Alain Whyte's favourite Morrissey song

NealCassidy

FREE SPEECH #FBPB

A fairly obscure choice. Pretty surprised that he didn’t pick a Boz co-write.

He talked a bit more about it here:

Never got the appeal of Our Frank. Never liked it. Has a few great lines, but nothing more. In fact, I find it both boring and annoying. That a brilliant composer such as Whyte would pick this as his favorite really surprises me. Each to their own, of course.

I seem to remember Alain saying that his own favourite co-write with Moz was "The Edges are no Longer Parallel". But that was a long time ago; maybe the late 90s.

I seem to remember Alain saying that his own favourite co-write with Moz was "The Edges are no Longer Parallel". But that was a long time ago; maybe the late 90s.
In 2015 he said his favourites were The Edges, Ganglord, Pigsty and Ambitious Outsiders.

I can't remember if he said anything else during those Twitter listening parties last year.

In 2015 he said his favourites were The Edges, Ganglord, Pigsty and Ambitious Outsiders.

I can't remember if he said anything else during those Twitter listening parties last year.
Way back when, I was surprised to learn that Ganglord was a Whyte composition. It’s so heavy handed, chugging and “meat-and-potatoes”, I thought Jesse had written it. Lacks all of Alains beauty and subtlety.

Way back when, I was surprised to learn that Ganglord was a Whyte composition. It’s so heavy handed, chugging and “meat-and-potatoes”, I thought Jesse had written it. Lacks all of Alains beauty and subtlety.
Many of Alain’s songs lack Alain’s beauty and subtlety. 😉

Our Frank is one of his worst in my opinion, with such a weak production... And I've never liked the ending, just a fade out. Terrible opening to a terrible album.

Really? Its sludgy bass line and hallway piano scales indicated to me that it was the farthest thing away from a Jesse co-write at the time. Who would've thunk that Alain would have tried the same exact formula two years later with "My Dearest Love."

Our Frank is likeable enough, but I assume that part of the reason that Alain likes it is due to the nostalgia of him having performed it a bunch in 1991. He must have some pretty amazing memories of that tour which was so different to anything that he could have imagined happening to him prior to that.

Really? Its sludgy bass line and hallway piano scales indicated to me that it was the farthest thing away from a Jesse co-write at the time. Who would've thunk that Alain would have tried the same exact formula two years later with "My Dearest Love."
Now, THAT’s a beautiful song.

A bit of a leftfield choice.

Our Frank is one of Morrissey's better efforts from the Kill Uncle era, but that isn't saying much. I can only imagine that Alain likes the nostalgia of it (the KU tour) rather than for the musical or lyrical content.

I'm with Alain on this - it's a cracker. Personally I'd put one Nevin song slightly higher though - 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday'. Kinda a shame Moz couldn't keep the guy on as an additional songwriter in the background, even if he bailed on the chance of joining the touring band.

Back
Top Bottom