A.V. club review by Josh Modell - IANADOAC (Grade: B-)

Like it says. The reviewer really seemed upset about the suicide lines (people really seem to take it literally) and hates the secret of music (I’ll disagree) but it’s a good review. Maybe it’s morrisseys public image that makes people take the suicide lines so seriously but as say a mindless self indulgence fan who have so many songs that say kill you self I find it hard to be bothered by it

as say a mindless self indulgence fan who have so many songs that say kill you self I find it hard to be bothered by it

Leaving aside the grammar here, why don't you go ahead and list all those songs you have in mind ("...so many songs that say kill you self..."). There must be loads. You said so.

So, are we also supposed to ignore his seemingly clear instruction to stop watching and reading the news? And to abstain from voting in elections? Very questionable instructions, but I'm sure he intended for them to be followed as enthusiastically as 'meat is murder'.

Msi - kill yourself

Msi - you’ll rebel to anything

The second song which has the line you should invest in a bottle of poison so we don’t have to listen to your bitchin and moaning is off there I believe number one album here in the states. It also goes on to say in the chorus how nobody really believes that they’ll really slit there wrists and that they’re just full of sh!t. Fantastic band. Saw them live once. Oh and a thousand thanks for your pardon on my grammar from the self made king of petty judgements

Another song where hes singing a song meant to be funny saying kill yourself with four million views. Bo somebody or other. It’s clearly a joke song but how could they dare make a joke out of suicide. I mean what if some soul only listens to the first four lines (oh no).

brand new - seventy times seven

Thats a song where he hopes she drinks and drives and crashes her car into a tree hoping she thinks about him before she dies.there are a bunch of songs about wishing death murder fantasies (i mean look at Eminem. How has he it been run out of town yet. Of killer mike for that matter saying how much he’s happy Reagan’s dead) and I’m sure you’re just as against all of these people as well as those who say morrissey should get cornona or just die already. I mean you’re such a good person. You’re saving everybody

So, are we also supposed to ignore his seemingly clear instruction to stop watching and reading the news? And to abstain from voting in elections? Very questionable instructions, but I'm sure he intended for them to be followed as enthusiastically as 'meat is murder'.

He said he'd reccomend not reading the news & when you vote you support the process, those are not instructions.

There also isn't any instructions in Meat Is Murder. He just says it's murder.

Another song where hes singing a song meant to be funny saying kill yourself with four million views. Bo somebody or other. It’s clearly a joke song but how could they dare make a joke out of suicide. I mean what if some soul only listens to the first four lines (oh no).

brand new - seventy times seven

Thats a song where he hopes she drinks and drives and crashes her car into a tree hoping she thinks about him before she dies.there are a bunch of songs about wishing death murder fantasies (i mean look at Eminem. How has he it been run out of town yet. Of killer mike for that matter saying how much he’s happy Reagan’s dead) and I’m sure you’re just as against all of these people as well as those who say morrissey should get cornona or just die already. I mean you’re such a good person. You’re saving everybody

Thank you for destroying that obnoxious troll Skinny. He challenged you and you passed with flying colours.

The reviewer should realise that Jim Jim Falls is possibly Morrissey addressing himself.

The man who wrote 'Asleep' knows all about the subject.

The reviewer should realise that Jim Jim Falls is possibly Morrissey addressing himself.

It's also too aggressive a song to encourage suicide. Asleep is probably far more dangerous because it's so sad. But I don't believe anyone would kill themselves or even be pushed over the edge by a song. It has to be something in their life to push them to that extreme.

And at least a Morrissey song will never give you FOMO.

He said he'd reccomend not reading the news & when you vote you support the process, those are not instructions.

There also isn't any instructions in Meat Is Murder. He just says it's murder.
OK, but that's just pedantry!
Point is, he often sings with a rare directness (which we love), and whilst some songs just bemoan the way of things, others seek to influence other ppl's behaviour. Like the notable examples given. I can't distinguish a difference in tone Jim Jim vs Spent the Day in Bed. That is to say, as someone pretty familiar with his work, Jim Jim sounds serious.
Ppl saying, no he's not encouraging suicide, that would be ridiculous. But the evidence of the song leads me to agree with the original review.
As to likelihood of somebody following the 'advice' to "Get on with it"....
I don't think that's a defence.
Also
I've found that it's not that easy to persuade meat-eaters to turn vegetarian. M was famously successful at this.
On the other hand, there are plenty of tragic instances of young, depressed ppl being all too open to persuasion to 'get on with it'.

OK, but that's just pedantry!
Point is, he often sings with a rare directness (which we love), and whilst some songs just bemoan the way of things, others seek to influence other ppl's behaviour. Like the notable examples given. I can't distinguish a difference in tone Jim Jim vs Spent the Day in Bed. That is to say, as someone pretty familiar with his work, Jim Jim sounds serious.
Ppl saying, no he's not encouraging suicide, that would be ridiculous. But the evidence of the song leads me to agree with the original review.
As to likelihood of somebody following the 'advice' to "Get on with it"....
I don't think that's a defence.
Also
I've found that it's not that easy to persuade meat-eaters to turn vegetarian. M was famously successful at this.
On the other hand, there are plenty of tragic instances of young, depressed ppl being all too open to persuasion to 'get on with it'.

Would he want his listeners to die?

Would he want his listeners to die?
Also, yes, based on his 2013 reaction, which I wasn't aware of but is linked to in the review. Not saying he wants the non-suicidal listeners to die

Some would say he would enjoy wielding power in that way.

If he wants to kill people I'm not sure he'd wait till he was 60 & do it via song. Has anyone checked under his patio?

Also, yes, based on his 2013 reaction, which I wasn't aware of but is linked to in the review. Not saying he wants the non-suicidal listeners to die

People argue over whether suicide is brave or cowardly, or taking control over death or losing it.

It's not the same as actively wanting people to kill themselves.

It sounds like Jesus said to Judas, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”

I agree - also "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"

Whether it's to himself, I don't know, but I think most people have doubts before releasing their personal art to a world where everyone is a critic

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom