Alain Whyte on Joney's Jukebox - interview and performance

Alain chatting/jamming with Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. Fun interview, with plenty of great Morrissey stories here, plus a nice acoustic version of 'We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful' around the 20 minute mark, and a burst of 'You're The One For Me, Fatty' and 'Certain People I Know' from around 41:00.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, Moz thinks otherwise...

"Having rescued Alain from the mad-death of his mind-crushing job at Camden Council, he would now cross continents rather than say a hello to me. When both Nancy Sinatra and Marianne Faithfull cover songs written by Alain and I, he has nothing to say, as if it had always been his due, and as if it could so easily have happened with any other co-writer from East Finchley. ‘Where were the New York Dolls from?’ asks Alain, as he trails away. I’m so confused by the question that I can’t utter any sound by way of reply."
Why would that be an odd question? A band can have a name different form where the originate.

Morrissey seems to have gone out of his way in his book to give a series of back-handed statements about Alain.

Also, he seems to be bothered by Alain shunning him when the man has done the same to countless collaborators throughout his career.

How does it feel Morrissey? Alain dumped you before you could dump him, and it seems to have bothered you.

Johnny rescued you from a similar fate.

I don't even know if I can articulate them. Jones was a semi-drunk/semi-senile douche who clearly hates Morrissey and has no familiarity with Alain's solo stuff. Alain seemed desperate.

I don't know. Hard to explain.
Nothing seemed desperate about that interview. It was rather routine, light-hearted, and relaxed.

We get it, a former Morrissey collaborator seems well-adjusted, and at peace, and you have to bring them down a notch; but it all seems so catty.

Many of you need medication, or at the very least, an adjusted dose.

Morrissey has (rather uncharitably IMHO) made Alain out to be a dense thicko. I don't see that in this interview, I see a rather engaging witty dude.
It was his usual catty way of trying to get back at someone who didn't bow, an kiss the ring until the end.

He did the same to Johnny.

He seems to think that everyone owes him something, but he doesn't owe anyone anything.

The reality is, Morrissey has been the one rescued time, and time again. Street rescued him as well, and he doidn't even want to pay him for the effort.

Jones seems to suffer from some mild ADHD. Alain could barely finish a sentence without Jones' starting to get bored and talking about something else.

Jones seems to suffer from some mild ADHD. Alain could barely finish a sentence without Jones' starting to get bored and talking about something else.
Oh, enough. If anything, he seemed to be on opiates.

Can you twats just enjoy the content of the interview without the play-by-play of your most microscopic annoyances?

Alain makes a great point about Morrissey needing to drop more notes into the vocal melody on songs like Heir Apparent. One of the biggest criticisms of Morrissey's vocals is that he seems to sing only the fifth most of the time, and it lacks melodic variety on many tracks. He sings the octave, and it can become a bit droning.

This is one of the better interviews regarding the writing process with Morrissey, and all you sad sacs can complain about is the non-essentials.

Biggest hits? Yer jokin. Morrissey's singles sold in pitiful quantities, especially since Bona Drag.
Two or three weeks max in the top 40 with the exception of First of the Gang. There would have been very little to gain financially from a co-write.
Alain's biggest pay-off would have been from writing much/most of Quarry and Ringleader, two of his biggest selling albums but it's hard to know how much he would have got exactly.

um , Irish Blood , Forgiven Jesus , You Have Killed Me , let me kiss you were all top ten singles in the UK . I think irish Blood reached number 2

Jones was a semi-drunk/semi-senile douche who clearly hates Morrissey and has no familiarity with Alain's solo stuff.

I've seen a few of these, and Jones is like this in all of them - one man's charmingly laid back 'couldn't give a f***' attitude (which I think actually gets a lot out of his interviewees) is another person's unprepared senile douche, I guess. I'm pretty sure he doesn't hate Morrissey though:
44516_morrissey_steve_jones.jpg

"Alain is a cool Dude" anyone who says this clearly doesn't know him. As I wish I had never found out. Should have remained a fan at a blissful ignorant distance away.

Hes a twat:thumb:

Now Skinny is chiming in too with his 'songwriting bastardization' expertise.:crazy:

Everyone is a Moz expert, they dis him but have expertise on him and try to make
many shekels off of him.:mad:

Wonder if Alain & Johnny Marr are at all mates? How awesome would it be to sit at a pub with them as they swapped Moz stories?

they should have a Moz Twattery convention. sit alain twat, mr cometry, skinny and the sock puppets, flathead mike etc etc behind a table and stick a sign to their heads with: "buy me a pint and give me a pound and ill tell you a Moz story".:rolleyes:

maybe skinny will elucidate on his johnny panic theory.:lbf:

they have no life outside of talking about Moz 24/7 very embarrassing.o_O

Enjoyable chat between Jones and Alain with some nice acoustic renditions.
Some of you lot have time to hate on stuff like this? Barmy...

Alain won’t be working with Morrissey again,not after that awful parody of Moz singing the ‘Immigrant Song’. What was he thinking?!

The lad plays better than he sings, f*** it I play better than he sings.

It was his usual catty way of trying to get back at someone who didn't bow, an kiss the ring until the end.

He did the same to Johnny.

He seems to think that everyone owes him something, but he doesn't owe anyone anything.

The reality is, Morrissey has been the one rescued time, and time again. Street rescued him as well, and he doidn't even want to pay him for the effort.

Morrissey wasn't blessed with talent. Listen to his voice in the very early Smiths stuff, the vocal melodies aren't great either. He didn't look like a pop star. But he worked at it. Everyday. To the detriment of everything else in his life. He studied song and melody and he worked on his voice. Tirelessly. Hard-work. Dedication. Thats what made him what he is. He never gave up. He got "rescued" because his hand was outstretched ready. Hes earned every penny the hard way

Nothing seemed desperate about that interview. It was rather routine, light-hearted, and relaxed.

We get it, a former Morrissey collaborator seems well-adjusted, and at peace, and you have to bring them down a notch; but it all seems so catty.

Many of you need medication, or at the very least, an adjusted dose.

Advocating psych meds to a stranger on a Morrissey website because of an opinion you don't agree with isn't exactly setting the bar high for mental health...

I don't even know if I can articulate them. Jones was a semi-drunk/semi-senile douche who clearly hates Morrissey and has no familiarity with Alain's solo stuff. Alain seemed desperate.

I don't know. Hard to explain.

Agreed about not knowing Alain's solo stuff (but hey, I like Alain and I don't know any of it). To me, Jonesy sounded complementary of Morrissey. He may not be a big fan, but I didn't get a hates Morrissey vibe from this interview. I'm not aware of any, but has Jonesy made negative comments about Morrissey in the past?

Agreed about not knowing Alain's solo stuff (but hey, I like Alain and I don't know any of it). To me, Jonesy sounded complementary of Morrissey. He may not be a big fan, but I didn't get a hates Morrissey vibe from this interview. I'm not aware of any, but has Jonesy made negative comments about Morrissey in the past?

Honestly it was an instinctive observation of mine. If I'm wrong that's fine. I don't care enough to keep debating it. His Moz impersonation wasn't funny the first time and much less so the 51 times that followed. He just seems like a boorish old ass.

Plus I hate punks. Especially aging ones.

I guess it just makes me sad to see Alain so obviously hung up on the old days and his memories and to know how badly he wishes he had not been forced out and replaced with a mariachi band. What a f***ing joke. And yet he's too sweet and polite to show bitterness or resentment. But he clearly wallows in that nostalgia.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom