About the end of "DMFODV"

Cudweed

In the end of Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice, Morrissey is singing something like: "No te divertes con pappy ..." I suppose it's Italian, but not sure. Anyway, does any one know what that mean? Cudweed

Thanks Kewpie. I've just checked out the link above. And now I'm wondering how funny that would have been Danish, my mother tongue. Then it would have went like: "Fornøj dig ikke med far." :D That's quite funny ... Cudweed

Yeah, that's spanish, but a very lousy and funny one!!! The right translation to Don't make fun of daddy's voice, would be: "No te burles de la voz de papi".

At the risk of killing the thread, let's turn it into a game where we translate the phrase into different languages! Here's Latin:

"noli vocem paterculi deridere."

Or Ancient Greek:

"me katagela ten phemen ten tou patridiou."

:)

I remember reading (on Passions Just Like Mine) that he said "Most people think this is spanish, but I attempt to sing my own language which very few people know about".

Speaking of Passions... where did that website go? whahappend?!

Yeah, that's spanish, but a very lousy and funny one!!! The right translation to Don't make fun of daddy's voice, would be: "No te burles de la voz de papi".

Exactly! and that phrase "no te divertes con papi" the actual translation to english would be "you don't have fun with daddy" which is very diferent from "don't make fun of daddy's voice"

Maybe Morrissey later knew that his translation was awful, so he said (as someone said before me) that he's speaking his own language there...

I remember he once said that the only word he knows in spanish is Mexico (which isn't really spanish huh?) and in the WPTMIM DVD he says "Arriba!"

I remember he once said that the only word he knows in spanish is Mexico (which isn't really spanish huh?) and in the WPTMIM DVD he says "Arriba!"

He also knows "Gracias" in Spanish. He said it several times in FIB concert last year.
And he knows what "guapo" means because when a girl shouted that word to him at that same concert, he made a shy face and said "Don't say that too loudly. There are lots of medications for such things" :D

Jeg ville mene, at "fornøj dig ikke med far" ville give nogle forkerte og, i forhold til sangen, lettere forskruede associationer. "Gør ikke nar af farmand" eller noget tilsvarende ville være mere korrekt.

*Sorry about my writing in Danish, guys... I SWEAR that what I wrote isn't the least bit interesting... :)

Ja måske har du ret, men lad os lige få på det rene hvad vi oversætter. Det synes at du tager omkvædet. Min oversættelse er baseret på følgende oversættelse af outroen:"No te diviertes con papi" = "don't amuse yourself with daddy". Tjek linket foroven ...

Yeah, sorry about my typing in Danish, too - there's just something that Aurora & I have to get straight here ... & erh, my comment was actually rather interesting, so .. erh ... yeah, sorry about that, boys & girls. - Should I be sorry? :rolleyes: Cudweed

He also knows "Gracias" in Spanish. He said it several times in FIB concert last year.
And he knows what "guapo" means because when a girl shouted that word to him at that same concert, he made a shy face and said "Don't say that too loudly. There are lots of medications for such things" :D

I can see that you're from Barcelona so we can speak spanish (just like the guys above us speaking danish)

Lo de "Arriba!" que dije en el DVD Who put the M in Manchester no era de ahi, me confundi, era de su show aca en Chile el año 2004, pero lo importante es que lo dijo. Tambien dijo "argentina" y "peru" y bromeando con el nombre de chile dijo "i hope you're not too chilly, though you're in chile".

Eso seria, saludos!

Felipe.

In a few shows from 2000 he also sang ''Mañana'' instead of ''Tomorrow''. :D

That's nice, so he can say "Mañana", "Arriba!", "Guapo" (maybe, we don't know yet), "mexico" (which isn't spanish really)... and, nothing more.

who knows more?

have you heard morrissey speaking in spanish?

King Leer:

"...with a homeless chihuahua..."

chihuahua is a little dog and i think the name comes from the same language than "mexico".

something else?

To be fair, I don't believe it was ever intended to be a direct translation of the songs title.

Back
Top Bottom