Alain's band Stadium plays "This Charming Man"

Viewable here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hynge4yaqch5t2/Stadium - TCM Altadena HD 720p.mov?dl=0

42052_stadium_tcm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
that "Fender" is a Squire Strat...$150-$250.
Proof u don't REALLY need a $5,000 guitar to sound great.

the other is, or looks like, a nice Gibson Les Paul...maybe why sounds tighter;
no way those 2 guitars can sound alike.

Always curious about whose choice it was to leave the band. I always got the feeling there was some animosity between Boz and Alain.

There may very well have been during the later years. Even Spencer Cobrin recalled competition being fierce in the band during the late 90s. This may have been a reason why bassist Jonny Bridgewood moved on following the Maladjusted tour. I still maintain the last time the band truly felt like a band was with the Oye Esteban tour in 2000 when Gary Day rejoined the group. And if Morrissey hadn't acted stupidly to Spencer via fax, we would have witnessed a full blown reunion of the Kill Uncle/Arsenal Lads lineup. Now, Spike T. Smith was a good fill-in and shared similar musical interests with the rest of the group. But when Deano entered the scene in 2002 things began rolling downhill. I really liked Deano but I felt he never really fit the style of the group and thus began the revolving door of constant session players into the lineup.

When Boz defriended Alain on MySpace in 2008 you knew things were over.

"Excuse me, but I believe the guitar is supposed to go DUR-DUR-DUR DURRDURR DURRDURR DUR DUR DURR DURR DUR DURR."
-Jesse Tobias

agree !:thumb:Especially when Morrissey tells you to play it that way.

:cool:

INTENTIONAL

Morrissey’s solo career (for me) definitely changed for the worse when Alain left. Next to Johnny, he’s the best songwriting partner Moz has had. Of course there have been some good songs post Alain - but - in general, I liked the Moz sound much better with him.

Totally this ^^^! The biggest question in the late Morrissey solo days is why Moz left him behind. He left The Smiths...fine. But he had so much solo success with Alain and then goodbye to that as well. YATQ was the last proper album Morrissey released. He was on the precipices of success for the second time and he trashed that. The bin is full. Time to empty it and start over again.

It's a real shame Alain is no longer in the band. While the albums Morrissey has released post Alain do have some good songs on them, over all the albums aren't as
strong.

Anyone know why Alain was faded out of the band? He did appear in the video for "In future when alls well".

Moz himself can't honestly believe Tobias is a better musician....I'm sure he's a better yes man.

INTENTIONALLY SHITE

WELL THAT'S A MATTER OF OPINION, AND HIS NEW VERSION OF AN OLD SONG HASN'T HURT TICKET SALES TO HIS SHOWS, SO EVERYONE DOESN'T SHARE YOUR OPINION, SORRY M DOESN'T WANNA BE A NOSTALGIA ACT FOR YOU.

WELL THAT'S A MATTER OF OPINION, AND HIS NEW VERSION OF AN OLD SONG HASN'T HURT TICKET SALES TO HIS SHOWS, SO EVERYONE DOESN'T SHARE YOUR OPINION, SORRY M DOESN'T WANNA BE A NOSTALGIA ACT FOR YOU.
*this comment redacted because what's the point in arguing when Morrissey could break wind into a fluegelhorn, put it on record and it would be the next great achievement in avant-garde brilliance and a classic for the ages

Last edited:

Fake news. The truth is Jesse couldn't handle the intricacies of playing This Charming Man so he reverted to chug rock fisting instead and it sounded like water torture to the ears.

*this comment redacted because what's the point in arguing when Morrissey could break wind into a fluegelhorn, put it on record and it would be the next great achievement in avant-garde brilliance and a classic for the ages

Ketamine would surely agree with this. She (it) can not be objectively critical of Morrissey; she should head over and hang out with Simon Wratten (TRB).

I am sure Simon Wratten (TRB) will be quick to slag this off since he would be the first to lick the boots of Tobias and the other hacks currently in Morrissey's band.

Marr composed and played this song when he was in his early 20's.

Alain is know an adept guitarist, to play This Charming Man how it was meant.

Respect............

Last edited:
This cover still misses the mark. When Marr plays the riff it skips along. I've only seen one video where someone was close.

My problem with Stadium is the singer and the styling. Does the bass player need to have on a big gold bracelet? Everyone looks like they have a stylist to achieve 'maximum rockstar effect'. Alain, you are a better guitar player than that. It's like you expect to be filmed like U2 at every concert.

Back to the singer. U2 has Bono, Stadium has 'Oh No'. The Fly Jr on vocals. A workable voice for a lead singer. Every move is a poor derivative of Bono (who I can't stand as a frontman).

I hope Stadium has fun and this is their hobby.

This cover still misses the mark. When Marr plays the riff it skips along. I've only seen one video where someone was close.

This is exactly it, Marr makes it sound easy and effortless. Alain does play well here but you can tell he has practised and rehearsed many times. This is a good example & he's demonstrating layering (at the beginning).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom