About 1 week left on the tour.. what's next?

bored

not bitter but bored
The last date of the tour is about a week away.

Will Morrissey add more dates?
Will he get a record deal?
Will he just go and vanish for a while?
Will it be something else?

What's next?

I'd rather post what I think he should do.

Take some time out and try to sort things out, Moz. It's been a turbulent time in the Moz-camp recently. Just check out the other threads:straightface:. It's obvious.

But probably he'll add some dates in the US and maybe in the UK/Europe.

Signs of a new record deal are pretty much nonexisting.

Maybe he will just get his biography published and that's it? The strange thing is I realise that I'm getting older and the heroes of my youth could retire, too. Something you refuse to think about.

For what it's worth...I'm not sure a record deal is there. Smiths reunion, even with Johnny alone? Don't think so. Not now. I'd be happy to be proved spectacularly wrong on both points. The book - yes. Then what? I don't know. There might just come a time when you need some friends.

P.

For what it's worth...I'm not sure a record deal is there. Smiths reunion, even with Johnny alone? Don't think so. Not now. I'd be happy to be proved spectacularly wrong on both points. The book - yes. Then what? I don't know. There might just come a time when you need some friends.

P.

the book would be great but is more than a year away.

i know the record deal isn't there right now.. but there wasn't really a deal before YATQ and one suddenly appeared.

comments on what he should do are also relevant to this thread.

I definately don't think he needs a break, hope he get's a deal and new material then a autumn/winter UK bash.

As long as he keeps his dander up for another week and see's out Brixton and the Palladium, I will be more than happy with his summers worth of business :)

Perhaps take some time off. Sit with Tobias and Boorer and concentrate on material. As great as he thinks that his next album is, he has the chance to continue songwriting with the collaborators that he has chosen and perhaps offer even better material. The Beastie Boys were going to release Hot Sauce Committee 1 and 2 in 2010 and 2011. After Adam Yauch's cancer scare they scrapped HSC#1 and released HSC#2 with even better material that they had originally intended due to the amount of time that had passed.

I'm not one of the many Tobias haters round here (his best stuff is easily better than Boorer and Whyte's worst) but unfortunately I would not have much faith in the quality of an album that relied on Boorer and Tobias contributions alone unless Boorer has rediscovered his magical NMHIF/JTR/S form (which doesn't seem to be the case from the new songs we've heard).
To have a half decent album, Morrissey needs contributions from Whyte, to have a genuinely great album, he'll need to get Street back on board (assuming he still has his Viva Hate era songwriting skills).
Generally, though, Morrissey needs to keep a really low media profile over the coming months. The last 3 months have been an absolute PR car crash - possibly the worst period in his career (which is saying something).

Once he finishes the tour he will make love to a Calvin Klein model.

Aussie tour please.

Once he finishes the tour he will make love to a Calvin Klein model.

6003747492_6953a63633.jpg

the book would be great but is more than a year away.

Bored, just out of curiosity, do you say this because he'll have to shop around for a publisher, or is this how long it generally takes to get a book published? (I'm clueless :squiffy:) I'm ever hopeful for the book but I worry that with a track record of fusspot tendencies (in terms of management, record companies) like Morrissey's it may never come to fruition...

I guess he got money enough then he can get away again 'til he needs money again. I'm fed up about it.

Bored, just out of curiosity, do you say this because he'll have to shop around for a publisher, or is this how long it generally takes to get a book published? (I'm clueless :squiffy:) I'm ever hopeful for the book but I worry that with a track record of fusspot tendencies (in terms of management, record companies) like Morrissey's it may never come to fruition...

He said in a recent print interview that he was aiming for it to be out towards the end of next year. I think it was with either Billboard or Rolling Stone.

It's probably time to assess what Morrissey has achieved with the tour this year.

It seems that all the venues have been sold out. Abet smaller venues but Morrissey is still a class act who draws a crowd. Morrissey is singing stronger than previous tours. Only four new songs have been played. General consensus is that two are passable, although both show a significant drop in quality from the Morrissey standards of the past. Morrissey fans seem to be split between either liking Jessie Tobias or others seeing him as the worse person for Morrissey to hang around with. It's safe to say that Jessie is firmly able to influence Morrissey with his compositions.

I'd be surprised if there is an American tour. I don't know who in Morrissey's camp would finance it. I don't see Morrissey willing to dig deep into his own finances to support it. A 52 year old singer, with a shrinking fan base and with very little new music is going to struggle to get a record deal. You only have to look at the world economy to get the bigger picture.

To my knowledge the only media Morrissey did was Janice Long and the interview in The Observer (?). His comments and actions this tour have been right clangers. Although he despises the royals, he's fast becoming more and more like Prince Philip! The comments after the shootings in Norway were just insensitive at this moment in time. Banning David T I felt shows Morrissey starting to become a bit detached from the world around him.

There comes a moment when all artists need to become self critical. To step back and look at what they are producing. I feel that Morrissey hasn't done that yet. I hope it will come soon.

Live DVD , please....
Cheers Moz

I'm not one of the many Tobias haters round here (his best stuff is easily better than Boorer and Whyte's worst) but unfortunately I would not have much faith in the quality of an album that relied on Boorer and Tobias contributions alone unless Boorer has rediscovered his magical NMHIF/JTR/S form (which doesn't seem to be the case from the new songs we've heard).
To have a half decent album, Morrissey needs contributions from Whyte, to have a genuinely great album, he'll need to get Street back on board (assuming he still has his Viva Hate era songwriting skills).
Generally, though, Morrissey needs to keep a really low media profile over the coming months. The last 3 months have been an absolute PR car crash - possibly the worst period in his career (which is saying something).

Agreed mostly, except for this part
I'm not one of the many Tobias haters round here (his best stuff is easily better than Boorer and Whyte's worst)
....examples?

Back
Top Bottom