a question for all musicians/songwriters/aspiring ones/etc

How exactly do you come up with a vocal melody that has structure, that sounds good? How is it possible to come up with one at all? Where do you start? it seems so impossible to me

street, to respond to (not answer) a very difficult question, there are at least a few ways: 1) given a certain proficiency on a particular instrument (e.g. guitar, piano), one just noodles around until something emerges that one subsequently crafts to improve; 2) one 'hears' a melody, or a fragment of one, in one's mind that one picks out on that given instrument. So, you can either tease it out of you, or find it springing out of your subconscious. Of course, some people seem to have a natural gift for it (thinking of McCartney, here, for one...)...

Well, I think a lot of it has to do with the words themselves. Try singing the lyrics of one random to song to the melody of another, it's difficult. Obviously the timing and syllable count will be off, but, it's just really hard the warp the sound of the words to fit any melody. It also depends a lot on whether the music has already been written (like with Morrissey's writing) or is being written around the lyrics. To me, and I'm no professional songwriter though, but to me, I think it seems much harder to actually come up with a vocal melody with just the lyrics and no music yet, but much harder to fit the lyrics to music that is already written. I'm going a bit off-topic, sorry. :o I guess a way to start is just looking at the lyrics, coming up with the general idea of the music, and taking it slowly, taking into consideration everything at every step along the way, so all the components develop together. Just try to fit the lyrics and the music together slowly, and try to develop the music around any melody that presents itself.

Back
Top Bottom