Alain Whyte reminisces about "Southpaw Grammar" on Facebook, released 20 years ago (Aug. 28, 1995)

Re: Alain Whyte reminisces about Southpaw Grammar, released 20 years ago today

http://vulgarpicture.com/m1995.html

As far as I know it was included with all the vinyl versions. I don't ever remember seeing a vinyl copy without the booklet.

It only has the lyrics to Teachers... but then so did the CD and Cassette.

I wonder why he only included the lyrics to that song?

- - - Updated - - -

Just realised I don't have You Must Please Remember on my iPod. I need to find the cd single of Dagenham Dave!!!

As far as I know, You Must Please Remember is the only b-side on a single that hasn't subsequently been released on a compilation or re-release or what have you. Not even on the Southpaw Grammar re-release.

He's so right, Nobody Loves Us should've been on the album (it's better than any song on the LP and one of his best songs EVAH!) but he's wrong about Dagenham Dave being a good song. It's absolutely crap! Southpaw is a great song too but it's gotten no recognition from anybody including the man himself.

"Southpaw" is my favorite Moz song of all-time. Brilliance, and cool to hear Alain give some details on it. That said, I disagree when he says it should have been shorter. That proggy instrumental jam is pure gold. <3

Man.. I really miss Alain. Great guy.. Excellent musician. Life is a Pigsty is in my top 3 all time Morrissey/Smiths songs. Nice to read his thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

He's so right, Nobody Loves Us should've been on the album (it's better than any song on the LP and one of his best songs EVAH!) but he's wrong about Dagenham Dave being a good song. It's absolutely crap! Southpaw is a great song too but it's gotten no recognition from anybody including the man himself.

I think it's great and I wouldn't shorten it at all. Teachers could be 6 minutes.

the second worst moz album. honey you know where to find me is a song i love but even that couldnt save it

Really had some years liking it, as now I can with ROTT, which I found recorderded too fast after Quarry though those were all demo'ed years before the release due to getting a record deal, some thing never chanche, well
Alain did, as I wrote many times, I prefer Alain over Boz or Jesse.

Really enjoyed how Alain technally and with joy spoke about the Southpaw recording, and the Lads.

There's just 1 person who desides what goes on the album, and that is Morrissey, so if there's a questionary , ask Him why those 2 songs didn't get on the album

Whyteside forever

Last edited:

I remember vividly going out to the local record shop (God, there really were such places) and buying the CD on the day of release. My first reaction upon listening - Teachers went on far too long and Southpaw (probably one of my favourite Moz lyrics) had far too long an instrumental after the lyric finished...Alain is spot on. Nobody Loves Us was made to be an album track, not a b-side. Despite all that, Southpaw is still a great Moz album.

the second worst moz album. honey you know where to find me is a song i love but even that couldnt save it

Honey... is sub par. Southpaw is excellent.

Funnily enough Teachers & Southpaw are my 2 favourite tracks! He is bang on about 'Nobody Loves Us' and 'You Must Please Remember.' I still think the album would've worked as an 8 track affair if he'd simply swapped out 'Best Friend' and 'Do Your Best' for the 2 aforementioned songs. Or of he'd waited just a little bit longer and had those 'Boxers' sessions to add to the album. There were some classic tracks on that EP.

do your best, best friend and boy racer are three of my favorite moz tracks ever! alain's right about shortening teachers and southpaw and including nobody loves us and you must please remember.

Southpaw Grammar is Morrissey's failed attempt to make a Smoking Popes album.

Can only describe this album as intensity

Man.. I really miss Alain. Great guy.. Excellent musician. Life is a Pigsty is in my top 3 all time Morrissey/Smiths songs.

He seems really down to earth with a lovely personality.

do your best, best friend and boy racer are three of my favorite moz tracks ever! alain's right about shortening teachers and southpaw and including nobody loves us and you must please remember.

If you shorten Teacher and Southpaw you take away everything special from SG (apart from The Operation). It stands out BECAUSE Moz did something with these two tracks he never had done before. Alain doesn't strike me as a very risky person but rather straightforward which is boring. Sometimes it's astonishing how little he understands Moz. He didn't say anything new. He praised Spencer's drumming. Moz it did before. He remembered the recording of Southpaw. Moz did remember it like that before. Moz hinted in the past that Southpaw is too personal for him to play live and that explaination is enough for me. I don't expect Moz to tell the details so it's a bit 'piss and moan' from Alain that he 'doesn't know this and doesn't know that'. He (as everybody else) doesn't need to know everything. It's not his album.

As far as I know, You Must Please Remember is the only b-side on a single that hasn't subsequently been released on a compilation or re-release or what have you. Not even on the Southpaw Grammar re-release.

Nah - there's loads. 'Oh Well I'll Never Learn', 'There Speaks a True Friend', 'I Am Two People' etc etc.

It was 20 years ago today...I was living in bedsit land at the time and bought Southpaw Grammar - wait for it - on cassette! I still have it somewhere. I loved the orange sleeve with the lyrics from Teachers printed on it. Very poetic. I agree completely with Alain. It felt inaccesible and not listener-friendly, 'one for the fans' rather than the great follow-up to Vauxhall that it was and is. With some chnages this album could and should have gone to No. 1.

Southpaw Grammar is Morrissey's failed attempt to make a Smoking Popes album.

Southpaw Grammar is Morrissey's successful attempt not to make a Smoking Popes album.

20 years ago? Time flies. It was actually released on the bank holiday Monday in the UK as I remember catching the train into Croydon to buy a copy on vinyl.... complete with the booklet! I've always enjoyed this album and will have to dig it out later this weekend for a listen. Would be nice to hear Alain reminisce more about his time with moz.

Oh Alain ! Good to here from you pal.
It's all changed now, Steven has chosen to surround himself with the Gorganites.
They just churn out any old shit these days and demand a recording contract.
It's not like the old days anymore.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom