Abba reunion

I'm thrilled that they got back together and recorded new songs, but as far as I'm concerned (and I may be a lone voice) this whole, 'Abbatars' tour/concept is just a grisly side show to the main event (their new songs), whereas Bjorn and Benny seem to think it's the other way round. Then again, I loathe the 'Mamma Mia' musical/movie. It's tedious to me that a band who were just downright great always have to have their legacy filtered through a lens of supposedly sophisticated camp irony. Not that I'm saying the Abbatars tour will be like, but I'll wager it will attract that crowd and that kind of media coverage.

Still sounding great. Credit where due. Pop icons indeed. :thumb:

Still sounding great. Credit where due. Pop icons indeed. :thumb:
On first listen, the second is better than the first (the latter's really let down by some cheap horn samples). Will have to listen a few more times before I reach a judgement.
For now, I'll bide my time with perhaps their crowning moment (along with "The Day Before You Came").

Just seen that on the news, it implied that they are playing at the Olympic Stadium in London, might have try and get a ticket for that!!

I have seen that it's a virtual concert ? sounds like utter rubbish, a glorified disco surely !

On first listen, the second is better than the first (the latter's really let down by some cheap horn samples). Will have to listen a few more times before I reach a judgement.
For now, I'll bide my time with perhaps their crowning moment (along with "The Day Before You Came").

Regardless, they'll make wodges of cash. Moz's merch sales will pale into insignificance :lbf:. The world love's ABBA & this news will send many into hysteria. They're absolutely huge, of course.

The two songs are just so-so, not vintage Abba at all. They also don't capture the Abba 'sound' to my mind, but I think that sound was largely the work of their engineer, Michael Tretow(?), who I believe has passed on.

As for the 'Abba-tars', they're even worse than I thought they'd be - I expected them to be creepy, which they are, but they're also a bit f**cking scary!

A few of the reviews are congratulating them on not trying to sound like their younger selves, which I think is odd, as these songs - production issue aside - sound to me like they're picking up exactly where they left off; in fact, these sound like outtakes from 'Super Trouper' or 'The Visitors', or the B-sides of that era.

I'm still glad they got together and recorded some songs though. And there's still the rest of the album to look forward to. Who knows, they might even do another album if this one fares well!

My young daughter loves ABBA even the awful musical/films. I introduced her to their music about 4 years ago when she was listening to crap like Katy Perry. I told her if she was going to listen to pop music, she should listen to the masters.

Just seen that on the news, it implied that they are playing at the Olympic Stadium in London, might have try and get a ticket for that!!
Yes; I received an email advising of the virtual shows and notified that there would soon be some bigger news. I’m assuming that the bigger news wasn’t the new LP, and that there might actually be some proper live shows in the pipeline?

The electropop band, Erasure use to start singing the first verse to Money, Money, Money on stage which then went into Gimme!Gimme! Gimme! a Man After Midnight. Pure genius. Obviously Andy Bell gave it a camp twist 😀

Back
Top Bottom