Alain Whyte solo material - 'The Experiment' feat. Dean Butterworth - FB

"The Experiment coming out soon. What is the meaning the meaning of life? Recently the brilliant Dean Butterworth tracked drums. Special thanks to Dusty and Justin for tracking. I’m so excited to put out my solo stuff. Please share and spread the word :)"

Best of luck to Alain.
The song has a certain familiarity about it...
Regards,
FWD.

"The Experiment coming out soon. What is the meaning the meaning of life? Recently the brilliant Dean Butterworth tracked drums. Special thanks to Dusty and Justin for tracking. I’m so excited to put out my solo stuff. Please share and spread the word :)"

Best of luck to Alain.
The song has a certain familiarity about it...
Regards,
FWD.

It certainly does! Ganglord, anyone? :) He did this with IBEH as well, though, didn't he? I love Alain and wish him lots of luck with it, but I've got to say, Morrissey's versions in both cases were better. I think it's a really good example of the extent of Morrissey's musical contribution which is often overlooked. The vocal melody to Ganglord, as well as the lyrics, are just so much more interesting. It also makes me wonder how Alain managed to do this with the tune for Ganglord already out there and well-established. For me this would be like trying to think of a song you know, while a different one is playing.

Last edited:
It sounds great, I've always liked the music track in Ganglord, it's so powerful.

Morrissey's musical contribution is hardly ever considered. I listen to Smiths instrumentals and marvel at what Morrissey came up with. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others are two great examples of Morrissey transforming what are very strange but interesting repetitive chord progressions into fully formed amazing songs.

Wooof, those are some sub-par lyrics.

And did he really have to fall back on a Morrissey melody for his solo project? You'd think after all this time he'd have enough melodies stocked up for a completely new project. Smacks a bit of "well this will grab the Morrissey folks" - which I get, but it isn't terribly flattering from a creative standpoint.

This I will give him, he's still got a pretty flexible voice, and when he hits the high notes he really does sound a little like early Bowie.

Morrissey's musical contribution is hardly ever considered. I listen to Smiths instrumentals and marvel at what Morrissey came up with. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others are two great examples of Morrissey transforming what are very strange but interesting repetitive chord progressions into fully formed amazing songs.

Yes, but that was 30 years ago. Now it's chug-by-numbers.

Wooof, those are some sub-par lyrics.

And did he really have to fall back on a Morrissey melody for his solo project? You'd think after all this time he'd have enough melodies stocked up for a completely new project. Smacks a bit of "well this will grab the Morrissey folks" - which I get, but it isn't terribly flattering from a creative standpoint.

This I will give him, he's still got a pretty flexible voice, and when he hits the high notes he really does sound a little like early Bowie.

Another moocher; like Drama J who has to fall back on the Moz numbers to keep his fiasco of a tour afloat.
2 Moz numbers follow rapidly after 'Boooooooooog'. DJ with his CALL THE COMET:drama: and this renaissance genius with his 'meaning of life'. Very embarrassing.doh:

Yes, but that was 30 years ago. Now it's chug-by-numbers.

It was certainly chug-by-numbers when Alain Whyte was writing the music. He was the king of chug!
But the music on the last two Morrissey albums has been thankfully chug free, especially the latest which even has entire songs without guitars. The problem is no longer the music - it's the increasingly awful lyrics and song titles like 'When you open your legs in bed' and ' God bless Israel (everyone else is jealous)'. Just awful.

It was certainly chug-by-numbers when Alain Whyte was writing the music. He was the king of chug!
But the music on the last two Morrissey albums has been thankfully chug free, especially the latest which even has entire songs without guitars. The problem is no longer the music - it's the increasingly awful lyrics and song titles like 'When you open your legs in bed' and ' God bless Israel (everyone else is jealous)'. Just awful.

I wouldn’t call, First of the gang or Irish blood chuggers, in fact I can’t think of any songs that Alain wrote with/for Morrissey chuggers.

somebody hire a cleaner,that speaker has an inch of dust on it.

I wouldn’t call, First of the gang or Irish blood chuggers, in fact I can’t think of any songs that Alain wrote with/for Morrissey chuggers.
I do think he was getting a bit more chugley towards the end, but I don't blame him for that - I suspect he was under intolerable pressure of one sort or another. And his output overall was so great that I can easily forgive him.
I seem to be one of the few who don't like First of the Gang - it is chugging of the first order, to me, but Irish Blood is great.

I have to agree with you Surface. I remember the first time I heard FOTGTD, it was at King George's Hall Blackburn played live before its release, Mrs Benny was pregnant so I went on my own, that song blew the night away and you just knew it was going to be a massive hit for him. Good times.
Great to see Alain in the studio, I wish him all the best and great to see Deano as well, he always brought a touch of class to the Quarry era.

P.S. Had a great session in and around the Mackie Mayor yesterday. Great atmosphere, great beer, curry at This n That. (What an afternoon that was :thumb:)

P.P.S I'm sure that vegan 4ckwit will have something to say but I just ignore the @@nt these days :tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Reckon Alain Whyte's house in LA, although not close to Uncle Steve's in Malibu is top mental m8 inn nn n it. Reckon a real family man. Good on ya m8 inn nn n n it.

If I had one wish, let's be serious 100 wishes, one would be to have lunch with Alain and Dean. Some of my favorite Morrissey music came from Alain's amazing melodic abilities, and I loved Dean on The Who Put the M concert. He has such an energy about him. It is hard to maintain relationships in life let alone the music business. I am glad they are able to work together and like Andy and Mike they share a great history of working with one of the greatest lyricists of all time. Regardless of the current state of affairs they will always have this and each other's friendship, and that is worth a lot in my book.

Last edited:
The father who must be killed. Now I don’t really dislike a lot of these songs but they do fall into this category

YES!!! YES!!! I REMEMBER FIRST HEARING FOTD!!! 'I left out of Reno...'

Mrs Halal was busy:straightface: VERY BUSY WORKING FOR BEER MONEY:swear:swear:swear
YES SURFACE!!!:swear:ahhh:

By the way, where is:frogface: now that the tour is over. Giving the old:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: a tune up?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom