A quick questionnaire for Smith's fans

L

Liv

If you have the time, please help me with my critical research for A level Media Studies about how important image is to artists with a cult following.

1) What do you like/dislike about the way Morrissey or the smiths portray himself/themselves?

2) How genuine do you think this image is - for example, was wearing the hearing aid and sporting the quiff etc aimed to catch the interest of youths so they would follow a new trend?

3) Have you ever dressed the way Morrissey did? If so, what elements of his style did you replicate and why.

4) Did the 'Meat is Murder' album and Morrissey's views on animal rights infuence you at all? If so, in what ways.

5) What do you think it is about Morrissey's image that was so appealing to youths?

6) Are you Male/ Female

Thanks alot, if you could e-mail me your replies or post them here i'd appreciate it alot. Liv x X x

1 - Most of The Smiths and Morrissey single and album covers, but generally speaking if you haven't got the tunes the image counts for nothing.

2 - Very genuine which is why they were never mainstream trend setters as such, but a lot of hardcore fans would copy Morrisseys image.

3 - No

4 - I am a vegeatarian and pro animal rights, but this decision was not influenced by anyone else.

5 - Well although he is a very good looking fella, for me the music comes first, I've never given the image part of The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work as much consideration, although it is important in the grand scheme of things.

6 - Male

Good luck with your course.

> If you have the time, please help me with my critical research for A level
> Media Studies about how important image is to artists with a cult
> following.

> 1) What do you like/dislike about the way Morrissey or the smiths portray
> himself/themselves?

> 2) How genuine do you think this image is - for example, was wearing the
> hearing aid and sporting the quiff etc aimed to catch the interest of
> youths so they would follow a new trend?

> 3) Have you ever dressed the way Morrissey did? If so, what elements of
> his style did you replicate and why.

> 4) Did the 'Meat is Murder' album and Morrissey's views on animal rights
> infuence you at all? If so, in what ways.

> 5) What do you think it is about Morrissey's image that was so appealing
> to youths?

> 6) Are you Male/ Female

> Thanks alot, if you could e-mail me your replies or post them here i'd
> appreciate it alot. Liv x X x

> following.

> himself/themselves?

Like: As sensitive, not 'macho' (do people still use that word?), articulate, funny. Dislike: I'm a bit stuck on that one.

Oh the hearing aid was just affectation and wasn't meant to encourage copy-cats. The quiff I think is just because he likes R'n'R/ Rockabilly , James Dean and it looks good. I don't think that Morrissey sits down and thinks about how people might copy him. He just likes to look good. Thinking about the flowers thing, again, I don't think that was by design, it was just that Morrissey wanted to humanise (or herbalise?) their gigs. You can imagine these days bands have stylists and designers and decisions are made about what to wear and what haircut to have. I think Morrissey and Marr did what they liked.

Oh, I dug out my dad's old overcoat and wore that for a long time and bought a V-neck jumper in the hope that I'd replicate the 'What difference does it make?' sleeve (I can laugh about it now....). When I saw Morrissey at about the time of 'Southpaw' I wore the blue jeans with turn-ups, and bought a fake 'Lonsdale' T-shirt. I have been known to wear cardigans on a regular basis.

Oh yes. I cannot claim to be vegetarian. Compared to many, I eat very little meat though. Out of choice I eat vegetarian. I guess I just don't like to make a fuss.

> to youths?
He was/is very clever. In the era of crappy dance music it was necessary to have something with intelligence to appreciate. Below I've pasted a UK chart from August 1982. Havea look. It justifies The Smiths existance. I like Soft Cell though, (can't remember how that song went)

M

TOP 40 SINGLES

Last weeks position in Brackets
1-(-1)----Dexy's Midnight Runners------------Come On Eileen
2-(-2)----Survivor-----------------------------------Eye Of The Tiger
3-(13)----Soft Cell----------------------------------What
4-(-6)----Boystown Gang-------------------------Can't Take My Eyes Off You
5-(27)----Duran Duran-----------------------------Save A Prayer
6-(-3)----Irene Cara---------------------------------Fame
7-(26)----Kids From Fame-------------------------Hi Fidelity
8-(-4)----Yazoo---------------------------------------Don't Go
9-(12)----Toto Coelo--------------------------------I Eat Cannibals
10(33)----Haircut 100--------------------------------Nobody's Fool
11(16)----Haysi Fantayzee-------------------------John Wayne Is Big Leggy
12(-5)----Hot Chocolate----------------------------It Started With A Kiss
13(-7)----Stranglers----------------------------------Strange Little Girl
14(15)----Kool And The Gang--------------------Big Fun
15(10)----Bad Manners-----------------------------My Girl Lollipop
16(11)----Belle Stars----------------------------------The Clapping Song
17(-9)----Kid Creole And The Coconuts------------Stool Pigeon
18(-8)----Madness------------------------------------Driving In My Car
19(37)----Rockers Revenge-------------------------Walking On Sunshine
20(---)----Gary Numan---------------------------------White Boys And Heroes

> following.

> himself/themselves?
I do not like the way money has been an issue with The Smiths. That should have been done right from the beginning. How many of us would have loved to have been in The Smiths?

I think it very genuine, although I have noticed many pictures of Morrissey posing as others, James Dean comes to mind.

I did the sportcoat thing once with blue jeans with a dark polo underneath (Kill Uncle). I felt very comfortable in such clothes.

It made me think about how bad animals are treated but it never made me stop eating meat.

> to youths?
I have always said that if you are depressed, his music will make you feel more depresed but happy. If you are happy, it will make you even more happy.

Male.

my homepage
pic126460.jpg

> himself/themselves?

I like a lot of things about them, (practically everything) but above all it was Morrissey's sense of humour and twisted outlook that appealed most as it was very similar to my own.

The Smiths were 100% genuine in that everything they did and said was about what they were and what they loved. Well more genuine than any other musicians in the 80s.

Unless you count wearing the band T-shirts (as he often did) then no.

It got me thinking even more about animal rights and my own hypocritical stance at the time and about just over a year later I finally became a vegetarian.

> to youths?

Morrissey has always spoken for the disenfranchised, those who feel they are not like everyone else and are proud of it. And his intelligence and wit has always shone through.

Male.

Thank you. I hope this information proves useful.

You Are A Twat!!

Why are persons engaged in quasi/psuedo/semi academic endeavors regarding people such as Morrissey and Madonna?

Question # 2 was insulting. I take ubrage at this.

Are you a fan?

If not, f*** off!!!!

p.s. I am feeling violent today!!!!!!!!!!!

p.p.s. Should not all the f***ers at the NME be killed? What they wrote was not just bad reviews, it was hateful, slanderous, vile, and tantamount to written rape...so much so that the man had to flee the the Bloody UK. He was not even immune to these emotional air raids and psychological bludgeonings in Ireland. He had to come to my hometown, Los Angeles. Yuck!! Hollywood never embraced him and now he seems ruined. I'd like to ring some journalists necks, and I seriously mean it. I think if I was walking down the street and someone insulted Morrissey, I'd break their neck, such that even if they could afford to get it fixed, it would be beyond repair. I f***ing want to break something. And it is not about this twat who is conducting this poll, it is about all the bastards trying to drag him down all the f***ing time. You don't like his latest release? Ok, just treat him like that wanker Dave Matthews, and give it 5 stars out of ten, write up your critcal analysis, do your job, and move on to the next victim. But this constant stabing stabing stabing. And all for what you f***wit British press? Because The Smiths were better? Because the Queen is Dead made you cum in your shorts upon first playing it? Well, f*** me. He is still making music that is better than 99% of the shit out there. Sorry you whores, Vox, Melody Maker, NME, whomever, can't you f***ing understand.

IT JUST WAS'NT LIKE THE OLD DAYS ANYMORE
NO IT WAS'NT LIKE THOSE DAYS

So bugger off and get off his back!

Bitches!

p.p.p.s. what were the questions she asked again?

Re: You Are A Twat!!

'Twat'? Excuse me. I'm just trying to get a qualification. If you're not going to help me then don't say anything at all. I'm sorry if i sounded offensive, it really wasn't meant to sound that way at all. I am infact a Smiths' fan. I need your opinions so i can come back at the statements people make that actually ARE insulting about Morrissey's image, if i'm to write well about it.

> himself/themselves?

I like the cult non-popularist aspect. He's ours, The Smiths are our bible.. They belong here! Morrissey's evasiveness ios frsutrating but fun.. It's part of the game. And I'm sure he visits here.

I think he was more genuine than he is now., But America would spoil the pope I'm sure. The hearing aid etc was surely a statement to appeal to te frailties of the human nature and rejoice in imperfection. Follow a trend? No. The flowers and the specs caught on but let's face it.. the hearing aid would look lke you're taking the piss.

I worked on attaining a Morreissey stomach.. circa 1986, for a while. the remnants still remain! Bought a jacket inspired by the cover of Vauxhal&I as well. Yet to wear it.. but it'd be a day I choose when I dress top thrill..

I've always respected animals rights.. yet am a meat eater.. is that a contradiction? probably, but I care, and would be an anti hunt voter, even though this part of Cheshire is daubed with pro hunting slogans everywhere along lonesome B roads.

> to youths?

Does his image appeal to youth? I don't think it appeals to any majority. Hence this little corner. His words appeal more than the image. Don't confuse the meassge with the aesthetic.

Male looking for something.. ahh there it is..

Ruffian

> following.

First to discuss someone or something, that you hold dear, deeply, or with great affection, admiration, and love, is to reduce that person or thing immediately, for we are limited by are ability to only convey that which we feel through the use of language. While written words on a page can be very moving, they cannot convey nor reveal the utmost depths of our hearts. I can never tell my mother, sister, father, Morrissey, how much I love them, because the way I feel is beyond words, beyond the capacity of language. You dig?

> himself/themselves?

First, this should have been broken up into 2 distinct questions as what you are asking before one / is the opposite of what you are asking after the prose which follow said /. Hence, I will do it for you:

1.1) What do you like about the way Morrissey or The Smiths portray himself/themselves?

Ah, that is better. So much cleaner and easier to answer now. What do I like? This is difficult to answer because I'm fairly certain I could write a novella on the subject. You know what? It is easier to just take one thing, rather then catalog the ways I love them.

Morrissey - is really funny. In interviews, print, radio, whether they are talking to him live or he is just faxing back, he is hysterical. Acerbic mind you, but funny as a stand up comic, a top notch one of course. Nothing is tacky
Only the best! Lush girls, older and dying, Sighing and crying, This is success!

Morrissey is the most intelligent, handsome, well read, poetic, eccentric, pop singer of all time. His voice is haunting, like a voice from the grave. His lyrics, the stuff of literary genius. His live performances were more of a right of passage/conversion than just going to any old show. He could have been a model. He is soooooooo sensitive. He feels what we feel. He expresses what we cannot. His knowledge of English culture from Oscar Wilde to present day, in books, film, television, and especially pop music, is that of someone with a Ph.D. in said subjects. He does not suffer fools gladly. He speaks his mind. He is himself. He has been touched by the hand of God, and is something of an angel or prophet, hence the cult-like worship, wherein we are all people of Smithdom, we are all devotees.

So I ask you? How can someone so wonderful sing words so sad?

The Smiths -

Andy - nice guy, was always good to Mozzer, very very loyal. The 80,000 Pounds he settled with Morrissey & Marr for was unfair to him, but you don't see him bitching about it.

Joyce - sued the pants of Mozzer, won, deserved the money, and is a-okay by me...also loyal to Mozzer in the early days, and like Rourke would have stayed on in Moz's band, if asked.

Johnny Marr - What DO I like about him? He paid the 750,000 Pounds Sterling the High Court said he owned Joyce. What DID I like about him? He was one the top 100 guitar players of all time, just ask Rolling Stone. Also, Johnny was no lackey, every clip I've ever seen of the Smiths, Marr has a different guitar which surely costs more than the carrots & fruits Mozzer requested for supper. J. Marr had his own style, constantly changing, re-inventing himself, as a Smith. By contrast, Morrrissey's transformations were really just the true evolution of his person and the touchy march of time, i.e. getting older.

1.1.) What do you dislike about the way Morrissey or The Smiths portray himself/themselves?

Morrissey - this position he has held, it has paid his way, but corroded his soul (re: Joyce $$$$$).

Andy - nothing negative.

Joyce - I'd have to read the bloody court transcript, nothing I know of.

Johnny Marr - well if this is not a bitch to answer! HE HE HE oficially ended the Smiths, broke them up, pulled the plug, severed the alliance, walked away, etc. But, he was under tremendous pressure as Morrissey is known for not being easy to get along with, or I should say being very controling, such that The Smiths could never have a proper manager, hence they were never properly managed. Management duties, composing, guitar playing, producing, etc., were just some of the many hats that Mr. Marr had to wear. So, can you really blame him for walking away? Not really, but here is the thing. He could have had the decency to allow them to tour for Strangeways Here We Come, so that it could have gone where other Smiths' albums had, namely to #1 on the UK charts, instead that abysmal place in ended up peaking at. In addition, Morrissey has said that he would be open to working with J. Marr again, and loved Marr's music. As a result, it is J. Marr who keeps the alliance from being re-united, even if only for touring purposes. Therefore, it is ultimately Johnny Marr's decision to never work with Steven Patrick Morrissey again. As a result, Johnny Marr is a wanker, at the very least.

Don't be a duffer! The image is real. The baby is not!

Um, I have a nice set of hair. Sometimes, I let my sideburns grow a bit, and keep the sides and back very short while growing out the front and the top. Is it the influence of Moz? I dunno!!!

I feel guilty everytime I eat a cheeseburger.

> to youths?

Youths appealed to Mozzer because he is a pedophile.

Have you ever heard that gender is a construct? Bollocks, either you have a cock or you don't!!

Male.

You are welcome, Limey Twat!!!

Re: You Are A Twat!!

yeah, moz, the poor lamb... and his life has not even begun.

> himself/themselves?
a lack of macho-ness, believing in their own importance, intelligence, eccentricity.
i don't think so.
if moz had cared that much about youth he probably would have dressed more conventionally.
no
it made me think about vegetariansm but not bother with it. I've always contemplated the idea though.
> to youths?
I think it's more his lyrics and the way he summarises universal feelings so perfectly, and his entertaining personality. however, image wise, he stands out, so you wouldn't forget him.

Female. BTW I'm doing media as well.

I hope this isn't a waste of my time. when, i took Media studies...we looked at BBC's censorship of Sein Fein's Gerry Adams...Noam Chomsky...Gee
But i'll help you out....

> following.

> himself/themselves?

Well, i was into the same hing so it was organic..Oscar wilde/i am witty sometimes/love the irish/british music but felt guilty/maladroit socially..i am girl afraid.....There was a girl
on my street who wore horseback riding pants..introduced me to Morrissey.I already got into New Order,Depeche,Cure from radio....
I hate the various misrepresentation?/ outlandish statements that sound racist or fascistic because you are confounded with a slightly tarnished Morrissey -far from your lofty ideals of aesthetic good taste...Is it him? He can't always be misquoted? Are the lyrics really racist or just takes on the voice/persona of a racist? Can avegetarian be fiascistic? can soemone go from labour to a so-called following of Queer RW neonazis in Amsterdam? Is it hypocritical for a vegetarian be a misanthrope?Or organic?
So the faux persona, the deal persona and media positive persoan conflict--which is all in the game plan.Morrissey's love of contradiction/androgeneous/ambiguous just piques our curiosity and annoys Them (tabloids,mainstream)...

I really don't know.In hindsight, sure it did..The national Health glasses..To this day, midle class kids all want to look poor.At my university, i'd get confused from the hispters to the working class handyman - blue sloacks, sideburns and NH glasses...turned me on not the classist spoiled children who attended the place.

Mid-90s grey jeans unhemmed roll-over...Even ambiguous women can't take cues.
Though had infatuatrions with half-irish/japanese boys with quifs and NH glasses..but they were airheads.
It takes more than fashion to be.
Today, everyone and their mothers don punk paraphenalia..faux westwood...
i bet these kiddies wouldn't know punk...ditto for the goth generation -thank you mariulyn manson.they're so transparent.
Not really...I was involved with Greenpeace and Amnesty at a young age...I am afraid of animals . Come from a long line of carnivores.My vegetarian grandmother died of uterine cancer.
I came to loathe vegetarians in fact..the ones that smell up the bathrooms in arts faculty,the pseudo part-time ones, the food terrorists, the inculpablisers...Eating meat has been tolerated.
Meat is murder song just reminds me a this very bad steer burger i had that smelled of leather..Burger bites back.
I love little lambs very much.lammy

> to youths?
The dispossessed, misunderstood, already depressed kids so it was an already established market.Blur's Damon Albarn attacked singers who feed on depressive hooks in a bad cycle..we're not all happy.you just gravitate towards it..
He understands me, he is me ...i guess narcissism...The wheel continues- ie Moz and his idols -his adoration, mementos, elvis style,his short-lived glam days...
Isn't everyone susceptible to trends? But is it a trend or just cosmic glue of kindred spirits?
In sum, a sharp mind and sharp dresser....perennial loser in all of us but celebrated.we're just losers.
Female

> following.

> himself/themselves?

I liked the anti-fashion of Morrissey's early look ... cardigans, NHS specks etc. I nice counterpoint to what was in vogue at the time. Morrissey still dresses very well ... he elegant and has excellent taste.

I think the hearing aid was a kind of "in-joke", although everything else seemed genuine. Photos of Morrissey "in public" were always the same as onstage or in videos. He wasn't camping it up for the camera. I don't think Morrissey ever saw himself as some sort of "spokeman for a generation and didn't asire to be a leader of youth.

I've worn thick NHS style specs for about 8-9 years, but I've always liked that style, even pre-Morrissey. Plus v-neck jumpers, Fred Perry shirts and Doc. Martens boots. The kind of standard indie kid look I guess.

It made me _think_ a lot more about animal rights. I eat meat, but don't eat factory farmed chicken (at least, not usually), don't eat veal etc. I don't think killing animals is necessarily wrong, but I don't think animals should be treated with cruelty.

> to youths?

He's an outsider.

Male, 28 y/o

1) Nothing really. They can portray themselves any damn way they please. One thing that has been bothersome is Morrissey's reluctance to explain himself on certain issues regarding his portrayal of himself. This is his prerogative however and adds to his mystery, which I dig.

2) I think Morrissey has been very sincere. I mean, he's stuck with the quiff for twenty plus years. It's not some passing fancy and it is an identifier. I do, however, admit that it is a possibility that he has grown tired of it and has kept it to keep the fans happy. However, I hope this is not the case.

3) Kind of. I own an "I don't eat my friends" shirt like the one he has been photographed wearing and the one worn by the girl in the "Everyday Is Like Sunday" video. I have also adopted a more stripped down, basic style since becoming a devotee. I have my uniform as I call it. Generally black or grey tshirt, jeans or a denim skirt, and a cardigan. But I dressed like that a lot before I became a fan. It's more about comfort and simplicity than it is about looking indie.

4) Not my favorite song, but I did become a vegetarian for Morrissey. I was going to my first ever Moz concert (September 6, 2002 at the House of Blues in Las Vegas) and had heard he'd been playing "Meat Is Murder." I stopped for lunch at In 'N' Out and realized I'd feel like an asshole if I ate a cheeseburger and then heard that song. I got grilled cheese instead and have been meat-free ever since.

5) He's like the classical tortured, tragic figure who isn't all that tragic in that he didn't die young. He's like a Byron, Shelley, Keats, Rimbaud, or Dean who survived. He sings about things that matter to young people thus making them feel less alone. Not everyone can relate to songs about how great it is to be the prom queen or to date the prom queen. Also, I personally love how he made geek chic, although that phrase really belongs on the Jenny Jones show.

6) Female.

I hate you!!

Because your post was so organized with all those numbers, and it was well written too.

I think I'm in lerv!

Not.

Well done.

Re: I hate you!!

Golly. Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated, even if it's just for one's silly internet banter.

Re: I hate you!!

You should be thankful...that there are still buffets in town that will allow you and your 3 asses to come in and eat....... fatty!!!!

Don't you ever tire of repeating the same jokes day in, day out?

Seriously, get a new schtick.

> following.

> himself/themselves?

I like the way Morrissey interacts with his fans while he's performing. He's very gracious. He dresses impeccably. His hair, when he had more of it, was the best hairstyle I've ever seen.

What does starting a trend have to do with genuineness? I think Morrissey controls his image very carefully. He likes to be seen in the best possible light. I think the hair was simply his retro fashion sense and a tribute to his musical and cinematic heroes. I think Moz' attempts to maintain some privacy combined with his shyness have led to a lot of misunderstandings over the years. I don't think he ever intended to start a trend, unless you count building a fan base for the music itself. Anyway, who's going to start wearing a hearing aid? It was just a statement. Oh, maybe the flower trend was intentional.

I used to take a Your Arsenal picture to the hairstylist.

Yes. It was one of several factors that led me to be vegetarian during my teens.

> to youths?

Morrissey is very fashion-conscious, like young people are. He also has an outsider's image and a youthful arrogance, both of which appeal to young people.

Male