Alain Whyte and Morrissey

I read an old comment on a message board from someone claiming to know a musician who was considered for the position in Moz' band that ultimately went to Alain Whyte. Apparently, the applicant's band had toured with The Smiths in the UK. Which band/musician would this have been? (assuming the original post was accurate)

I read an old comment on a message board from someone claiming to know a musician who was considered for the position in Moz' band that ultimately went to Alain Whyte. Apparently, the applicant's band had toured with The Smiths in the UK. Which band/musician would this have been? (assuming the original post was accurate)

I know Richard Hawley auditioned.... but I'm not sure whether it is that you're referring to.

I know Richard Hawley auditioned.... but I'm not sure whether it is that you're referring to.

I think Richard Hawley auditioned for The Smiths, presumably for the role that went to Craig Gannon. Not sure, though.

He made the mistake of breaking into song, much to Morrissey's disapproval.

Shame, Hawley would have made a great songwriting partner for Moz.

I think Richard Hawley auditioned for The Smiths, presumably for the role that went to Craig Gannon. Not sure, though.

He made the mistake of breaking into song, much to Morrissey's disapproval.

Shame, Hawley would have made a great songwriting partner for Moz.

Using that great emporium of 100% accurate information (;)) wikipedia says this: "In 1991, Hawley auditioned to be a guitarist in Morrissey's live band, but was rejected after he started singing "One Night" by Elvis Presley during his audition."

I read an interview with Hawley in my local paper just around the time his big album came out, '07 or '08? Anyway he corroborated the above, afaik implying
he was too innovative and free-spirited to be one of the Moz gang...

Richard Hawley is probably the last artist I would call innovative. Nice as it is his music is just well made pastiche.

I remember reading something about Bernard Butler, and how he was very close to filling in for Alain back in '04.

Back
Top Bottom