Alain Whyte solo material - 'The Experiment' feat. Dean Butterworth - FB

"The Experiment coming out soon. What is the meaning the meaning of life? Recently the brilliant Dean Butterworth tracked drums. Special thanks to Dusty and Justin for tracking. I’m so excited to put out my solo stuff. Please share and spread the word :)"

Best of luck to Alain.
The song has a certain familiarity about it...
Regards,
FWD.

It was certainly chug-by-numbers when Alain Whyte was writing the music. He was the king of chug!
But the music on the last two Morrissey albums has been thankfully chug free, especially the latest which even has entire songs without guitars. The problem is no longer the music - it's the increasingly awful lyrics and song titles like 'When you open your legs in bed' and ' God bless Israel (everyone else is jealous)'. Just awful.

Whyte was no chugger on Your Arsenal/Vauxhall, was he now.

Last edited:
If I had one wish, let's be serious 100 wishes, one would be to have lunch with Alain and Dean. Some of my favorite Morrissey music came from Alain's amazing melodic abilities, and I loved Dean on The Who Put the M concert. He has such an energy about him. It is hard to maintain relationships in life let alone the music business. I am glad they are able to work together and like Andy and Mike they share a great history of working with one of the greatest lyricists of all time. Regardless of the current state of affairs they will always have this and each other's friendship, and that is worth a lot in my book.
I'd also invite Gary Daze and Spencer Cobblers as me reckons they would have lots of gobchoking gossip from back in the day. Didn't Gary carry a flick-knife? Or was it a flick-comb?

I thought the same from the very beginning and kept expecting the chorus to Dear Prudence to come up.
Ah yes. Good old Robert Smith cavorting in Venice with Medusa.

pC9CCf

Last edited:
"Teenage Dad" and "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now" come to mind instantly.

Nah, "Teenage Dad" had more of a blues structure. Now "How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel" is a chugger, make no mistake.

Was a big fan of Alain and Deano. Was a really good era from the concerts in 2002 to Quarry release.

Yet, at the time, a vocal contingent claimed Deano "didn't hit his drums hard enough." If people had only known Jesse was just around the corner with his gurning "solo" faces...

Nah, "Teenage Dad" had more of a blues structure. Now "How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel" is a chugger, make no mistake.

Yet, at the time, a vocal contingent claimed Deano "didn't hit his drums hard enough." If people had only known Jesse was just around the corner with his gurning "solo" faces...

The music to Teenage Dad was terrible, as was that to Slum Mums.

The music to Teenage Dad was terrible, as was that to Slum Mums.
I loved the last two Moz albums but I'd love if Moz asked 10 or 15 songwriters he likes to send him music. Then he could pick 10 or 12 and record them, and still tour them with current band cos we all know he'll never ditch them.

"The Experiment coming out soon. What is the meaning the meaning of life? Recently the brilliant Dean Butterworth tracked drums. Special thanks to Dusty and Justin for tracking. I’m so excited to put out my solo stuff. Please share and spread the word :)"

Best of luck to Alain.
Regards,
FWD.
wtf you all talking about. Israel is bombin the f out of Palestine.
Irene jew hater from Liverpool and ringo starr hater.

Best of luck to Alain.
Regards,
FWD.
yes best of luck. Lennon and McCartney still best writers, here there and everywhere.

I'd also invite Gary Daze and Spencer Cobblers as me reckons they would have lots of gobchoking gossip from back in the day. Didn't Gary carry a flick-knife? Or was it a flick-comb?

I had both actually back in the day. Not proud though. :) The flick comb was the bomb sorry if I seem a bit out dated but the truth is the truth forevermore.

Yes, but that was 30 years ago. Now it's chug-by-numbers.

It was certainly chug rock by default in the Alain Whyte era (plus a sprinkling of chug-free gens). Thankfully that era has now passed. There hasn't been a single chug-rock song on the last two albums. Amazingly, some have even been guitar-free. The problem these days is no longer the music as it was from Southpaw through to Years of Refusal. It's the lyrics.

yes best of luck. Lennon and McCartney still best writers, here there and everywhere.
I'll go out on a limb and start sawing it but.... I always thought The Beatles were too melodic and not edgy or dark enough. They had amazing tunes but to me they are like a tin of peaches. Lovely to eat for a few minutes but too sweet and syrupy after a while.

I'll go out on a limb and start sawing it but.... I always thought The Beatles were too melodic and not edgy or dark enough. They had amazing tunes but to me they are like a tin of peaches. Lovely to eat for a few minutes but too sweet and syrupy after a while.

I agree mostly with your post, but to me it is like saying vanilla is not chocolate enough. The Beatles created their own flavor of music. Yes, a bit syrupy, but still the later work has more complexity to it. As a teenager I had the red and blue albums and I always gravitated to the blue. Songs like We Can Work It Out, Don't Let Me Down, and Here Comes The Sun all have a depth to them that I still quite enjoy listening to. Funny because I have the exact opposite feeling regarding Morrissey's music. I only enjoy listening to the music from his Early Burglary Years.

I agree mostly with your post, but to me it is like saying vanilla is not chocolate enough. The Beatles created their own flavor of music. Yes, a bit syrupy, but still the later work has more complexity to it. As a teenager I had the red and blue albums and I always gravitated to the blue. Songs like We Can Work It Out, Don't Let Me Down, and Here Comes The Sun all have a depth to them that I still quite enjoy listening to. Funny because I have the exact opposite feeling regarding Morrissey's music. I only enjoy listening to the music from his Early Burglary Years.

Not to mention songs like she’s leaving home, Norwegian wood, I’m a loser, I am the walrus and happiness is a warm gun etc

Alain is looking good! I've been playing this song on repeat and can't wait until the full album comes out. His voice is sounding very strong and def has presence, hopefully he'll be doing some shows!

The song def has some Ganglord vibes happening but it makes sense since he also wrote that song some years back. Give us more Alain!!!

Almost half of the self-titled double album is dark as f***. Yer Blues, Revolution No. 9, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence, Julia, Long Long Long, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I'm So Tired, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Sexy Sadie...all very dark; certainly lyrically and in most cases musically as well.

Having said that, they definitely had their saccharine moments; yes.

Almost half of the self-titled double album is dark as f***. Yer Blues, Revolution No. 9, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence, Julia, Long Long Long, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I'm So Tired, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Sexy Sadie...all very dark; certainly lyrically and in most cases musically as well.

Having said that, they definitely had their saccharine moments; yes.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings ? o_O

Alain's second EP is coming soon. A short preview of "A Higher Power" is embedded and sounds more similar to the guitar-driven tunes he wrote for Morrissey.

He also recently posted on Facebook that Gary Day has cut bass tracks for the project and claimed in the same post that he now had 3-4 EPs worth of material recorded.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom