A question about The Sound of The Smiths

Were the tracks on CD2 remastered as well, and if so by Johnny?
And does anyone know if that was the case with "What she said", "Rubber ring" and "The draize train" (all three were iTunes bonus tracks) as well?

the only song I was able to find any difference on was you just have havent earned it yet baby. this may seem like a dumb question but what is the point of remastering songs.

I noticed a difference throughout, especially with regards to bass. Maybe it depends on what system you listen on, as I doubt for instance, I would notice a difference if I played it on my ipod.

the only song I was able to find any difference on was you just have havent earned it yet baby. this may seem like a dumb question but what is the point of remastering songs.

*shrugs* So they sound as originally intended, but couldn't have been because of the technology.

I think you can also notice a big difference in the "This Charming Man" versions featured on the discs. :thumb:

what is the point of remastering songs.

1-Give a modern shine to old-style mastering/production.

2-Make the recordings louder because that's what people want today: something loud even if it means a loss in sound quality (ie dynamic range)

3-Get you to buy the same albums/material over and over again

Nowadays most people listen to their music on ipods and computer speakers, so I guess sound quality is not that important. As long as there is not a drop in sound level when Morrissey comes up in the playlist, most people are happy (hence reason #2).

1-Give a modern shine to old-style mastering/production.

2-Make the recordings louder because that's what people want today: something loud even if it means a loss in sound quality (ie dynamic range)

3-Get you to buy the same albums/material over and over again

Nowadays most people listen to their music on ipods and computer speakers, so I guess sound quality is not that important. As long as there is not a drop in sound level when Morrissey comes up in the playlist, most people are happy (hence reason #2).

Regarding #2, on iPods you can go into each track and specify that it plays at a louder volume (e.g. +50% louder). Sometimes it's hard to get older stuff to play at the right volume compared to newer tracks, so that the listening is smooth from album to album, but in any case it's a cheaper alternative. And you can avoid #3. :)

Back
Top Bottom