Alain Whyte with Joe Chiccarelli at Sunset Sound Studio

Southport Grandma

As per Alain Whyte’s instagram page he has been shown around Sunset Sound Studio by Joe Chiccarelli. Could this be in preparation for the next Morrissey album?

It is interesting to see the context for those photos of Morrissey and LP (as seen on Central post 11th September 2018). I'm not at all sure about Joe Chiccarelli's production though - e.g. some of my favourite songs on I Am Not a Dog on a Chain are aurally uncomfortable (and I'm not a very sensitive music listener generally).

Obviously Alain Whyte is pulling one over on his Instagram followers. The basketball net was put there by none other than the California Son. Ponce was a diminutive individual and probably wasn’t into shooting hoops.

It is interesting to see the context for those photos of Morrissey and LP (as seen on Central post 11th September 2018). I'm not at all sure about Joe Chiccarelli's production though - e.g. some of my favourite songs on I Am Not a Dog on a Chain are aurally uncomfortable (and I'm not a very sensitive music listener generally).

Yes, J. Chiccarelli’s production is nauseatingly rococo. So many tweaks, and layers, and tinkling—so much sonic glitter. The children’s choir on My Hurling Days Are Done spoils a great song. It’s too bad that as Morrissey has become a pariah in some circles, he is not also making the kind of music that would serve as an F.U. to his idiot critics. This overproduced dance-bop elevator music just isn’t cutting it.

So some Morrissey/Whyte songs potentially to be produced by J Chiccarelli?
Brilliant stuff. Can't wait to hear the results.
Love what he's done to the Morrissey sound.

If he can't get a record deal with a new album recorded with a hit producer, RHCP musicians and perhaps Miley Cyrus, why would he get a contract for this album?

If he can't get a record deal with a new album recorded with a hit producer, RHCP musicians and perhaps Miley Cyrus, why would he get a contract for this album?
A record deal is certainly possible (and may already have been struck). Although the fanbase has shrunk enormously since 2018, he can probably still sell between 5,000 and 10,000 copies of a new album in the UK. Many other acts sell similar quantities and continue to put out new albums e.g. Damon Albarn, Sting, James, Billy Bragg etc.

Could this be in preparation for the next Morrissey album?
It might be nothing more than the pair of them meeting hrough Moz (at his birthday party or before), and Alain is getting a friendly look around with nothing specific in mind. He could even end up doing something there himself in 'solo artist' capacity. But there's certainly the potential here of early stirrings regarding whatever material Alain and Moz have been writing together, so fingers crossed.

nice to see things moving forward. It must be an odd feeling to (hopefully) on the verge of releasing a new album yet in the process of writing and recording new material. Great that the team are working.

The oddest thing about Alains post is that he doesn’t seem to know that Prince is dead. How on earth could he answer the question?

nice to see things moving forward. It must be an odd feeling to (hopefully) on the verge of releasing a new album yet in the process of writing and recording new material. Great that the team are working.

The oddest thing about Alains post is that he doesn’t seem to know that Prince is dead. How on earth could he answer the question?
Whyte's really not the sharpest tool in the box, is he?
Another example is when Morrissey told him (jokingly) that Rome was actually built in a day, to which Whyte responded in full belief "Reeeeeally?" :lbf:

If a proper single with an actual b-side ever arrives, we may even get a Moz/Whyte b-side. Wishful thinking (?)

A record deal is certainly possible (and may already have been struck). Although the fanbase has shrunk enormously since 2018, he can probably still sell between 5,000 and 10,000 copies of a new album in the UK. Many other acts sell similar quantities and continue to put out new albums e.g. Damon Albarn, Sting, James, Billy Bragg etc.
But if Morrissey demands an advance that needs many more copies than that to recoup, it's not much help. The fact that Johnny Marr has no trouble in keeping a record contract is that he settles for less. Which applies to many other artists too, and some of them may have done a 360 deal so the record company gets their share of the concert profits too.

But if Morrissey demands an advance that needs many more copies than that to recoup, it's not much help. The fact that Johnny Marr has no trouble in keeping a record contract is that he settles for less. Which applies to many other artists too, and some of them may have done a 360 deal so the record company gets their share of the concert profits too.
I don’t think Morrissey gets an advance. I think he pays for his own recording. It’s the distribution deal that Morrissey, understandably, craves.

Whyte's really not the sharpest tool in the box, is he?
Another example is when Morrissey told him (jokingly) that Rome was actually built in a day, to which Whyte responded in full belief "Reeeeeally?" :lbf:
Well that's a story that Morrissey told, do we know that it's actually true? Morrissey tells many stories.

Yes if Morrissey was drunk (probably) and looking for a reaction you'd be wise to give him one if you know where your bread is buttered.

Back
Top Bottom