A new one for Mozzer's intermission viddies?

Mel_Torment

Dismember
Morrissey has used songs and viddy before that feature his name. I thought this one might be kind of apt for his US tour leg. It's from a straight-to-video kind of movie ("There Goes My Baby") that was playing on tv in the wee hours of the morning. Morrissey was in town (L.A.) to interview Joni Mitchell (interview published in Rolling Stone magazine and also put on a Sire promo disc - late '90s) when he awoke to this very scene where Rick Schroder is shouting, "Morrissey's dead!" Surreal, no?

I didn't write "Morrissey's dead" in the title because I didn't want to cause panic...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very surreal, indeed. I think it would fit in very well.

:lbf:
"Morrissey told me he was going to Canada -- I called him a pussy." :D

Ricky! (Never Rick :rolleyes:) Nice find, Mel. I could see this vid at Mozzer's show.

Hmm...Ricky filmed Last Flight of Noah's Ark in Hawaii (which may have gone straight to video), Elvis loved Hawaii & filmed a couple of movies there, Elvis was in the Army, Morrissey is influenced by Elvis... also, Tiger Army once opened for Moz. /full circle :D Who needs Kevin Bacon.

Seymour Cassel :bow: Your best friend's dead, but here kid...have a beer. :thumb:

OMG, that would be awesome!

There's a Roger Moore film, called The Man Who Wouldn't Die, in which Sir Rog plays a writer menaced by the inspiration for his villianous literary creation, one Ian Morrissey. I recall that at one point a perturbed Sir Rog is rattling around his big, eerie house demading the elusive "Morrissey" show himself. I'm sure a clip from that would be fun to add to the viddies. :)

EDIT: Assuming it's not been used before.

Ricky! (Never Rick :rolleyes:) Nice find, Mel. I could see this vid at Mozzer's show.

Hmm...Ricky filmed Last Flight of Noah's Ark in Hawaii (which may have gone straight to video), Elvis loved Hawaii & filmed a couple of movies there, Elvis was in the Army, Morrissey is influenced by Elvis... also, Tiger Army once opened for Moz. /full circle :D Who needs Kevin Bacon.

Seymour Cassel :bow: Your best friend's dead, but here kid...have a beer. :thumb:

C'mon, C! I used "Rick" instead of "Ricky" cos our boy's all grown up. This was one of his first more or less adult roles, so per his imdb listing, I used Rick. I've gotten stick from upset Silver Spoons fanz before for using "Rick" instead of "Ricky" so in my obstinate, perverse way I decided to keep on using "Rick" :lbf:.

Anyroad, the film is set in L.A., Westwood (home to mainly middle-class and rich kids -- white, it goes without saying - the token black dude is from Watts and works at the restaurant) to be more precise in the mid-60s. The movie's premise is anchored on the closing of Pop's teen hangout-restaurant, signalling the end of an era and the beginning of a new chaotic one. They're all dressed psuedo-Hawaiian because that's the restaurant's theme.

Who needs Kevin Bacon? We all do! :p

You're right, Seymour Cassel :thumb: for giving the kid a beer and telling him it's okay for him to go to Vietnam even though he's gonna die like everyone else. Is it just me, or does he resemble Rip Torn?

This is very surreal, indeed. I think it would fit in very well.

:lbf:
"Morrissey told me he was going to Canada -- I called him a pussy." :D

For clubbing baby seals? :p

I've had more than 10 years to study this clip. I feel like I could be going in Diana-Morrissey phenomenon obsession over details :lbf:, but here are some thoughts on why I think the filmmakers deliberately named the James Morrissey character Morrissey and were goofin' on El Mozzer's image:

-The newscaster's narrative of Morrissey being "severely depressed" and hanging himself "while alone in his jail cell" is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. The "real" story is that it's a cover-up for police brutality -- they beat the protester to death after arresting him.

-If the actor's eyebrows were heavier, he'd be a pretty good double of a younger Morrissey

-In TGMB, James Morrissey is a protester --> "I thought if you had an acoustic guitar it meant that you were a PROTEST singer..."

-Tenuous, I know, but I was reminded of "Last Night I Dreamt ..." whenever I saw the worker's shirt that says "Last Nite" (sic).

-The B&W news footage of the movie character burning his draft card is reminescent of old Smiths footage of Moz at one of the fevered concerts were he dances erratically and gets drawn into the audience by overzealous apostles.

There's a Roger Moore film, called The Man Who Wouldn't Die, in which Sir Rog plays a writer menaced by the inspiration for his villianous literary creation, one Ian Morrissey. I recall that at one point a perturbed Sir Rog is rattling around his big, eerie house demading the elusive "Morrissey" show himself. I'm sure a clip from that would be fun to add to the viddies. :)

EDIT: Assuming it's not been used before.

Not that I've seen it used in intermission viddies.

I'm gonna investigate "The Man Who Wouldn't Die"! Hope I can netflix it. Thanks for the interesting tip!

I thought that too! I'm sure Moz would appreciate the coincidence. :D

Ah yes, I forgot another coincidence -- Dermot Mulroney's character says, "I'm going to finish what Morrissey started" and immediately in my mind I hear the electric guitar start-stop twang of the opening chords to "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish". Fitting as the protest character James Morrissey did indeed start something he couldn't finish (on account of being dead from being beaten brutally by the police).

Tried to netflix The Man Who Wouldn't Die. Not in their catalogue, nor is it in Blockbuster's. Oh well, someday.

And besides that movie, if anyone can track down a video recording of Bourée Hysterique aka Jump that was broadcast during "Alive from Off-Center" (a PBS show), I'd be very grateful. I've researched the usual suspects, i.e. youtube. They have tons of Laurie Anderson, but no Bourée Hysterique. When I have time I'll look at UC/CSU library system for recordings.

Last edited:
C'mon, C! I used "Rick" instead of "Ricky" cos our boy's all grown up. This was one of his first more or less adult roles, so per his imdb listing, I used Rick. I've gotten stick from upset Silver Spoons fanz before for using "Rick" instead of "Ricky" so in my obstinate, perverse way I decided to keep on using "Rick" :lbf:.

Anyroad, the film is set in L.A., Westwood (home to mainly middle-class and rich kids -- white, it goes without saying - the token black dude is from Watts and works at the restaurant) to be more precise in the mid-60s. The movie's premise is anchored on the closing of Pop's teen hangout-restaurant, signalling the end of an era and the beginning of a new chaotic one. They're all dressed psuedo-Hawaiian because that's the restaurant's theme.

Who needs Kevin Bacon? We all do! :p

You're right, Seymour Cassel :thumb: for giving the kid a beer and telling him it's okay for him to go to Vietnam even though he's gonna die like everyone else. Is it just me, or does he resemble Rip Torn?

I'm joking. I liked Silver Spoons (I'm not a crazed fan) I will just always think of him as Ricky. :D

Yes, Seymour does look like Rip! :lbf:

The movie premise sounds a bit like 90210 & the Peach Pit and the kids going off to college. Only without the protests and shootings and death. Too bad.

p.s. Noah Wyle :horny:

I'm joking. I liked Silver Spoons (I'm not a crazed fan) I will just always think of him as Ricky. :D

Yes, Seymour does look like Rip! :lbf:

The movie premise sounds a bit like 90210 & the Peach Pit and the kids going off to college. Only without the protests and shootings and death. Too bad.

p.s. Noah Wyle :horny:

My thoughts exactly on the Peach Pit similarity. There was a place in West L.A. called the Apple Pan or somesort and I heard it was the inspiration for the Peach Pit. It was kind of meh when I last went in the early 90s.

My dream is to open a 50s themed vegan diner that's open very late at night plus a performance space that looks like the Salford's Lads Club on the outside and is an English pub on the inside. Then my friends and I can decorate it with our autographed collectibles like rare mispressings and some of Johnny Marr's guitars -- like Hard Rock Cafe, only much cooler. The vegan chef I have in mind is the boyfriend of an apostle who occasionally posts on cholow. ;) Maybe the building could be located on Manchester (in Inglewood) near the titty bars and other airport neighborhood businesses.

Topless tandoori is next, along with donut bitch -- a dominatrix who's got a black strap-on "cone" piled high with doughnuts, going around aggressively offering doughnuts to the patrons. It's a joke that takes far too long to explain here...

Noah Wyle? I forgot he was in the movie. But I guess I really only watched it for the "Morrissey's dead" scene.

As for Bourée Hysterique, I found in the UC melvyl catalogue. VHS old skool, baybee! Trick is how to borrow it without current privileges. Good thing, I know a UC librarian or two. :)

Looking at some worthless viddy on youtube, I stumbled across this old gem. It's notable mainly for the substitution "the more you ABHOR me..."
[youtube]VKCIMzRBUH4&NR=1[/youtube]

Make the dream real, Mel. :) Tho I prefer my donuts without dildos. I think.

p.s. Orange you glad you didn't write your original title for this thread? :o Panicing, regardless.

Make the dream real, Mel. :) Tho I prefer my donuts without dildos. I think.

p.s. Orange you glad you didn't write your original title for this thread? :o Panicing, regardless.

OMG, I am SOOO very glad I did not use the original title. But I wouldn't have been in much danger because I'm very cross whenever someone attempts a juvenile hoax like that about Morrissey.

Re: 50s vegan diner and Salford Lads/Gals Club...I WILL make the dream real...first I need to buy a winning lottery ticket or something. Last week I got a fortune cookie message (Chinese vegetarian restaurant) that said I "will never need to worry about an income." I wondered, "Is that because soon I'll be dead?" I mean, when one is dead, one doesn't worry about things like money, eating, getting to the front of the stage, etc.

And re: donuts and dildos -- how do you know you won't prefer your donuts with a dominatrix offering them to you on a jutting black dildo? Have you ever tried it that way? :p

Kind of reminds me of the sassy Ed Debevic's (in Beverly Hills back in the day, though I know it's originally from Chicago) service. Sometimes the waiters would slide into the booth and get real cosy with us. Always got compliments on my Smiffs shirts. The servers were said to sometimes be comically snotty, but I never experienced that -- just wacky and extremely extroverted servers.

Back
Top Bottom