Abrahan Garza interviews Morrissey for the Houston Press

Morrissey Speaks: "Give In to Numbness... You've Earned it."
"Can someone check on Abrahán Garza. Is he doing OK?"

— random Facebook status update from a friend

When word came through in December that Morrissey had cancelled Houston (yes, again), the texts and private messages starting rolling in. When I saw footage where the beloved singer had actually appeared in front of a sold-out crowd in Boulder, Colorado to explain that the show simply could not go on and why, I knew his show would not be happening five days later in Houston.

I've been a Morrissey fan for many, many years. To some people, I am "That Morrissey guy." I held a Smiths and Morrissey Trivia Night at Rudyard's in January and left an entire room of fans completely stumped in the bonus round. I was recently asked how many times I had seen Morrissey and which concert was my favorite. My answer was: "The last one is usually the best. Morrissey has still got it."

see more:
http://www.houstonpress.com/music/morrissey-speaks-give-in-to-numbness-youve-earned-it-9253201

Top work Abrahan, a resident of this parish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good interview that la'

finally some fun questions thrown in there. And some revealing answers ! ....

You were recently spotted at the BMG Offices in London. Can you shed light on that visit?
Yes, I own an industrial cleaning company and we had arrived to tidy up the offices. That was fake news by the way.

Yes. Great questions. Gone was the defensive and agitated Moz. Great job, Abrahan!

Better interview than the usual, but can anyone translate this into simple English for me?

Morrissey said:
At the earlier shows it was easier to meet people because the eBay fraternity hadn't quite kicked-in and spoiled everything.

Is there a Morrissey song you've ever thought of re-recording?
There is a Smiths song I loved called "I Want the One I Can't Have," but the recorded vocal was terrible, and if not for the vocal I think it could have been a big hit. It's shocking when you're the one who let's the team down.

I appreciate this thread---two days in a row with interviews...luxury! But I digress...
I thought this interview to be quite revealing....especially here. I don't believe I've ever heard M. use such phrasing in an interview (albeit incorrectly transcribed, grammatically)....letting 'the team' down. Could be because it was for a Houston audience, and Texas is all about football, before I get ahead of myself.

Better interview than the usual, but can anyone translate this into simple English for me?

I think he means the autograph seekers in the crowds only looking to sell em on ebay. Not true fans.

As one of the first 10 people in the door for the Record Rack signing, I saw myself in those newsclips a few times. Luckily, I was not interviewed! ;-) I still have great memories (and my signed 12" of You're the One for Me Fatty) of that signing and the Astroworld show, Dallas, and the cancelled Austin show where we met Boz, Gary, and Alain. Formative years.

Great interview. I feel like Morrissey recognized you were knowledgeable (and in the fold) and took a different tone with you.

well done abrahan. better questions than most. hey, i remember your morrissey poster in the window of houston press office years ago. always made me smile....

These two interview posts are refreshing! Laid back, casual and great example questions of how to approach a creative artist.

I think he means the autograph seekers in the crowds only looking to sell em on ebay. Not true fans.

Yeah I assume it's hey. An you sign my cd and the twenty seven others I brought with me crowd he's referring to.

Wasn't expecting this at all. Funny when morrisseys mentions his cleaning company I'm reminded of that interview where he says he doesn't like the name moz as it sounds like some kind of cleanser. Probably the brand he uses

Yeah I assume it's hey. An you sign my cd and the twenty seven others I brought with me crowd he's referring to.

Wasn't expecting this at all. Funny when morrisseys mentions his cleaning company I'm reminded of that interview where he says he doesn't like the name moz as it sounds like some kind of cleanser. Probably the brand he uses

Just remember him saying that Moz sounds like a racehorse.

I misread his question. It is oddly phrased. I think he meant the guitar solo can't be in the intro or the outro. Oh well my version of the question is more fun. The only Morrissey song I know that does not have an outro would be "There Speaks A True Friend". I remember the first time I ever played the song and it cut off I thought my Walkman had dead batteries. It was not until I played it again with fresh batteries that I realized it was just made that way.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom