Alain / Jessie swap - The New Order

javert

Super Moderator
Subscriber
Now it appears that likely Boz won’t be returning the Band anytime soon with the U.K. Dates, is there a turning point opportunity for the guitars in the band?

Boz / Alain have never gotten along as documented by Moz in his autobiography. Now Boz is out for family / other reasons, and Alain for now has been playing rythm, do we think Alain may return as lead guitar? Especially now Boz’s musical director position is persona non grata.

Moz has played a lot of songs recently that are Alain-Moz compositions, with the wonderful sound of Alain’s playing coming back (albeit not his lead sound), could Moz change his mind?

I assume a lot of Bonfire songs are Jessie compositions, but now Alain is back writing and playing for Moz, could we see the order shakeup?

I also note the sound difference, there is that Latin twang on work from 2014+ onwards from Tobias, Gustavo and Mando (not sure what happened to him). Now Alain is back in the fold, I think we may get back a proper return to 1994-2005 guitar rock and roll

Now it appears that likely Boz won’t be returning the Band anytime soon with the U.K. Dates, is there a turning point opportunity for the guitars in the band?

Boz / Alain have never gotten along as documented by Moz in his autobiography. Now Boz is out for family / other reasons, and Alain for now has been playing rythm, do we think Alain may return as lead guitar? Especially now Boz’s musical director position is persona non grata.

Moz has played a lot of songs recently that are Alain-Moz compositions, with the wonderful sound of Alain’s playing coming back (albeit not his lead sound), could Moz change his mind?

I assume a lot of Bonfire songs are Jessie compositions, but now Alain is back writing and playing for Moz, could we see the order shakeup?

I also note the sound difference, there is that Latin twang on work from 2014+ onwards from Tobias, Gustavo and Mando (not sure what happened to him). Now Alain is back in the fold, I think we may get back a proper return to 1994-2005 guitar rock and roll
This is a really great question. It would be sensible for Whyte to keep going with leading because honestly, Tobias is too bullishly noisy which slides out of context ….. which Boz appeared to keep moderated. Without Alain would be tragic…. I mean him and Moz are practically The Smiths revisited.

Boz had a tendency to settle into just strumming chords a lot of the time, but looking at the recent live videos from Vegas, things already seem to have changed. It's Alain playing the lead break in 'I Am Veronica', Alain doing the higher lead part at the end of 'Our Frank' ,Alain and Jesse pretty much sharing the lead part on The Loop whilst Gustavo is doing the strumming etc.

The days of having one clearly defined rhythm guitarist, and one lead guitarist already seems to be over - Alain and Jesse are sharing the duties between them fairly equally already, as far as I can see.

Even though I don't particularly care for Jesse, I think it would be kind of a dick move to move him off lead just because Alain's back. Although yeah that would be awesome.

‘a proper return’ ? I think Morrissey should get rid of Alain, and add another keyboardist. I mean, that’s if Alain refuses to switch to keyboards instead of playing guitar, I think he would.

Would be a good move going forward with more electronic sounds, more bleeps and bloops, rather than go backwards. Why not?

Lol ………….. :handpointdown:

Last edited:
‘a proper return’ ? I think Morrissey should get rid of Alain, and add another keyboardist. I mean, that’s if Alain refuses to switch to keyboards instead of playing guitar, I think he would.

Would be a good move going forward with more electronic sounds, more bleeps and bloops, rather than go backwards. Why not?
Newer stuff then…. In particular WPINOYB…. Lots of bleeps bloops blops there…..

I wouldn’t mind more electronic stuff. But please, not electronic as in Joe Chicarelli cacophony. I could definitely hear Moz in an early a-ha type setting (ie The Sun Always Shines on TV and Stay On These Roads). That would fit him perfectly.

I wouldn’t mind more electronic stuff. But please, not electronic as in Joe Chicarelli cacophony. I could definitely hear Moz in an early a-ha type setting (ie The Sun Always Shines on TV and Stay On These Roads). That would fit him perfectly.
Always loved those first a-ha albums. Come to think of it, they’ve been pretty consistently good throughout their career. Hunting High And Low especially is a fantastic listen.

I think Morrissey should get rid of Alain, and add another keyboardist. I mean, that’s if Alain refuses to switch to keyboards instead of playing guitar, I think he would.Would be a good move going forward with more electronic sounds, more bleeps and bloops, rather than go backwards. Why not?
Both Alain and Jesse need to switch to keytar. Keytar is the future.
800px-Jean_Michel_Jarre_-_Roland_AX-Synth.jpg

I was never a Jesse fan as a music player and as a person
My mind was changed, somewhat, the moment he did " I Thought You Were Dead " , I think that and River Clean are two of M's best tracks since the 90s
However, It's clear Jesse kills Smiths' songs stone dead, he just hasn't got the chops. To be fair to him Alain and Boz also struggled for years trying to recapture them. They have had a lot of practice now and so do quite a good job.
The fact Jesse was considered less than great, made people reevaluate Alain's work- a bit like the effect Trump had on George Bush - when Trump got in, suddenly people started saying Bush, wasn't that bad.

I have no idea what will happen, the competition is good for the fans as it will make Alain and Jesse will work extra hard.
In the 90s both Alain and Boz were often criticised by fans but I thought it was a bit unfair. It was a shame Alain went when he did he seemed to have been on a roll he did Life Is A Pigstye, Ganglord, I Have Forgiven Jesus and so on .
Im really looking forward to hearing his new songs.

Always loved those first a-ha albums. Come to think of it, they’ve been pretty consistently good throughout their career. Hunting High And Low especially is a fantastic listen.
Yes! Great to “meet” another a-ha fan. Such an underrated band. Hunting High and Low and Scoundrel Days are their best work, but like you say, they’ve made great stuff throughout the years. They released a new single this past Friday and it was beautiful.

I wish

Yes! Great to “meet” another a-ha fan. Such an underrated band. Hunting High and Low and Scoundrel Days are their best work, but like you say, they’ve made great stuff throughout the years. They released a new single this past Friday and it was beautiful.
always loved aha,so many great songs which i never seem to get bored of,You Are The One is probably my favourite as it is so catchy,fun video as well.and they always speak highly of M.

These are easily two of their most beautiful songs:

There’s a good book about them called Down to the Tracks, which is similar to Mozipedia. It talks about all their songs and solo work, some of which I’d never heard of before.

These are easily two of their most beautiful songs:

There’s a good book about them called Down to the Tracks, which is similar to Mozipedia. It talks about all their songs and solo work, some of which I’d never heard of before.

Yes! Two fantastic songs. My favorite is Stay On These Roads, but these are gorgeous.
Had no idea about that book! Need to check it out.

always loved aha,so many great songs which i never seem to get bored of,You Are The One is probably my favourite as it is so catchy,fun video as well.and they always speak highly of M.
Great to hear, Gordy! And I’ve always felt they have much more in common with Moz and, like, Echo and the Bunnymen, than say Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet which they are often lumped together with.

Probably the most underrated mainstream band still in existence.

Thirty seven years, ten albums later and millions of album sales later and most Americans still think that they're a one hit wonder.

Moz would kill for their sales figures.

Back
Top Bottom