A random hypothetical question followed by a sad poem

Which do you think is worse:

• Other? Please specify.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chica

v2.0
The poem is about puppies, but it couldn't be sadder even if it was about children :tears:

Sergey Aleksandrovich Yesenin
The Bitch

In the morning the bitch whelped
Seven reddish-brown puppies,
In the rye barn where a row
Of bast mats gleamed like gold.

Licking their pelts smooth,
And underneath her, the snow
Melted out in the heat.

But at dusk, when the hens
Were roosting on the perch,
There came the grim-faced master
Who stuffed the pups in a sack.

The bitch bounded alongside him,
Over the snow-deep fields,
And the icy surface of the water
Shuddered a long, long while.

And when at last she struggled home,
Licking the sweat from her sides,
To her the moon above the house
Seemed like one of the pups.

Whimpering loudly she gazed up
Limpidly into the dark,
While over the hill, the slender moon
Slid into the fields beyond.

And softly, as when someone,
Jesting, throws her a stone,
Her tears, like golden stars,
Trickled down into the snow.

Ok, hypothetically speaking, are we talking about taking babies away from their mothers? Because I have a story about that...

Is it morbid? Feel free to share!

No, actually I'm asking about mothers getting rid of their children... they may do it through late abortion, or a couple of months later, but how do we decide which is worse?

There should be free obstetrical care and a good system that's stigma-free for mothers to relinquish their babies safely if need be. And, comprehensive free birth control so there aren't as many unwanted babies in the first place.

But if wishes and buts were candy and nuts it'd be Christmas every day.

I don't like Russian poetry. I've read more inspired verse on the inside of Mothers Day cards. :p

I think it's clear where this poll is going (other than my ignore list). Everyone goes with the rational option ('a,' in case you were wondering) and then some zealot comes along and tells us that options a) and b) are tautologous. We have a mud-slinging contest that is only vaguely related to the original topic, and then we go away with exactly the same opinion we came in with. Yay! :p

Coiff.

I don't like Russian poetry. I've read more inspired verse on the inside of Mothers Day cards. :p

I think it's clear where this poll is going (other than my ignore list):p. Everyone goes with the rational option ('a,' in case you were wondering) and then some zealot comes along and tells us that options a) and b) are tautologous. We have a mud-slinging contest that is only vaguely relaed to the original topic, and then we go away with exactly the same opinion we came in with. Yay! :p

Coiff.

Cute, you're a breath of fresh air on this thread.

But what's the difference between a near term fetus and a newborn? The fact that the former is in the uterus? Does it make it a different being? I need a rational argument, not a religious one ;)

But what's the difference between a near term fetus and a newborn? The fact that the former is in the uterus? Does it make it a different being? I need a rational argument, not a religious one ;)

There isn't a rational one. You asked us to choose between the lesser of two evils. They're both extremely bad.

One's born, the other's not. They're both at almost identical stages of development, but I imagine it is an easier and less painful procedure - physically, for the baby, and emotionally, for the mother - when the child is inside the womb. But I don't have M.D. after my name, so I'm no expert...

Coiff.

There isn't a rational one. You asked us to choose between the lesser of two evils. They're both extremely bad.

Actually, I wanted to vote "other" because I can think of some shit that's considerably awfuller than options 1 and 2. To wit, in no particular order:

• Nuclear holocaust
  • Ethnic cleansing
  • Redneck neighbors
  • Cannibalism
  • A design error in the Large Hadron Collider
  • Game threads
  • Catholic school
  • Repeated kicks in the nuts
  • Celine Dion

Is it better to kill someone when they're asleep, or awake?

My guess is when they're asleep :eek:

I wonder if judges take that into account on murder trials.

One's born, the other's not. They're both at almost identical stages of development, but I imagine it is an easier and less painful procedure - physically, for the baby, and emotionally, for the mother - when the child is inside the womb. But I don't have M.D. after my name, so I'm no expert...

Coiff.

Could be, makes sense.

Actually, I wanted to vote "other" because I can think of some shit that's considerably awfuller than options 1 and 2. To wit, in no particular order:

• Nuclear holocaust
  • Ethnic cleansing
  • Redneck neighbors
  • Cannibalism
  • A design error in the Large Hadron Collider
  • Game threads
  • Catholic school
  • Repeated kicks in the nuts
  • Celine Dion

Why cannibalism?

Chica, your mind works in mysterious ways

I know, I used to kill hamsters when I was little :tears: