Advanced genius theory: are they out of their minds or ahead of their time?

T

therightone

Is Morrissey ahead of his time and an Advanced artist?

Perhaps not under this set of guidelines...

A few years back I got a call from Chuck Klosterman, who was writing an article about my Theory of Advancement. He had heard about the theory from mutual colleagues at Spin magazine but felt as though he hadn’t quite grasped it yet. The theory is an alternative explanation for the supposed inevitable decline of artistic genius, particularly rock ‘n’ roll genius. Its central premise is that artists like Bob Dylan and Lou Reed didn’t suddenly start to stink in the 1980s but had, instead, advanced beyond most people’s comprehension. If an artist like Reed was ahead of his time in the 1960s, the theory goes, it is plausible that he was still ahead of his time in the 1980s, when most people mistakenly thought he “lost it.”

Over the years, Britt Bergman (the co-creator of the theory) and I developed guidelines for what it takes to be Advanced:

* The artist must have done great work for more than 15 years — plenty of artists can make a few good records, but it takes a genius to stick around 15 years.
* The artist must have alienated his or her original fans — the Advanced thrive on change, especially in ways that annoy the people that like them the most. Think Dylan’s going electric.
* The artist must be completely unironic — Advancement only works when the artist seems to be the only one who isn’t in on the joke, because it is only later that people realize there is no joke.
* The artist must be unpredictable — Advanced artists don’t do what is expected of them, but they don’t do the opposite of what is expected of them either.
* The artist must “lose it,” spectacularly — the Advanced never go away, with each new project seeming more impossibly self-indulgent, grandiose, and out-of-touch than the last. For example, the last fifteen years of Michael Jackson’s life.

People’s first reaction when hearing about Advancement is to dismiss it as a joke. But it is a serious belief, and embracing it can be revelatory.

(Jason Hartley gives examples of artists that represent his best attempt to help you understand Advancement)

http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/living-with-music-jason-hartley/?hp

Re: Advanced genius heory: are they out of their minds or ahead of their time?

:rolleyes:

Occam's Razor is without doubt applicable here:

When a great artist's "later period" music sucks, it sucks because they've totally lost the plot (if only temporarily). The music is often incomprehensible, but only because it's fallen so far behind, not sprinted so far ahead, of what the artist is capable of.

There's no other way to explain Bowie and Jagger's Dancing in the Street; that video was embarrassingly lame when it came out, and is unwatchable now. Of course Jagger could never dance anyway - he's the most inelegant man in rock 'n roll. Bowie had no excuse.

As for Morrissey, he doesn't really suck, but if he does any more songs like To Me You Are A Work of Art or Sorry Doesn't Help, I'd be willing to revisit the theory that he's finally advanced beyond his fans' ability to understand him. I'm kinda hopeless that way. ;)

There is no way that Morrissey can be considered an advanced artist, by these guidelines. For starters, he's in no way ahead of the times--even he would agree with that.

Some other modern musicians who can be considered advanced artists:
  • Prince
  • John Lennon
  • Sinead O'Connor (yes, really)
  • Elvis Costello

Others?

Frank Zappa would be on this list, except that he's hardly unironic.

There is no way that Morrissey can be considered an advanced artist, by these guidelines. For starters, he's in no way ahead of the times--even he would agree with that.

Some other modern musicians who can be considered advanced artists:
  • Prince
  • John Lennon
  • Sinead O'Connor (yes, really)
  • Elvis Costello

Others?

Frank Zappa would be on this list, except that he's hardly unironic.

John Lennon is probably the best example of a truly advanced artist (by these criteria).

When they mentioned Sting in the article I stopped taking them seriously; I saw the lute coming a mile away.

I would put Genesis P. Orrige on that list too, except for the fact that he's been so many light years ahead of the game for so long, his fans never understood him in the first place. :thumb:

I bet Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison would have been on that list, had they lived.

John Lennon is probably the best example of a truly advanced artist (by these criteria).

When they mentioned Sting in the article I stopped taking them seriously; I saw the lute coming a mile away.

But I do give the author credit for not mentioning Bono.

I would put Genesis P. Orrige on that list too, except for the fact that he's been so many light years ahead of the game for so long, his fans never understood him in the first place. :thumb:

Wait, who?

I bet Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison would have been on that list, had they lived.

Hendrix, maybe. I can't see him alienating his fans, though--he could probably have played country and gotten away with it. Morrison, no way.

Wait, who?

Gen P is the father of industrial music (well, the mother these days). S/he's been on the cutting edge for so long that no one has ever caught up with him/her. Now THAT's hyper-advanced genius.

Hendrix, maybe. I can't see him alienating his fans, though--he could probably have played country and gotten away with it.

I think you have a point there.

Morrison, no way.

Way

Back
Top Bottom