a REAL Smiths fan for David Cameron

It could be said that there's no such thing as a class system in Britain any more. Well, not one that's easily definable anyway.

A minority upper class, a majority, wishy-washy middle class and then what some people refer to as 'the underclass.' Either the working class are obsolete or the boundaries have just changed.

The upper class though, well, they can just f**k off.

It could be said that there's no such thing as a class system in Britain any more. Well, not one that's easily definable anyway.

A minority upper class, a majority, wishy-washy middle class and then what some people refer to as 'the underclass.' Either the working class are obsolete or the boundaries have just changed.

The upper class though, well, they can just f**k off.

I don't know if what you say about the class system is true or not, but if a revolution ever comes along-- it may well not-- its ranks will be full of young people born after The Smiths split up, couldn't live without their iPods, love their lattes, and buy their t-shirts at the mall. Contradictions are to be expected, even apparently profound ones. That's why all this flap about the girl being "posh" is silly.

I don't know if what you say about the class system is true or not, but if a revolution ever comes along-- it may well not-- its ranks will be full of young people born after The Smiths split up, couldn't live without their iPods, love their lattes, and buy their t-shirts at the mall. Contradictions are to be expected, even apparently profound ones. That's why all this flap about the girl being "posh" is silly.

I'm not sure if what I say about class is true either, it's just a theory based on observation.

I'm one of those young victims of the times. (Lattes though? behave.) Would I participate in said revolution though....I'd probably just turn it on its head staying in bed to be fair.

Now apparently the girl in the photo isn't 'posh.' It shouldn't matter but for many it does... someone who was born with a silver spoon up their arse deciding to wear a Smiths t-shirt is a 'profound contradiction.' Sad but true.

What does frink mean?

It's the word used to describe Morrissey's sexiness or something. Frisky and kinky. It's an entire thread of Morrissey photos. It wasn't invented here, some other musician had a "frink" thread and a Morrissey fan started one up here. It's not an insult.

On an aesthetic and political level its a great photo. Anyone know what Mike Joyce's opinion on the photo is? I hope he's not claiming royalties.

Many people of my age who claim to be Smiths fans think the students went too far. I don't; up the civil disobedience. And I think the Royals were a legitimate target.

Now apparently the girl in the photo isn't 'posh.' It shouldn't matter but for many it does... someone who was born with a silver spoon up their arse deciding to wear a Smiths t-shirt is a 'profound contradiction.' Sad but true.

Considering that most of us unintentionally benefit from a global system of inequality and exploitation, the working definition of "hypocrite" has unfortunately loosened up quite a bit. It's not just the rich people in whom one can spot serious contradictions. But that really speaks to my point: the first thing we need to do is get past any rigid notions of who has a legitimate right to protest and who doesn't.

Considering that most of us unintentionally benefit from a global system of inequality and exploitation, the working definition of "hypocrite" has unfortunately loosened up quite a bit. It's not just the rich people in whom one can spot serious contradictions. But that really speaks to my point: the first thing we need to do is get past any rigid notions of who has a legitimate right to protest and who doesn't.

This has been an excellent thread.

In case anyone hasn't already figured it out, I completely made up her name & details. I wanted to see if people would see the photo in the same light if they thought she was posh.

And yours was an excellent post.

In case anyone hasn't already figured it out, I completely made up her name & details. I wanted to see if people would see the photo in the same light if they thought she was posh.

liar.jpeg

Just to say this thread and the one about PMQs have been hugely interesting

There hasnt been much Moz news of late but suddenly boom!

I still cannot quite believe MPs were quoting Smiths songs to each other in parliament. (Talk about strange and unexpected Moz references)

And invalid - if that is you in the pic - huge admiration both for your cause and your choice of apparel. Good luck.

I'm not really sure it's a question of 'right' to protest. Somebody from a low-income family hasn't got more of right to protest against the student fees for example, but surely they do have a licence to be angry. More of a licence than Tarquin and Tatty have because it won't effect them as deeply.

(This thread veered off-topic years ago and I'm just making it worse :o)

I'm not really sure it's a question of 'right' to protest. Somebody from a low-income family hasn't got more of right to protest against the student fees for example, but surely they do have a licence to be angry. More of a licence than Tarquin and Tatty have because it won't effect them as deeply.

(This thread veered off-topic years ago and I'm just making it worse :o)

Well, sure, I guess I was using the word loosely. Anyone has a "right" to protest. Or so it says on the old pieces of parchment with which our governments have been wiping their collective asses for the last decade. :rolleyes:

THAT IS NOT MY NAME, I'M NOT WEALTHY, I DON'T GO TO OXFORD, NOR DID I GO TO MARLBOROUGH.
I am from North Shields and will everyone please refrain from slagging me for having the gaul to wear a teeshirt?

Leave off me.
It's not nice to be linked to an internet forum where people are either calling you a posh twat ( I'm not, dunno where all that Marlborough / oxford stuff, and for that matter completely different name business is from) or insinuating that you only like the smiths because its cool.
To put your mind to rest, I have loved the smiths since I was about 14 (which is why that teeshirt is so small), but do admit to wearing it as a nod to Morrisey and Marrs recent (and about time too) dismissal a Mr Cameron as a fan.
I hope that is up to the standards of this rather intense message board.

Now I shall get back to reading for my mickey mouse degree. Goodbye.
(apologies if this should appear twice, I'm not sure what's sending and what's not.)

What if shes not even a Smiths fan.. like she bought her shirt at a thrift store... You guys are making a big deal out of nothing

Have you read a user invalid's posts?

Leave off me.
It's not nice to be linked to an internet forum where people are either calling you a posh twat ( I'm not, dunno where all that Marlborough / oxford stuff, and for that matter completely different name business is from) or insinuating that you only like the smiths because its cool.
To put your mind to rest, I have loved the smiths since I was about 14 (which is why that teeshirt is so small), but do admit to wearing it as a nod to Morrisey and Marrs recent (and about time too) dismissal a Mr Cameron as a fan.
I hope that is up to the standards of this rather intense message board.

Now I shall get back to reading for my mickey mouse degree. Goodbye.
(apologies if this should appear twice, I'm not sure what's sending and what's not.)

Well, I for one salute you. Nice one. you should be really, really proud that both Morrissey and Marr are very, very impressed by what you did.

P.

Re: That student protest picture

Don't worry, the protester in the photo can afford to hire a powerful lawyer to represent her case.

How do you know? Do you know her?

after taking another look at this photo it's starting to lose it's impact. The police seem to be oblivious to her ranting or whatever she's doing standing on that barricade. They're just standing there doing their job and she seems to be the only one in the photo in an uproar. It looks very orchestrated. I think I was initially taken in just because of the smiths t shirt and the recent silly business with David Cameron which is kinda much a do about nothing anyway. I couldn't give a shit if Hitler loved the smiths. The photo just seems a little too perfect. Someone is holding her up, no one is in the way of that perfect view of the smiths t shirt. I'm sure the sentiment is genuine but it seems staged. Take the smiths shirt out of the equation and no one would bat an eyelid including Moz & Marr.

As you can see I'm not wetting my pants like everyone else :)

Tags
north east student
Back
Top Bottom