Alain Whyte on Joney's Jukebox - interview and performance

Alain chatting/jamming with Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. Fun interview, with plenty of great Morrissey stories here, plus a nice acoustic version of 'We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful' around the 20 minute mark, and a burst of 'You're The One For Me, Fatty' and 'Certain People I Know' from around 41:00.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Warm-up in green room prior to the radio show (National Front Disco):

20190110_123958.jpg

a424bf9d4316e310bd8fe38c63ef72f8.jpg

The YT video also features talking about the '91 era, songwriting with Moz, Mick Ronson and a tongue in cheek 'how Moz would have sung' Immigrant Song by Led Zep.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
doh:

doesnt Alain Twat have anything to say that he always has to be talking Moz? Mr Cometry now Alain Twat.
always taking shots on Moz. Immigrant Song, how hilarious, Alain Twat.:ha-no:

Without Moz the two of them are liable to starve:yum: they have nothing going but for twattery and cometry:laughing: and that doesnt pay the bills.:rofl:

poor miserable wretches.doh:

Probably the most important part of the interview around the 39:20 mark.

Jones: "Do you think you'll get back together with Morrissey to do more collaborations?"

Alain [sighs]: "If it was the original lot and it makes sense doing financially...maybe."

Your royalties bring you luxuries.
He co-wrote some of Moz' biggest hits so he should be quite well-off.

But Alain is great and always will be one of Moz's best loved collaborators.

I liked him when he replaced Dennis Waterman s character Terry as Arfur Daleys nephew Ray in Minder during the mid to late 80 s prior to joining Morrissey. Incidentally i saw an old episode the other day which had a guest appearance from Andrew Sachs (Manuel in Fawlty towers) in which he was on the run in Brighton and says to Arfur "i am the Quarry !"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960499/

Last edited:

Jones: "Do you think you'll get back together with Morrissey to do more collaborations?"

Alain [sighs]: "If it was the original lot and it makes sense doing financially...maybe."

:rolleyes:

MAYBE!!???

YES YOU HEARD ME MAYBE, MAYBE I WILL IF I HAVE THE
TIME AND HAVE NOTHING IMPORTANT TO DO
LIKE PLAYING FREE SHOWS AT COVINA RECORDS
AND RELEASING EPS:lbf: WITH MOZ SONG ON THEM!!:swear:swear

I MAY GO TO PORTLAND AND PANHANDLE BAGS OF BURGER KING FROM G23!!!:swear
(IF HES NOT OUT PANDHANDLING HIMSELF lol)

WHAT A MAJOR TWAT, ALAIN TWAT:rock:

Alain is a fantastic songwriter, I really miss his songs and guitar playing with Morrissey, he was very very good.

:rolleyes:

MAYBE!!???

YES YOU HEARD ME MAYBE, MAYBE I WILL IF I HAVE THE
TIME AND HAVE NOTHING IMPORTANT TO DO
LIKE PLAYING FREE SHOWS AT COVINA RECORDS
AND RELEASING EPS:lbf: WITH MOZ SONG ON THEM!!:swear:swear

I MAY GO TO PORTLAND AND PANHANDLE BAGS OF BURGER KING FROM G23!!!:swear
(IF HES NOT OUT PANDHANDLING HIMSELF lol)

WHAT A MAJOR TWAT, ALAIN TWAT:rock:
Really? Who hurt you?

"Alain" ( Monsieur Twat lol) Twat , you have hurt my ear drums:ear::ear: very severely with your sucky EP!!!

:swear

( he will be on the Moz quiz show very soon, same as Mr Cometry:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:, trying to guess if is Moz
or not:oldwoman: poor wretch)

I reckon ya'll he can't be "very well off" if he lives in Altadena. Al is really trying hard to make it in Moz Angeles and I really like the dichotomy between him and Malibu Steve. Everyone knew he was booked for Jonesy's Jukebox. Next, I Reckon I can see Al showing up with his guitar at John Lydon's house down the street from Uncle Steve and begging to jam with PIL in the garage so Uncle Steve can hear him playing guitar. Good on ya Al m8 inn nn nn nnnn n n it.

Your royalties bring you luxuries.
He co-wrote some of Moz' biggest hits so he should be quite well-off.

But Alain is great and always will be one of Moz's best loved collaborators.

Biggest hits? Yer jokin. Morrissey's singles sold in pitiful quantities, especially since Bona Drag.
Two or three weeks max in the top 40 with the exception of First of the Gang. There would have been very little to gain financially from a co-write.
Alain's biggest pay-off would have been from writing much/most of Quarry and Ringleader, two of his biggest selling albums but it's hard to know how much he would have got exactly.

Well, the only ones left from the original lineup is Moz and Boz. There is 0% chance Gary and Spencer ever come back.

I'm not surprised Alain said that, though. Don't think he's ever met Matt, Mando/Solomon, and Gustavo and he probably wouldn't feel much of a musical connection with the Latin Lads anyway.

Biggest hits? Yer jokin. Morrissey's singles sold in pitiful quantities, especially since Bona Drag.
Two or three weeks max in the top 40 with the exception of First of the Gang. There would have been very little to gain financially from a co-write.
Alain's biggest pay-off would have been from writing much/most of Quarry and Ringleader, two of his biggest selling albums but it's hard to know how much he would have got exactly.
Alain wrote 62 songs with Moz, nearly as many as Johnny Marr.
Among them several on his best selling albums, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and You are the Quarry, including its four singles.
He must have done very poorly for himself were he not to be a millionaire.

A polite way of saying probably never.

BTW, I also don't hear First of the Gang in Billy Don't be a Hero.

Alain wrote 62 songs with Moz, nearly as many as Johnny Marr.
Among them several on his best selling albums, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and You are the Quarry, including its four singles.
He must have done very poorly for himself were he not to be a millionaire.

Your Arsenal was one of his worst selling albums in the UK. Sold even fewer than Kill Uncle.

Lol. the world is bigger than the UK.
In the US it was his best selling album, even got a Grammy-nomination.

Indeed it is but reports of Morrissey albums selling huge amounts in the US are greatly exaggerated.
He normally sells about twice as many copies of any given album here in the UK.
According to Wikipedia, only Viva Hate and Bona Drag went Gold in the US, so Your Arsenal wouldn't have been his biggest selling album there.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom