Alain's recollections of "Our Frank"

UPDATE July 31: From Alain's Facebook:

6 months before I joined Morrissey I would see the poster for Our Frank everywhere. I walked in a pub or in a restaurant I would hear Suedehead. Turn on the radio Our Frank. I loved this song mainly because of the outro lyrics. Somebody please stop me from thinking all the time. I went to a careers office they asked me what I wanted to be. I said I want to be a rock star, well of course the guy said I can't help with that i.e. dream on pal. Quite rightly so. I was tired of dead end hard working jobs. All the careers opportunities office could help me with is cleaning up Wembley Stadium. I was depressed out of my mind. I couldn't drink my pain or drug my pain away thankfully I'm not like that. I wished I didn't think so deeply but I do and that song epitomized exactly how I felt about life. Why can't I be shallow. I went for a walk in a really off the beaten park, on the ground below me someone had written out Morrissey set in concrete. It was crazy it was like an omen for what was ahead. Now back to this video. I never saw this as I don't think it ever got released and I'm glad because these type of Skinheads were really bad news back in the late 80's. in fact I don't like this video because of the skinheads in it. The amount of times I had to run for having a quiff from 5 or 6 skinheads was comical. In the 80's in London it was tribal and rough. You have no idea. My friend and I would be walking along Finchley Rd, a bus full of Everton supporters started flipping us off whilst driving past us so of course we flipped them back. Well the bus parked and out came running 50 mob of football hooligans wanting to kill us and boy did we run lol. Anyway I love the lyrical couplet in this song Our Frank you're frankly vulgar in the red pullover, such a fantastic sound a like lyrical couplet. It's a shame we, Gaz,Boz,Spen and I never got a chance to work with Clive Langer or Stephen Street. I thought Stephen did a marvelous job with Morrissey and The Smiths. Our Frank is a brilliant tune and song and lyrically it really spoke volumes to me and at that time, too many Universal things were pointing me towards Morrissey, so that is why it's my favorite song. I also used to love playing this live even though we would execute it better now. Somebody please stop me from thinking all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly song, sillier lyric. No idea why anyone would attempt to rehabilitate this dreck. It sucked then, sounds even worse now. The whole 'let's pretend to be Madness' crap of nabbing their producers just fell flat on it's face. Alain Whyte is a very gifted musician and composer. It's a shame Morrissey didn't realise he'd hit the jackpot again....but never mind. Alain went on to play banjo on a Madonna track, that's certainly something to tell the grand-kids about. Doubt he ever met her but it's still something to put on your musical C.V: "played banjo on Madonna track". There's something slightly worrying about the ending line: "Somebody please stop me from thinking all the time." I hope he's ok and this is just a sad reverie about what might have been if Morrissey hadn't been a total bell end workaholic tour-junkie who seems to have driven this chap to exhaustion. It's both sad and amusing to think of all the hours Morrissey's spent in tour buses in Idaho and Dakota trying to 'crack America' and it never happened. Now he's been run out of Rome for being a tosser and his next album already is in car-crash mode before it's even released. Hope he plays some shows and has various fake health freak-outs. He's very good with the poison pen so one can only hope he gets dealt another poison penne at his album launch party. When is that, exactly? I'm kind of bored checking in her every week or so expecting Drama about his new songs. Where's the leaks? Why aren't there any demos to mock? Maybe it's been handled 'professionally' after the Rome Fake Police Harassment nonsense threatened the investment of whatever capitalist is backing this project. Maybe Morrissey is having to put his own money on the line this time. That would be great fun. Flop!

'Kill Uncle'?...........ROFLOL!

best
BB

Yes, he seems to speak quite fondly about his early years in the band. Too bad we never hear his thoughts on some of his later-day Moz stuff like Quarry, etc.

From bits I've read before, I don't think Alain was ever that happy that 'the lads' line-up got split up, so I'm guessing that initial touring group holds most of his fondest memories.

But why on earth would he do that now? He's just recorded an album full of songs written by his current band. Why we would he invite an old guitarist/songwriter back to tour a brand new album featuring no Alain Whyte songs? Would be bonkers. Would only make sense if the Boz runour was true.
That would be just like Morrissey to ditch the band that made the record and have Alain back.

Hey Al,

I got your e mail from Spence at the Realtors convention in Vegas last week. Dude, I've got a bitchin two bedroom in Chatsworth...guess what?! Right below Steve Jone's apartment. You bros can jam all day! The best part is your are only 30 minutes from Steve's house (without LA traffic). Hit me back if interested. Rock on!

Kyson Von Magillicutty
Realtors to the Stars (a division of TMMG ltd)
Los Angeles-Tustin-El Segundo

"Autobiography" hardly makes him out to be a nice person, at best.

I thought the treatment that Alain got in Autobiography was downright rude. Of course I don't know the bloke, but going off accounts from others who have met him, not to mention his own words, he seems like a decent enough bloke. He has also, for better or worse, co-written a number of Morrissey's better known singles. You can play games of "what if" had M worked with a different band/guitarist from 91 to 04, but he didn't, he had Al (and Boz) and they were accomplished and very good songwriters. To tell patronising and frankly insulting tales like M did in his book was just pathetic.

I seem to recall him being incredible generous with his praise in his book about his then-band members. I bet Solomon wouldn't get such praise if the book had to be re-written today.

I'm sure I'll get the "it's Morrissey and no one else matters" brigade, and that's fine, but it's just another example on a long conveyer belt of those unfairly treated by SPM.

Alain has written more songs for Steve Morrissey than anyone else (including Marr), so it's not just a question of him having written some good singles. However, he also wrote tons of rubbish e.g. most of the plodding chug rock on Southpaw, Maladjusted and Ringleader. This includes the career lows of Dagenham Dave, Roy's Keen, Father must be killed, Best friend on payroll, On the streets I ran etc.

Alain has written more songs for Steve Morrissey than anyone else (including Marr), so it's not just a question of him having written some good singles. However, he also wrote tons of rubbish e.g. most of the plodding chug rock on Southpaw, Maladjusted and Ringleader. This includes the career lows of Dagenham Dave, Roy's Keen, Father must be killed, Best friend on payroll, On the streets I ran etc.

Yea, you've already told us once, further up the thread. Morrissey, could have, knocked that "rubbish" back, had he agreed with you.

Word for word what I was thinking. I don't mind the current live band but you need Alain or someone equally takented to raise the songwriting bar. Forces the other dudes to try harder.

I think Boz' songwriting has stagnated without Al around - maybe the jealousy kept him sharper.

Still, bring on the new batch!

I think King Leer meant give Alain a call for future work. I agree with him. Moz has cut the good people from his life and has spent too long with people who are ok at best. I liked World Peace so I am conflicted, but it's nowhere near as good as Your Arsenal or Vauxhall or Quarry. Moz's voice is better than ever the last few years but the music is letting him down somewhat.

3. "The Boy Racer" Morrissey, Alain Whyte 4:55
4. "The Operation" Morrissey, Whyte 6:52
5. "Dagenham Dave" Morrissey, Whyte 3:13
6. "Do Your Best and Don't Worry" Morrissey, Whyte 4:05
7. "Best Friend on the Payroll" Morrissey, Whyte 3:48
8. "Southpaw" Morrissey, Whyte

Boring chug-rock? These are great songs overall and a couple are up there with his best. Alain Whyte is also co-author on two of the best songs on Ringleader, "Life Is A Pigsty," which is one of Morrissey's last great songs, and "On The Streets I Ran" which isn't one of my favorites overall but still one of the best on that record.
Boz and Alain were a great team and if there was some rivalry it must have served to push them.

This made me want to give World Peace a spin again.

Agree. It's also worth noting that boz wrote a lot of the songs that resonate from vauxhall for me and I think a lot of the fans. Now my heart is full, the more you ignore, speedway. Find out for yourself is pretty amazing and the guitar line from hold on to your friends is also pretty good but the rest is kinda filler imo. The main reason I don't see Alain coming back is that he's already got a bunch of songwriters that I don't think he ready to sideline. Personally I thought world peaces music on par with Alains work. The oscilating yearning/groove of Istanbul, the build in I'm not a man, the guitar crunch of Neil Cassidy as well as he celibritory feel and hookyness of kiss me a lot etc were pretty great. I was pleasantly surprised after refusal sorta lowered my expectations a bit. I was happy to see the music venture outside of rock without sacrificing the pop with some of the song structures

Funny thing is, On the Streets is a Jesse track -- and a good one at that. That, plus You Have Killed Me and In the Future... -- it's arguably the best he's ever been on a single record. Hasn't progressed.

The Lads' progression from mad rockabilly live band, to Your Arsenal rock troubadors, to Vauxhall songwriting artisans was stunning.

Boring chug-rock? These are great songs overall and a couple are up there with his best. Alain Whyte is also co-author on two of the best songs on Ringleader, "Life Is A Pigsty," which is one of Morrissey's last great songs, and "On The Streets I Ran" which isn't one of my favorites overall but still one of the best on that record.
Boz and Alain were a great team and if there was some rivalry it must have served to push them.

But I just like these songs very much!!!? %&?'!?@$&-+
They are very Morrisseyesque, more so then all the "obvious" favourites that many fans have.
Southpaw was f***ing brilliant and Ringleader too, apart from some production issues on that last one.
Those songs are an integral part of Moz and Alain provided the music.
They are not filler but the exponent of the variety in his music.

What do you want?
Each time the same song you like on repetition, it's not possible.
To strive for it is useless and deemed to fail.
Cause the second version would be boring you already.
Count your blessings with the ones you like!

The tension at the RAH gigs where it was 'joked' that Alain got fined whenever he spoke was not nice to see - there was obviously something up and ultimately he left.
He did write some cracking tunes and despite the negative Autobiography tone towards him, does deserve a bit of credit.
Having met several times, I found him to be softly spoken, considerate and willing to chat without any pomposity.
All this reminded me of this old interview (by a God-awful interviewer) where he actually speaks:

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

I agree 100%.

I thought the treatment that Alain got in Autobiography was downright rude. Of course I don't know the bloke, but going off accounts from others who have met him, not to mention his own words, he seems like a decent enough bloke. He has also, for better or worse, co-written a number of Morrissey's better known singles. You can play games of "what if" had M worked with a different band/guitarist from 91 to 04, but he didn't, he had Al (and Boz) and they were accomplished and very good songwriters. To tell patronising and frankly insulting tales like M did in his book was just pathetic.

I seem to recall him being incredible generous with his praise in his book about his then-band members. I bet Solomon wouldn't get such praise if the book had to be re-written today.

I'm sure I'll get the "it's Morrissey and no one else matters" brigade, and that's fine, but it's just another example on a long conveyer belt of those unfairly treated by SPM.
I think most people got a right grilling on Autobiography because Moz is a bit of an ego-maniac. Everyone is there to serve him and is there to prove his self-fulfilling prophecy by letting him down eventually.
There is little thought given to 'the person'. They are cogs in a machine designed to propel Moz to stardom and get him in the top 5, an obsession that I can't and don't want to understand. Autobiography should have been a 1000 page epic detailing his many collaborations with gifted songwriters. Instead it started well and soon disintegrated into a 50+ page dig at Judge Weeks. However it is an instant classic masterpiece compared to 'List of the Lost'.
We all suspect that Alain is a top guy. We all suspect that Moz is a whinge-bag waiting to be offended. That doesn't detract from his music, so please don't attack me for stating my opinion. I like visiting Moz Solo every day and I am very much looking forward to any new material from Moz. Like I said before his voice is better than ever. If Moz plays in Ireland I'll be near the top of the queue.

One year ago he thought different apparently. I can't stand such people. Either say what you have to say or don't say anything at all, but implying things without telling them is shitty.
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes".

You honestly think that Matt would continue to work for Moz if he had treated his brother like shit?

Funny thing is, On the Streets is a Jesse track -- and a good one at that. That, plus You Have Killed Me and In the Future... -- it's arguably the best he's ever been on a single record. Hasn't progressed.

The Lads' progression from mad rockabilly live band, to Your Arsenal rock troubadors, to Vauxhall songwriting artisans was stunning.
I am going to blame my research team. But it's true the Tobias songs on that record are pretty good.

You honestly think that Matt would continue to work for Moz if he had treated his brother like shit?

They're half brothers, and Solomon stuck around when Matt decided to leave the band in 2012.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom