Alain Whyte on Joney's Jukebox - interview and performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jan 10, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jan 10, 2019 at 6:09 AM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Alain chatting/jamming with Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. Fun interview, with plenty of great Morrissey stories here, plus a nice acoustic version of 'We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful' around the 20 minute mark, and a burst of 'You're The One For Me, Fatty' and 'Certain People I Know' from around 41:00.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jan 10, 2019.

1. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      didn't know his dad was Scottish,wonder what part.good lad alain.
      • Like Like x 3
    2. bhops
      bhops
      Morrissey has (rather uncharitably IMHO) made Alain out to be a dense thicko. I don't see that in this interview, I see a rather engaging witty dude.
      • Like Like x 3
    3. MozIsGod
      MozIsGod
      Apparently, Moz thinks otherwise...

"Having rescued Alain from the mad-death of his mind-crushing job at Camden Council, he would now cross continents rather than say a hello to me. When both Nancy Sinatra and Marianne Faithfull cover songs written by Alain and I, he has nothing to say, as if it had always been his due, and as if it could so easily have happened with any other co-writer from East Finchley. ‘Where were the New York Dolls from?’ asks Alain, as he trails away. I’m so confused by the question that I can’t utter any sound by way of reply."
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. 2-J
      2-J
      I enjoyed this SO much. Thanks for posting the video :)

I feel so lucky having seen Alain and Morrissey together onstage.
      • Like Like x 3
    5. Halloway
      Halloway
      He does a good Morrissey impersonation.
      • Like Like x 1
    6. bhops
      bhops
      Ummm, I know, that is what I referencing.
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
    7. The Wild Turkey
      The Wild Turkey
      Al seems like a cool dude.
      It was kind of goofy though when he said he didn't realize that We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful was lyrically great.
      All that time he spent performin' it and now he sits down with Jonesy and realizes it?
      Haha. Maybe he was busy researchin' where the New York Dolls were from.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Alan does seem a little dim, and those lyrics to his recent new song were awful, but Morrissey's comments here are a bit disingenuous. Faithful covered the dismal 'Kegs between Legs' song some time after Ringleader had been released i.e. when Alain and Morrissey were no longer in touch.
      Also, Alain wrote most of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall, two of Morrissey's most acclaimed albums so one could argue that it was Alan who rescued Morrissey (from his early 90's nadir).
      And Morrissey, it should be 'songs written by Alain and me' ya great thicko.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      "Alain is a cool Dude" anyone who says this clearly doesn't know him. As I wish I had never found out. Should have remained a fan at a blissful ignorant distance away.
      • Troll Troll x 1
    10. roky
      roky
      and not to mention all the videos from Arsenal that played on MTV and his appearances live on MtV.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. SuedeMoz
      SuedeMoz
      Wonder if Alain & Johnny Marr are at all mates? How awesome would it be to sit at a pub with them as they swapped Moz stories?
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. SuedeMoz
      SuedeMoz
      Sorry to hear that but care to share your experience?
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      He wrote a lot of nice songs, but he was so cringy here. Laughing but so NOT funny. Enjoyed the studio and Lads talk, but the bits, UGH!
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    14. MrShoes
      MrShoes
      "Ah-ha---oh-no!"
    15. Mr. Jackpots
      Mr. Jackpots
      I completely agree about Heir Apparent. I hate that part of the song.
    16. Halloway
      Halloway
      Morrissey's abuse of what Sir Humphrey Appleby memorably referred to as 'the perpendicular pronoun' is legendary.
    17. AztecCamera
      AztecCamera
      Fek not blood likely I reckon. For whatever reason John Maher just can't make it in Moz Angeles, even though he is a much better basketball player than Al. I reckon it's an easier and cheaper life for John in Portland, Oregon. The last place Al is going to be seen is in a "pub". Try the beach or Loma Alta Park (his favouuuurite place) mate inn n nn nnn n n nn it din't in n it.
      • Troll Troll x 1
    18. Mr. Jackpots
      Mr. Jackpots
      This interview depressed me for a number of reasons.
      • Like Like x 1
    19. 123xyz
      123xyz

What are the reasons ? It all seemed pretty innocuous to me ... ?
    20. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      First Of The Gang was bastardised from the Johnny Panic song Stay With Me. Not Billy Don't Be A Hero.
      • Like Like x 1