Aging sucks...

• Thread starter The Original J.T. Ripper
  • Start date
T

The Original J.T. Ripper

I know there's any number of things one could cite about how life gets better as one gets older, but frankly I got a bit bummed last night (actually it was this morning, roughly 2AM) when I sat at my dining room table with my laptop and played the Oye Esteban DVD all the way through.

We all know Morrissey has aged a bit, but I notice it quite a bit as respects Alain and Boz. I'm thinking of the Irish Blood English Heart video, in which Alain appears to be pushing 50, overweight, and with a haze over his eyes that almost looks like a drugged stupor. Boz as we all know has put on so much weight it's scary -- and ditto Moz.

The videos on Oye that really struck home were Boy Racer and a few from the Your Arsenal album (We Hate It When..., Tomorrow) -- in particular, seeing Alain on Boy Racer all trim in his form-fitting black t-shirt with just absolute loads of energy in his guitar playing... what a difference 9-10 years makes :-/ I guess it just makes me sad. It's a fact of life, this I know -- and of course we're all thrilled to have YATQ out as it's a decent (if very good) album and Moz still has all the charm and wit as he always has had. But it's still a bit depressing regardless.

In fact, the one guy who barely looks like he's changed at all is Gary Day -- you see him in IBEH and he looks exactly like he did on the Your Arsenal videos.

Not to depress people or to appear an ingrate, just random thoughts after another run-through of Oye Esteban (and, of *course*, Introducing Morrissey --- when in the HELL is that going to see the light of DVD day?!?)

Cheerio,
J.T.

> I know there's any number of things one could cite about how life gets
> better as one gets older, but frankly I got a bit bummed last night
> (actually it was this morning, roughly 2AM) when I sat at my dining room
> table with my laptop and played the Oye Esteban DVD all the way through.

> We all know Morrissey has aged a bit, but I notice it quite a bit as
> respects Alain and Boz. I'm thinking of the Irish Blood English Heart
> video, in which Alain appears to be pushing 50, overweight, and with a
> haze over his eyes that almost looks like a drugged stupor. Boz as we all
> know has put on so much weight it's scary -- and ditto Moz.

> The videos on Oye that really struck home were Boy Racer and a few from
> the Your Arsenal album (We Hate It When..., Tomorrow) -- in particular,
> seeing Alain on Boy Racer all trim in his form-fitting black t-shirt with
> just absolute loads of energy in his guitar playing... what a difference
> 9-10 years makes :-/ I guess it just makes me sad. It's a fact of life,
> this I know -- and of course we're all thrilled to have YATQ out as it's a
> decent (if very good) album and Moz still has all the charm and wit as he
> always has had. But it's still a bit depressing regardless.

> In fact, the one guy who barely looks like he's changed at all is Gary Day
> -- you see him in IBEH and he looks exactly like he did on the Your
> Arsenal videos.

> Not to depress people or to appear an ingrate, just random thoughts after
> another run-through of Oye Esteban (and, of *course*, Introducing
> Morrissey --- when in the HELL is that going to see the light of DVD
> day?!?)

> Cheerio,
> J.T.
Hello- I don't know how old you are or anything about you- but I too was kind of taken aback at Boz's weight gain when I saw him on the Kilborn show. I almost didn't recognize him! Gary Day does look pretty much the same. Mozzer has just filled out- he hasn't gotten fat by ANY means- it's just something that unfortunately happens when you get older. Your metabolism slows wayyyyy down, and when you look in the mirror, you find you don't recognize yourself anymore. I'm 42- and I am definitely more curvaceous (not fat) than I was when I was 22. I am a woman,and that's perfectly natural. It's also more difficult for older people to lose weight because of their metabolism slowing down. Men have always been able (pretty much) to lose and gain weight quickly, whilst women have a harder time. Alain does look a bit different- another surprise too. But it's all a fact of life, and you unfortunately cannot change it. All I can say is, be happy within yourself, and when the time comes for you, you'll be ready. ( also Moz and the lads drink a fair bit, and that's totally fattening. ) I personally think Mozzer looks more stately and handsome than ever, and exudes a different kind of stage presence- one that COMMANDS RESPECT. Just a few thoughts. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom