Alain Whyte's signed Gretch guitar used on Morrissey songs on eBay

Nice collection of Gold Records on the wall there too! Glad Alain is still obviously proud about his achievements, and hasn't binned them.

Morrissey's material - and, I would also say, his live shows - just haven't been the same since Alain stopped working with him.

I'm not sure why they stopped working together but I hope he rejoins one day.

Easily the most talented songwriter Morrissey has worked with since Johnny Marr.

that's not exactly hard tho is it. Everyone else he's worked with's been shit, except for vini reilly. Viva Hate is still mozzas best solo album, and it's not even up for debate IMO

Morrissey's material - and, I would also say, his live shows - just haven't been the same since Alain stopped working with him.

I'm not sure why they stopped working together but I hope he rejoins one day.

Easily the most talented songwriter Morrissey has worked with since Johnny Marr.

Thankyou for your feedback I shall post your comments on to Martin Lawnmower the " Musical director " responsible for the pub-flam-crank-eoki sound.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Does anyone actually know the reason why Alain departed the Morrissey camp?

I'd like to know the story as well. There's little talk about Alain in Auto, which I found surprising given the tremendous music Moz and Alain made together.

Forget about a Smiths reunion - I want to see a Moz and Alain reunion.

that's not exactly hard tho is it. Everyone else he's worked with's been shit, except for vini reilly. Viva Hate is still mozzas best solo album, and it's not even up for debate IMO

i agree :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to know the story as well. There's little talk about Alain in Auto, which I found surprising given the tremendous music Moz and Alain made together.

Forget about a Smiths reunion - I want to see a Moz and Alain reunion.

i think what most people and most smiths and casual fans want it's a moz/marr reunion for a few gigs and i kinda wish that would happen, even tho i know it won't :( then you can have your moz and alain reunion :thumb:

Thank you for that but basically only two people know why he left. He's badly missed IMO.

Agree completely. It is quite "adult" of him to keep this to himself, but you have to believe that if it were for some innocuous reason he would have freely offered it. The fact that he leaves it at "it was between me and him" leads one to believe it was something personal that he chooses to keep private. Something a true friend would do or just a straight up good bloke. There is a certain distance and coldness to his response to the questions from that link, but then is/was Moz really close with any of his band mates? I would hazard a guess No.

PS. Guitar now at $1,925.

Last edited:
Agree completely. It is quite "adult" of him to keep this to himself, but you have to believe that if it were for some innocuous reason he would have freely offered it. The fact that he leaves it at "it was between me and him" leads one to believe it was something personal that he chooses to keep private. Something a true friend would do or just a straight up good bloke. There is a certain distance and coldness to his response to the questions from that link, but then is/was Moz really close with any of his band mates? I would hazard a guess No.

PS. Guitar now at $1,925.

you knoe, i have always wondered that. I'm curious to know if moz is was really close to some of his bandmates during his solo career or is just boss/employee relationship?? same with the smiths, i always wondered if he was really close to the other three or not really :/

In a post a few weeks ago on Alain's Facebook page, some one innocuously said something to the effect of "Ah, come on Alain, you know you miss it" (in regards to being in Morrissey's band).

Alain replied: "Sometimes. Then reality sets in".

"Let me put it this way, it's not like it used to be".

I suppose people can try to figure out what he might mean. My guess is being around Moz nowadays isn't so enjoyable as perhaps it once was.

Are you sure? The one in the Live in Dallas video has no control knob under the pickguard, this one does.

I am NOT sure. You are right. I have no idea, then. Thanks for the correction. Now that I think about it, it IS interesting Alain wasn't more specific in his description. Nevertheless, still a great item.

I'm sure there are aspects of being in 'Morrissey world' that Alain must miss, especially collaborating on those songs. But looking at the car-crash antics of Morrissey over the past couple of years, I expect he's just as glad to be out of it.

Agreed.

Alain you are far more talented then the musicians he has in his band now. If Morrissey wasn't such a twat perhaps you would still be making music together. Best of luck with the sale.

Cheers

Yes yes yes.

Why does Alain Whyte selling a guitar make you sad? I'm just curious to hear why.

It makes me slightly sad too because Alain seems to be a nice cheerful guy who can also write great songs. He obviously still thinks about his times with Moz. And Moz surrounds himself with kiss ass gimps instead of people like Alain. Plus I reckon Moz spends 0.0 seconds thinking about all the good people he has discarded down through the years.
You could argue that Alain 'left' the band (and I was at Alain's final Moz concert in Dublin Castle for Quarry) but I assume he couldn't handle the absolute f***ed up way people around Moz are treated.
P.s. Moz cried during that concert when he sang 'haven't you me with you now?' in America Is Not The World. I wonder if it was related to Alain's impending departure.

In a post a few weeks ago on Alain's Facebook page, some one innocuously said something to the effect of "Ah, come on Alain, you know you miss it" (in regards to being in Morrissey's band).

Alain replied: "Sometimes. Then reality sets in".

"Let me put it this way, it's not like it used to be".

I suppose people can try to figure out what he might mean. My guess is being around Moz nowadays isn't so enjoyable as perhaps it once was.

Alain left because he and Boz couldn't get along.

It makes me slightly sad too because Alain seems to be a nice cheerful guy who can also write great songs. He obviously still thinks about his times with Moz. And Moz surrounds himself with kiss ass gimps instead of people like Alain. Plus I reckon Moz spends 0.0 seconds thinking about all the good people he has discarded down through the years.
You could argue that Alain 'left' the band (and I was at Alain's final Moz concert in Dublin Castle for Quarry) but I assume he couldn't handle the absolute f***ed up way people around Moz are treated.
P.s. Moz cried during that concert when he sang 'haven't you me with you now?' in America Is Not The World. I wonder if it was related to Alain's impending departure.

I can't remember which gig it was (possibly one in Scandinavia?) around 2004/5 when Moz dedicated a song to Alain. He said something like "for our friend Alain Whyte". Possibly the Hultsfred festival.

I found it! Morrissey dedicates 'No one can hold a candle to you' to Alain at the Roskilde festival in 2004.

https://youtu.be/4KtnHsSDUOs?t=2836

I'm sure water has gone under the bridge since - I don't know the full story about Alain with the Ringleader and Refusal session - but this is nice to hear nonetheless. The fact that M got Mikey Farrell to play on the Bullfighter Dies video was a nice touch and really show that, if he tries, he can keep relationships with old musicians.

This story is 99.9% likely to be false. While it may mingle truth with fiction, I have it on good authority that the conversation never actually took place. If Alain writes an autobiography, I'd imagine he'd write about it there? Who knows. Alain is an interesting dude.

He's probably the most interesting musical figure of the last 30 years. Don't worry about him selling this guitar. The guy could write hit songs on a f***ing toy ukulele.

There were several gigs where Alain was 'jokingly' not allowed to speak.
Whilst at both RAH gigs, I seem to recall there being a tiny bit of tension between Moz and him and 'banter' about not talking.
Seemed to escalate from there maybe?
Wasn't he explained away as mysteriously ill too?
Regards,
FWD

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom