musically would be great. esp. with Wilder and Flood.

Imagine Him using some more of that stunning vocal range (i.e. a lot of the vocals and pitch range he did on Queen is Dead, Pretty Girls and Miserable lie etc). wow that would be something

Go on do it!

yeah hearing M doing something interesting and different musically would be great. esp. with Wilder and Flood.

Imagine Him using some more of that stunning vocal range (i.e. a lot of the vocals and pitch range he did on Queen is Dead, Pretty Girls and Miserable lie etc). wow that would be something

Go on do it!

Oh yeah because we've all been really short changed on depth and quality listening to Morrissey all these years haven't we? What we've been waiting for is someone from Douche Mode to show us how it should really sound. Come off it!

For the idiots who keep attacking Depeche Mode, note Wilder was never a founder member and left the sixteen years ago.

I think a collaboration between Alan Wilder and Morrissey would be fantastic. Morrissey has needed a change in musical direction for a while now because his last two albums were quite frankly awful. Electro would be a way to go. Leonard Cohen did it with I’m Your Man and it’s an outstanding album.

For detractors of Alan Wilder – he was the driving force behind three albums that stand up against anything The Smiths did. Do people on this forum think that Violator is a worse album than the Queen is Dead? If you haven’t heard it, I suggest you give it a listen because it’s beautiful.

I am a huge Smiths/Morrissey fan by the way and have got my tickets for Middlesbrough Town Hall but the legacy that Depeche Mode have left on British music should be acknowledged.

This wilder bloke reminds me of johnny. This would be like a breathe of fresh air , I think we are all getting fed up of the tobias rock anthems....he is poor , shocking , in fact the whole band is. It wouldn't surprise me if m doesn't get a record deal. The last three albums have been shiockers apart from or two tracks.

Wilder/flood/moz/Reilly ........ Would be a dream of a band.

For the idiots who keep attacking Depeche Mode, note Wilder was never a founder member and left the sixteen years ago.
You're the idiot. Alan Wilder joined in 82' and left in 95. 13 YEARS of involvement with the band's career rise and peak. DM is a great underrated band. You seem like one of those Alan fanboys who downplay DM in every possible manner. DM was a combination of Gore's brilliant songwriting, Wilder's musical and inventive production skills, Gahan's great talent as a singer and entertainer (and Fletcher's management capabilities). I appreciate Wilder very much. However, his best work was with DM.

For the elitists here, outside of your little bubble The Smiths & Morrissey are regarded in the same "80's band" bracket DM is. Only in the UK Morrissey is regarded in a ridiculous "GOD" status by the know-it-all British media and posers.

Oh yeah because we've all been really short changed on depth and quality listening to Morrissey all these years haven't we? What we've been waiting for is someone from Douche Mode to show us how it should really sound. Come off it!

Don't be silly, A.Wilder is no longer in DM,!Hasn't been for years! and If you have ears you'd recognize the quality of their productuio/Music. They have influence dozens and dozens of bands!!

I'd quite like to see Moz do some stuff with Slash as well. Maybe bring Gore and Wilder from DM together with Morrissey and Slash? It would be interesting if nothing else. I always think artists like Morrissey work best when they're a bit out of their comfort zone. Bring it on!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom